ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20g Powder Question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey all...It's been a while for me in these forum's. It's nice to be back...
I went back to reloading 20g for skeet shooting, and am using up the last of the Universal..A friend told me about Winchester 572. I've never heard of it, and cannot find anything on the boards here..

Any real world opinions on this powder? I can't get my hands on Universal, and apparently, there's 572 kicking around.
WinAA HS hulls
Claybuster 7/8 ounce
Win209 Primers
1200 fps is the goal...

Much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: 20g Powder Question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:57 pm 
Limited Edition

If you go to Hodgdon.com reloading data, they have several loads using Win 572.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:24 am 
Tournament Grade

Yea, I've found the data. It's very similar to Universal weight, and it's been mentioned that it meters similar to Longshot..

I guess my concern is, that I take these boards seriously. The fact that nobody on these boards talks about this powder, it that I've only recently heard about it caught me off balance...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:27 am 
Field Grade

You may want to take a look at Hodgdon's International too. Works well in my 3/4 ounce loads.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks ..But it's about availability right now.
I used International for 1 1/8 loads in the past..

But the data is the data..If I can get my hands on an 8lber of 527, so be it...

If it works out, I'll become an apostle for the product..
Love the Universal, but when one door closes, another one opens...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:17 am 
Crown Grade

I have not used 572 - actually never heard of it before reading this thread. But I have used Universal/International Clays, Unique, Vectan A0, and Alliant 20/28. Since you live in Canada, availability may be your #1 concern. I know from using it for about 5 or 6 years now that the Vectan A0 is an excellent 20 GA target load powder. It is rumored that it will not be available this side of the Atlantic going forward. A have about 20 pounds left, so I'm good for a couple more years. :D

When the Vectan is gone, I will go back to using Alliant 20/28. It is one of the very best powders for 20 GA target loads that I have ever used. And it costs a little less than the 572 as listed on Brownell & Powder Valley websites.

Unfortunately, we are all at the mercy of 'Out-of-stock' pandemic right now and prices are inflated and availability is almost nil. Good luck with your quest and buy whatever you can find available at this time. But I would suggest that 20/28 would be a better fit for your application.

Retired

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I haven’t used any 572, but I’ve read positive comments about it. I’ve had excellent results with all of the Olin ball powders that I’ve used. I would expect that 572 would be no different

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:07 am 
Crown Grade

Pijetro wrote:
Yea, I've found the data. It's very similar to Universal weight, and it's been mentioned that it meters similar to Longshot..

I guess my concern is, that I take these boards seriously. The fact that nobody on these boards talks about this powder, it that I've only recently heard about it caught me off balance...

I think it only came out a few years ago. Many already have their "pet loads".

FWIW, some other Win powders are very dense, so that could be good or bad for stack height.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:10 pm 
Limited Edition

I had a 1lb jug hanging around. I loaded up some 28 gauge yesterday. This is dense powder! For the WW AA HS hulls, I’m using the same bushing I use for loading 410. This results in lots of room in the HS hulls. I think you will be happy with 572.
For the 20ga loads, you will drop a good deal more grains but you should find it an easy fit, with really low pressures if you are using tubes. I tend to load Winchester Super Field for my 20 gauge loads. I gather it may not have been as popular as Alliant 20/20, or Universal; it sure made it a bit easier to find.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:23 pm 
Limited Edition

I've used 20 pounds or more of 572 since it was introduced a few years ago. It seems similar to Longshot in terms of density and metering ability. I've used it in both 20 and 28 gauge loads. It's a good choice to consider anytime, if it's the only thing you have now, use it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ok. So I wanted to follow up with my experience using the Win572 powder for my WinAA skeet loads.

It measures similar to Longshot, as suggested. The stack height and crimps are PERFECT.
Best of all, the felt recoil is short of a 28g load.
After dropping 3 birds out of 50, I ended up shooting 98/100 the next day, in very windy conditions..Head stayed on the stock the whole time..

So much so, that I'm starting to question about why I'm even shooting 12gauge at all. But that's a topic for another day..

All in all, it was lucky to have stumbled across this little known, but fantastic powder. And I'm an official spokesman for this powder's value. Thanks to all ..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

20/28 works so well I just have not seen a need to try anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Bill M. wrote:
20/28 works so well I just have not seen a need to try anything else.

But good luck at finding any on dealer shelves right now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Pijetro sounds like you found a winning combination!