ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What MEC model do I have
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A friend brought over what I thought was a Supersizer but this is different. When pulled down the lever drops a tube over the hull deprimes it and resizes the hull (I think). It is out of adjustment and the hulls ends up stuck in the tube and it takes great force to remove it pretty much destroying the hull. The adjustment is a couple of threaded rings.
Any ideas on what its called and how adjustments are made ?

Post subject: Re: What MEC model do I have
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:56 pm 
Limited Edition

From your description, it sounds like you have a Mec 600 jr. The resizing ring is adjustable. Try loosening the bottom ring slightly and then tighten the lock ring above to bottom ring. I think this will help.
The sizer is called the(Reconditioning ring). You can download the manual from Mec's web-site. Its a discontinued loader.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:36 pm 
Crown Grade

It sounds like MEC's Case Conditioner. Came out way before the Supersizer, back in the days of paper.
Does it look like this?
https://www.ebay.com/c/24012453040
If so the ejection adjustments are just like a 600jr.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

YevetS wrote:
It sounds like MEC's Case Conditioner. Came out way before the Supersizer, back in the days of paper.
Does it look like this?
https://www.ebay.com/c/24012453040
If so the ejection adjustments are just like a 600jr.

Steve

Yup, that is what it is. Its going to be of little use.How old is this thing? It was given to my friend you does know anything about it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:08 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a case conditioner and use it from time to time. I would not term it useless, maybe needs adjustment is all or clean up.
My Mec 9000 does not like Remington hulls that are once fired. Short version is due to OEM primer size/shape differences, for me to reload 1x fired Rem hulls, the first step I use is the case conditioner. Then a couple other steps to condition the primer pocket so the Cheddite or Win 209 primers will fully seat.
A bit of fussing, but worth it as I do like Remington hulls.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:08 am 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
How old is this thing? .

I have been reloading for over 20 years and have never seen a new one. MEC has had them in their "discontinued" list of machines for just as long.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:24 am 
Limited Edition

Steve has it right, I misread the thread. Before the supersizer came out, what you have, was used. You could also get the extra parts to size all gauges, by changing the center punch and the sizing ring. Mec also made this as a hydraulic unit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:03 am 

Unscrew the tube from the top thread of the press. There will be a threaded rod extending down with a deprime punch locked to it with a jam nut. Loosen the jam nut and lower the deprime punch until if comes off the threaded rod. If you are doing a lot of remington hulls, reduce the deprime punch small diameter by about 1/16". Then screw it back on about 1/4 " and lock it in place with the jam nut. the tube back into the top plate of the press fully. Be sure that the shorter threaded section of the tube is threaded into the frame.
Loosen the locking nut on the lower end of the tube (The locking nut is often hard to discern from the sizing ring) and raise the lock ring and the sizer ring until a nickel coin will be barely touched with the press handle fully down. Lock it there with the lock ring.
This should solve your problem.
The reduction in size of the primer punch pin is due to many Remington hulls having too much plastic above the primer.
See example below.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Curly, thanks, I will play around with it and see what happens. I borrowed it to see if resize some high brass Winchester hulls, the black AA Diamond. My Mec 9000 will not get them small enough. When the hull comes out of the primer station they catch on the lip and a small tear occurs enough where it won't fit a 12ga chamber. They may not be worth the trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:19 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I keep a MEC case conditioner around without the sizing ring and support tube. I have it set up with the .410 decapper, and use it to recover live primers from reloads so ugly they just have to be salvaged for components.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

wrfish wrote:
Curly, thanks, I will play around with it and see what happens. I borrowed it to see if resize some high brass Winchester hulls, the black AA Diamond. My Mec 9000 will not get them small enough. When the hull comes out of the primer station they catch on the lip and a small tear occurs enough where it won't fit a 12ga chamber. They may not be worth the trouble.

As it turns out resizing was not the problem at all. The problem was the primer tube was a midge too close to the primer station. When I lowered the handle the primer tube would catch the high brass of the hull and put a small nick in it. It took a flash light and close observation to see the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:49 pm 
Field Grade

D McMillen wrote:
From your description, it sounds like you have a Mec 600 jr. The resizing ring is adjustable. Try loosening the bottom ring slightly and then tighten the lock ring above to bottom ring. I think this will help.
The sizer is called the(Reconditioning ring). You can download the manual from Mec's web-site. Its a discontinued loader.

The 600 jr. Marks 5 is not a discontinued loader, it is in current production.

Working with these presses can be a bit tricky but there are excellent resources to help you out. First is a phone call to MEC, they have technicians who can help you with about any potential problem. Second is Youtube, there are a bunch of videos showing how to adjust each station and all the little tweaks that can help getting one running perfectly. BTW, I picked up some used presses that a previous owner had Kludged up and between MEC's help and watching youtube videos they run smooth as the dickens and make very pretty crimps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:21 pm 
Limited Edition

scooter123 wrote:
D McMillen wrote:

The 600 jr. Marks 5 is not a discontinued loader, it is in current production.

Working with these presses can be a bit tricky but there are excellent resources to help you out. First is a phone call to MEC, they have technicians who can help you with about any potential problem. Second is Youtube, there are a bunch of videos showing how to adjust each station and all the little tweaks that can help getting one running perfectly. BTW, I picked up some used presses that a previous owner had Kludged up and between MEC's help and watching youtube videos they run smooth as the dickens and make very pretty crimps.

My post didn't say anything about a Mark 5. The 600 Jr. pre 1985 is discontinued. Go to Mec's website to get the facts.