ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dusty shot?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:02 pm 
Field Grade

Got some dusty shot from my brother,is it safe to use ? Is there any way of cleaning it?

Post subject: Re: Dusty shot?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:26 pm 
Limited Edition

It has probably oxidized, which it isn't good to breath that stuff in.

You could possibly regraphite it, but I have melted such shot down to make sinkers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:35 pm 
Field Grade

southdakbearfan wrote:
It has probably oxidized, which it isn't good to breath that stuff in.

You could possibly regraphite it, but I have melted such shot down to make sinkers.

I here yea on oxidation,Can I wash it then load it? Get rid of the dust? Maybe were a mask ?Just asking ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Possibly, I have heard of guys washing with a water vinegar mix, then coat with graphite again.

Always seemed like way to much trouble to me so I have never tried it.

Some guys will load it like it is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:56 am 
Crown Grade

Dusty white, or dust Black?

Black is just extra graphite on the shot, and not the end of the world.

White is the shot has oxidized, and really don't want to be breathing that dust; neither reloading it, nor shooting it into the wind.

There is always wet tumbling it, so the oxidation can be removed as a slurry to keep it from going air born, drying it out, and re-graphite it, but is going to be a mess and a lot of work.

For say half a bag of shot, would just re-smelt it to turn into some clean lead for casting again, while if a great deal of bags, then could make sense to get into the mess with a media tumbler or smooth bore concrete mizer to clean it up instead.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:35 am 
Diamond Grade

I had a bag that had oxidized after getting wet on the cellar floor. I rinsed it in a 5-gal bucket, dried it in the sun on a piece of canvas, put it in a couple of plastic containers and added some graphite to it.
Shot is too hard to come by to throw it away!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:21 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Moffett wrote:
Got some dusty shot from my brother,is it safe to use ? Is there any way of cleaning it?

WD-40.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:33 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a spare brass tumbler. Half a bag of shot and some spray on graphite for 30 minutes shines it up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:20 am 
Crown Grade

I have mixed 1 - 2 cups of that type shot into a bag of new and never looked back.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:49 am 
Crown Grade

Probably oxidation. If it will feed through your reloader without bridging, just load it and shoot it. If it won't feed consistently, add a tiny bit of graphite powder. Most of your exposure to the dust will occur when pouring it out of the bag which you will also have to do when trying to clean it. Trying to clean it will really solve nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

Like already stated, if it is white dust on old shot that is lead oxide which is considered toxic to skin and breath.

Keep that old white shot wet to keep the dust down on it and out of your lungs. Luckily lead oxide dissolves in water and lead itself don't. Wash the shot in a bucket of soapy water (open the bag under water) spread out to dry, and mix in a bit of graphite.

Cleaning the oxidized shot will keep you from breathing in the dust when you dump it into your hopper and drop it.

I won't be having anymore kids so if the oxidized shot does not hang up in the drop tube I won't bother washing it. :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:17 am 
Field Grade

Dano523 wrote:
Dusty white, or dust Black?

Black is just extra graphite on the shot, and not the end of the world.

White is the shot has oxidized, and really don't want to be breathing that dust; neither reloading it, nor shooting it into the wind.

There is always wet tumbling it, so the oxidation can be removed as a slurry to keep it from going air born, drying it out, and re-graphite it, but is going to be a mess and a lot of work.

For say half a bag of shot, would just re-smelt it to turn into some clean lead for casting again, while if a great deal of bags, then could make sense to get into the mess with a media tumbler or smooth bore concrete mizer to clean it up instead.
Shot is gray looking,I have about seventy pounds in coffee cans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:27 am 
Crown Grade

It's probably oxidation mixed with graphite. Try washing a cupful in soapy water.

Randy Wakeman is correct that WD-40 oil will keep the dust down but don't use too much if you try that. Any WD-40 getting into a primer will make for a misfire.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Get a tube of the dry graphite used on locks etc. Put a bit in your coffee can and give a stir or two with a stick or screwdriver..... grey will turn to black, no dust, load and shoot..... Larry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:02 am 
Diamond Grade

Forgive my ignorance but what's the purpose of graphite in the shot?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:49 am 
Crown Grade

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Forgive my ignorance but what's the purpose of graphite in the shot?

The graphite lubricates the shot so that it flows down your drop tube. It mostly isn't needed unless the shot hangs up. Then it is really needed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:53 am 
Diamond Grade

Hadn't thought about that but it makes sense.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
Luckily lead oxide dissolves in water

Lead oxide is NOT soluble in water. If it is removed when you wash shot, it is being loosened from the surface of the shot as fine particles of oxide and suspended in the water. Only if you add a lot of muratic (weak hydrochloric) acid would you actually dissolve the lead oxide. A soapy water solution may help loosen that oxide, but it does not dissolve it. Either way, oxides removed from washing shot will go into whatever drain you pour the wash water. Certainly would not want to put it on your garden.

The fact that lead oxide is very insoluble in water is why shot on flat ground is not a major water pollution source. Oxides on shot form very quickly in the weather, sealing the lead in a tight light-gray coat. Neither the lead metal nor the lead oxide is water soluble, so both stay where they are. Until washed away by erosion. That oxidation is what has happened to many civil war bullets (soft lead, of course).

And because lead oxide is insoluble in water, it was used in paints that did not dissolve in rain or sea water.

So, best suggestion is don't "wash" oxide off of shot. If you need to add a little powdered graphite to the shot to make it flow in loaders, do that. If you remelt the shot, treat the dross that separates from the metal properly.

good luck, garrisonjoe

Last edited by garrisonjoe on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 pm 
Crown Grade

garrisonjoe wrote:
Quote:
Luckily lead oxide dissolves in water

Lead oxide is NOT soluble in water.

Right on, I was wrong. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead(II)_oxide

The purpose of using water is to keep the dust out of the air. Stirring the shot is probably what removes the dust, and soap is a surfactant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Another option than WD40 is to apply a SMALL amount of dry spray lube to the dusty shot. Using a small bottle like an empty one pound powder bottle is ideal. Don't let the dust drift around indoors! Doing this outside if much safer. Put the lid on while mixing.

After the lube dries (it will go on wet) it will inhibit the dust if thoroughly mixed. It may be beneficial to add a small amount of graphite to assure good flow.