ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Myth-busters, WW-209s after using Fiocchi primers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:03 am 
Limited Edition

After using Fiocchi primers, I tried some WW-209s in the same hulls. The WW-209s did not fall out.

Post subject: Re: Myth-busters, WW-209s after using Fiocchi primers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

J.Fred_Muggs, What kind of hulls? Can you push the primers in with your fingers or do you need to use the machine.

I have some 16 gauge Fiocchi hulls that will hold Winchester primers. I can push the Winchesters in with my thumb, all but the last few thousandths. I use the loads in an old Model 12, with no issues.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:20 am 
Crown Grade

You didn't bust any myths.

The Fiocchi primers did in fact stretch your primer pockets to dimensions that are fractionally larger than the Winchester primer. The primers might still have enough grip on the sidewall of the pocket to stay in. You might also find one falls out while rattling around in your shell pouch. You might also have one fall out when hit with the bolt of a semi-auto.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:37 am 
Limited Edition

dogchaser37 wrote:
J.Fred_Muggs, What kind of hulls? Can you push the primers in with your fingers or do you need to use the machine.

STS and AAs. I just checked and I cannot push in the WW-209s by hand.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:47 am 
Crown Grade

Your findings depend on how many times you put a Fiocchi into a hull. Once, twice you will be OK. But in the long run there is no way you can insert something into a hole that is larger in diameter and expect something that is smaller in diameter to fit correctly the next time.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just measured some Winchester 209's .242" - .243". The Fiocchi's I punched out are .243" to .244". Probably depends on how far out of round things are, on whether Winchesters will stay in well or not. I don't have any new Fiocchi primers to measure. Like YevetS, posted, the amount of times you have used Fiocchi primers will matter also.

FWIW, the old CCI primers fit very tight in all Fiocchi hulls, they are very close to the same size as the Fiocchi's and the CCI's are out of round.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

DEG wrote:
You didn't bust any myths.

The Fiocchi primers did in fact stretch your primer pockets to dimensions that are fractionally larger than the Winchester primer. The primers might still have enough grip on the sidewall of the pocket to stay in. You might also find one falls out while rattling around in your shell pouch. You might also have one fall out when hit with the bolt of a semi-auto.

+1

It's not a myth; Fiocchis are larger in diameter than Winchesters.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:06 pm 
Crown Grade

I once reloaded some once-fired blue Rio hulls using Fed 209A primers. One forum user had the nerve to call me a liar, saying there was no way those primers would work. Well, they did, and they didn't fall out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

I used to keep a chart of primers that would eventually lead to back outs. but once the chart started looking like John Madden explaining a play with a digital chalkboard, I gave up and now just use calipers.

I can recall using approximately 10 different brands, and that doesn't count the reclaimed primers from guys giving me old reloads.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Out of curiosity I removed a primer from a once-fired, fiber based, Top Gun or Estate. Then inserted and removed a Fiocchi. I could not insert a WW-209 by hand. I then inserted WW-209 with my reloader. It did not fall out. When I removed it with the machine it didn't require noticeably less handle pressure than removing the original or the Fiocchi.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well, a sample of one might not be enough to make a judgement on the whether or not other reloaders are talking through their butts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I’m down on the gulf coast for the holiday or I would measure both. When I looked at them,the Fiochi is cylindrical. The Winchester is tapered. If my memory is correct, up near the rim the Fiochi I measured was only .0005 larger diameter than the Winchester. Further down near the bottom the Winchester was .0015 smaller.
Willie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:37 pm 
Crown Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Out of curiosity I removed a primer from a once-fired, fiber based, Top Gun or Estate. Then inserted and removed a Fiocchi. I could not insert a WW-209 by hand. I then inserted WW-209 with my reloader. It did not fall out. When I removed it with the machine it didn't require noticeably less handle pressure than removing the original or the Fiocchi.

Yes without a doubt that will work, but is not what the past posts on this subject have been about.
Put a Fiocchi primer into a Win AA hull with your load and fire it. Now reload it 4 more times with a Fiocchi primer. Now put a Win primer back into it.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I still run a lot of Blue Magics/Peters Target using Fiocchi primers since the 80's. Multiple firing with Win primers made the primer pockets sloppy. Switching to Fiocchi cured that problem. Now the hulls tend to get worn out before the primer pockets do.

In a force fit, either one or both can "give".

These weren't high pressure rounds either as back then I used 800X for 1oz loads. around 7kpsi.

So really, multiple firing with any primer can eventually do it's toll.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:33 am 
Presentation Grade

It doesn't have to look like a problem to be a problem. Load up a bucket full like that and you'll likely find a loose primer or two in the bottom at some point.

...happened to me last week. Went through 250 shells to find the one that got away. Stuffed a Rio up it's backside. Now I'm wondering how many in that batch may have been with Fiocchi in it's past.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shoot them in an over under or a side by side and you likely won't have an issue.
Pump or auto, you may discover you are not a myth buster after all.
Don't ask me how I know.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:10 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I am with Jim on this. I know they fall out and jamb my 1100 28 ga. I suspect the change in direction as the hull hits the ejector is when the primer comes out.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Must have been at least 15 years ago, my son and I shot ~20K rounds a year back then. To save money one summer went to F616 primers and Promo powder. Worked fine in the summer, winter not so much.

Went through a lot of them that year, many multiple reloads of hulls. Went back to W209 primers and Clays powder (1 oz.) loads. Never had a problem with loose primer pockets when I went back to W209's. Hulls were STS\Nitro27\AA. Mec 9000 with one of Ben's first automates. Guns were Over Unders primarily B. Rizzini and Beretta Gold E.

Now I am down to 6K Cheddite for primers which I only used to use in 16 ga. Cheddite hulls. Have 8K W209 on back order from BPI but strongly suspect I will be using Cheddite primers in STS and Nitro hulls long before they show up. If they ever do show up. Time will tell how the Cheddite primers make out as far as primer pocket expansion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:14 am 
Limited Edition

Cold Iron wrote:
one summer went to F616 primers

Went through a lot of them that year, many multiple reloads of hulls. Went back to W209 primers and Clays powder (1 oz.) loads. Never had a problem with loose primer pockets when I went back to W209's.

{hs#