ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaking of wad colors.....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

While I was at the NSC for the Triple J a couple weeks ago, a vendor had a bunch of Claybuster wads marked "Grand Special" on the bag. They were the CB 1078-12, which would normally be gray, for 7/8 oz loads, but were actually bright green in color, like the 3/4 oz 20 ga wads CB makes.

I guess they made a special color run for the Grand American or something?

Post subject: Re: Speaking of wad colors.....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I doubt they were really a special run, they were probably a closeout for the Grand that didn't exactly "close out", esp since the Grand was force to move from IL to MO last year.

Probably just too much green colorant at the CB factory they wanted to get rid of, or a shortage of grey.

Honestly I'm surprised they even bother with the colors. I'd be just as happy buying wads that were perfectly clear and save the extra $ for the color

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I really like the color coding.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:34 pm 
Crown Grade

John Henry wrote:
I really like the color coding.

And in the end color does not add that much to the cost. When we wanted to make a solid color part, 95% of the time it was a 3% colorant mix blended with the resin. To color the wads the shades they do I would guess the add is in the 1 - 1.5% range.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:59 pm 
Crown Grade

I've had trappers score my red CB5034 wad flying past a bird as a chip/hit. In competition it is important to have a wad that contrasts with a target's color. Grey is probably better than red, but green contrasts best on an orange and black clay bird.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

CB 28 gauge wads are bright red and, yes, under certain light conditions it looks like a chip off the target.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:17 pm 
Crown Grade

oldthompson wrote:
I've had trappers score my red CB5034 wad flying past a bird as a chip/hit. In competition it is important to have a wad that contrasts with a target's color. Grey is probably better than red, but green contrasts best on an orange and black clay bird.

I'd prefer my wad to MATCH the target color................ :mrgreen: :twisted: :lol:

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

IndyCA35 wrote:
CB 28 gauge wads are bright red and, yes, under certain light conditions it looks like a chip off the target.

Do they make a 28ga wad in orange, maybe I could get a couple more hits scored

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:13 pm 
Field Grade

Were those from Mike Graf? He said they forgot to change the plastic or maybe were clearing out some dye.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:08 pm 
Crown Grade

John Henry wrote:
They were the CB 1078-12, which would normally be gray, for 7/8 oz loads, but were actually bright green in color, like the 3/4 oz 20 ga wads CB makes.

I guess they made a special color run for the Grand American or something?

A very possible scenario, they were running the 3/4 oz. 20 gauge wads and finished that run. Changed the tooling to the 7/8 oz. 12 gauge wad and forgot to drain the resin hopper and clean the injection unit. Some one was told to start up the press, "its ready to go".
And thats how you end up with a "special color" for the Grand, its either that or toss them in the garbage because grinding them up does not pay, re-grind molds like crap.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought a case of green CB 6100’s from CAC that were really 1078’s. Claybuster made a mistake & ran them through the wrong mold. They went to a lot of trouble to track down the purchasers & send out the right wads, all at their cost. I appreciated their effort & will be a customer for life. I suspect these may be some of those still circulating.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 am 
Crown Grade

tash wrote:
I bought a case of green CB 6100’s from CAC that were really 1078’s. Claybuster made a mistake & ran them through the wrong mold.

So you ordered the 6100's but the box came with 1078's? Sounds like a labeling mistake to me.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They were colored, labeled & bagged as 6100’s. After being contacted I started comparing them & they were the same size & configuration as the gray 1078’s. They sent me a case of the right wads & I used the others with 7/8 oz loads.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey Tash--I just bought two bags of CB6100-12 at Sportsman's Whse this week but have not used any yet. I bought them for 1 oz loads in straight wall hulls. How can I tell if they are the right ones? When did you have the problem?

Thanks, Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

February, 2019.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

My CB6100-12 are the correct ones and work great in Federal Top Gun hulls for a 1 oz load.