ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vectan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just a heads up. Graf's has deleted all Vectan powders from their website. A few months ago I asked them if they were going to stock Vectan powder again and the response, via email was no. Was halfa** hoping that it wouldn't go away.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

Post subject: Re: Vectan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hopefully some of the other suppliers will keep stocking it. Vectan A1 for 1 1/8 oz loads and GM3 for 1 oz. loads are my favorite powders, clean, reliable, and best of all cheaper than anything else on the market.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:21 pm 
Crown Grade

They ditched the european domestic market prices of the powder tripled. No one bought any.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:28 pm 
Limited Edition

I don't have high hopes. In addition to Grafs, Ballistic Products not only lists it as out of stock but also no longer available.

I have lots of A1, but only enough AS for a year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:45 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't hold much hope at all. My understanding is that Graf's was the importer, and they've decided not to bring it in any longer.

I'll miss it when my supply is gone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm only familiar with A24. For 12ga powder was the best I have ever used. Although little bulky, different wads took care of that. A single base powder, I assume cheaper to make than double base. I'm surprised that other makers of powder hasn't picked up and making similar powders....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bought and used 3 of the products. AS, A1 and GM3. Used all 3 for 1 1/8 oz. Used all 3 in all sorts of weather temperatures, AS was absolute first choice. Only 6 jugs left... A1 and GM3 work just as well but not as clean and I have a case and a half of each..... I guessed that at some point it would disappear and guess that has happened... of course most all powder sources indicate "out of stock".
Would I purchase again? Absolutely and without hesitation. There were 6 of us using the powders here and we purchased in quantity. Larry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are a lot of single base powders made for the US market, but most are used in centerfire cartridges.

If a single base powder was cheaper to make, the US manufacturers would be making them. The last single base powders used for shotshell reloading were the IMR powders, PB, SR7625 & SR4756. They were extremely expensive to make and they are now gone.

I think you will find that double base powders tend to be a bit more stable over the temperature ranges and I believe a bit more stable in prolonged storage.

As with everything, there are always compromises. I like Vectan stuff and a don't like it, all at once. Certainly intriguing stuff though and a shame to see it go.

I guess that it didn't sell all that well in the long run. The only folks that I know that use it are right here on SGW.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Powders come and go. Looking back through older issues of Lyman’s reloading manuals it’s surprising how many powders are now gone.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well, once my 206V is gone, back to America Select.
Will miss A24 for 7/8 oz.
Now my pocket book will get hit for domestic powder prices.