ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compatible bushings
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a friend who was given a Texan progressive 12 ga press. Can anyone tell me if
the P-W, Spolar or Pacific bushings are compatible with it

Post subject: Re: Compatible bushings
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

No, all three of those brands of both powder and shot bushings will not fit the Texan loaders, but they do fit any of the three different types of currently-made loading presses that you listed (PW, Spolar, Pacific/Hornady). The Pacific is also called Hornady (the current owner of rights to make Deitemeyer designed presses). The Texan loading presses use two different bushing sizes, and the MEC line and the Lee Load-all loaders use unique sizes and designs, too.

Texan powder bushings need to be 0.810" outside diameter. Shot bushings need to be 0.870-0.875" OD.

If you need those special Texan bushings, see this listing on eBay/picClick:
https://picclick.com/Texan-reloading-po ... 28961.html

The PW/Spolar/Hornady/RCBS standard bushing ODs are 0.875" for powder, and 1.000" for shot.

However, the "standard" powder bushings use different labeling based upon who made them. For example, a Pacific/Hornady or an RCBS or a Spolar bushing is labeled with the inner diameter of the hole through the bushing. Simple. A PW bushing uses a letter label just for some variety. (Kinda Nuts).

And, the charge weights of "same" size bushings in the drop charts provided by each manufacturer will be different even though the inner diameter is the same. So, just be aware that you will HAVE to use a powder scale to check if any bushing will drop the weight that your load recipe calls for, when in operation in your loader, fully charged with shells like you do when actually loading ammo.

good luck, garrisonjoe

Last edited by garrisonjoe on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't have a Texan loader, but I have been led to believe that PW and Hornady, RCBS powder bushings are the same outside diameter as the Texan shot bushings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks, Slowpoke. I was mistaken about Texan bushings. I corrected my earlier post.

I thought the Bair and the Texan took the same bushings, and now, thanks to you, I know better!

good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:49 am 
Crown Grade

Slowpoke Rodriguez wrote:
I don't have a Texan loader, but I have been led to believe that PW and Hornady, RCBS powder bushings are the same outside diameter as the Texan shot bushings.

Correct. Could open up a powder bushing to become a shot bushing.

Iv'e seen TX bushings on Fleabay, but I haven't looked in a long time.

I recall there's some adapters to use Mec powder bushings in PW/Hornady bushings though. Dunno if there's a Texan adapter. I had a bunch of TX bushings but gave them to the buyer when I sold the TX single stage reloader I grew up with.

PW shot bushings are steel. I like the way Hornady numbers powder bushings by the ID. No stoopid chart needed.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601