ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to me 761R Grabber
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:04 am 
Field Grade

Hello guys,
Like the heading says, I just picked up a Grabber, No. 761R, in 12g. I got it for 240.00 delivered to my door. The only reason I bought it was because a few friends of mine said it was a really good buy for that machine, and that if I didn't like it, I would have no problem getting my money back. In any event, I was wondering if there are any upgrades that could be done to this machine? I know one is the bearing to slide the bar over, and I have seen one where you cut the base plate, and add a small arm to automatically kick out the finished shell on the last turn. I do like that one. Understand that I am not trying to make it something it's not, not by a long shot, however, what I would like to do is make it operate as efficiently as it could. That is all. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks......

Post subject: Re: New to me 761R Grabber
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Add the 200 capacity primer feed. By the way, forget that piece to eject the finished shell. You have to turn the shell plate anyway. So, learn to do it by by using the shell in the last position. You'll then have it your hand to put it in the Easy Pack.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You do not really need to update a Grabber. You do need to adjust it and to understand how to run it. MEC has good instructions online. Yeah, the new primer feed is a good addition, So is the big wooden handle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:17 am 
Field Grade

Thank you very much. Now I really can't wait to get it.......

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:20 am 
Crown Grade

I think the wooden handle is a great idea for the added leverage. I would seriously consider updating the collet, as MEC no longer makes the one for the early Grabbers. You have to replace all the collet parts with the ones from the current version.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:26 am 
Crown Grade

Set it up and use it.

There is no benefit to the bearing being sold on eBay for the arm that pushes the bar. It's a solution to a non-existent problem.

There is also no benefit to having the finished shell automatically eject and it may be a detriment to reloading. Since you are manually rotating the shell plate your hand would likely be in the way of the auto ejecting shell.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The only limitation with 761 is that it will not resize high brass shells (collet is shorter than the brass, you will see brass above the collet when you operate the machine). If you try you will end up moving material forward that will result in hulls sticking in the chamber. I assume if you replace the collet as previously suggested you will not have this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:13 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you so much...I have intent on loading high brass, as it will only be for trap and skeet shooting. Hopefully SC one day if I can find a place to shoot. I did order the new primer feed. When I do get it, I will set it up and use it like suggested. IF there is a problem, I will call MEC, again, as suggested. The person selling the machine says overall good condition, it even comes with the owners manual. From the pics, and there are many, I can see it has the plastic fingers already, a charge bar, and the machine really does look to be in overall good condition. I'll see for sure when it gets here. I will assume that the "collet" is the re-sizing collet. If it works as it should, I'll use it till it doesn't. I will order a new one so there is no down time just as a precaution. I can see it needs some cleaning up, lube, and a little TLC. Which I will enjoy doing when it gets here. I thank you guys very very much, and will update you all when I get it......hopefully I can upload some pics for you.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 1R machines came with metal dies. If they are rusted, you can upgrade to the newer plastic ones if needed. My 410 is a 1R machine. It is all original and still going.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am 
Crown Grade

Doesn't need any "upgrades".