ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boxing the Mec reloaders for moving/shipping?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:44 pm 
Field Grade

Getting ready for a move from Alaska to Idaho. I know that original box would be ideal, but I have bought all of the units used. What have any of you found and used that seems to work the best? Remove handles and primer feeders is the first step. What to cushion? I have lots of hulls. 3 grabbers and 4 600 jrs. ANY and ALL help is appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance. Kurt

Post subject: Re: Boxing the Mec reloaders for moving/shipping?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Wrap the machines in something protective - could be blankets or bubble wrap or anything in between.
Is this going overland or by sea? If by sea I would want to do something to protect from possible salt air

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The machine needs to be immobilized within the container such that it cannot move within the carton. I’ve seen the expanding foam used once within a heavy plastic bag that worked well, and I’ve also seen 1/8” plywood used as slip over stabilizers that also worked. If not secure, the machine will bounce around within the carton until it tears a hole in the box and shakes loose every nut and bolt on the machine.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just moved 4 machines from CT to ND, 1722 miles, fall of 2020. 2 9000's and 2 Sizemasters.

I went to Home Depot and bought an extra large moving box. Took off the bottles, the wooden handles, the bottle supports and the primer trays. Cut a piece of the cheapest, thinnest plywood to fit reasonably tight in the top and bottom of the box. Set the 4 machines as equally spaced as I could and filled the voids with a real heavy paper, the kind they cover floors with when doing renovation work. Home Depot has that paper. Plywood top and bottom and taped up the boxes.

I put the box on the bottom of similar packed boxes, stacked 5 high and 10 deep in a 26' foot box truck and moved.

Except for adjusting the primer trays. None of the machines needed any adjustment and none had even a scratch on them, when I arrived in ND.

I also moved a 600 Jr. separately. Packed it in a box with the heavy paper. Same result as the other 4 machines, no issues.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

I moved my own. Took off bottles and powder baffles. Duct tape over priming station, and sizer collet, on sizemaster. And removed crimp starter. And wrapped in padded moving blanket.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

A move in or out of Alaska using a commercial mover stands a good chance of encountering rain storms when sitting on docks, truck docks, or runways. I'd make sure part of your packing includes a heavy plastic bag that can be sealed shut, and will not get torn open by the machine being loose.

I'd also suggest each bigger machine go in it's own double-wall (heavy duty) box. A dish-pack box with any internals removed would work. Machine bolted to a 1/2" or 3/4" plywood or wafer board base plate that fits just inside the box walls. Vertical braces in each corner and another plywood top plate. I like block styrofoam rather than the kraft paper, crumpled newspaper, bubble wrap or (worst of all) foam peanuts for helping keep the unit upright and from bumping into the box walls. Tie wire X-crossed between the braces and around the vertical loader post would help, as well.

Might get pairs of 600 Jrs into a single box if you pad with non-movable foam blocks between them.

Now, if I had total control of the move, driving the truck and doing the loading, then I would cut back to something similar to dogchaser's boxing, except keep styrofoam blocking and cross ties if possible.

I'd rather spend $50 more on the box than have to put on $100 of parts.

good luck, GJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

depending on where your moving here, you might not need those presses.
I drive about 200 miles every Sunday to break most of the birds I shoot at.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:33 am 
Limited Edition

Darn, fiver, that would be torcher for me. I drive 3.5 miles. I can hear them shooting if the wind is right. I would not be able to do that. If it were me, I'd find like minded individuals and consider starting a club in your area if possible??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If a fella were handy, and had some scrap lumber, he could make a wooden box/crate for each loader (or maybe two at a time) and mount the loader to the floor of the crate. No way they're going to bump around inside the box if they're securely mounted.

Just thinking . . .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:56 am 
Crown Grade

DooFighter wrote:
Darn, fiver, that would be torcher for me. I drive 3.5 miles. I can hear them shooting if the wind is right. I would not be able to do that. If it were me, I'd find like minded individuals and consider starting a club in your area if possible??

And when the snow all melts and it warms up you can drive there. {hs#

I agree with you though, I have at least 10 clubs within 45-60 minutes of my house. Three within 15 minutes.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

fortunately the rifle/pistol club is only 1 mile away, and the thousand yard range is only about 4.
when we have a steel shoot or the like they get to drive here, and I can roll up on one of the 4 wheelers and park wherever I want.

the good thing about it is it doesn't really take all that long to get there.
the slowest I go is 65 on the highway and then 80 on the interstate with almost no traffic to contend with.
maybe an hour and a half if I dawdle along, or a little more if there's snow going over the summit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I live 2 miles from our club and get irritated when I have to drive an extra mile when a train is blocking my shortest route. I was in Tucson camping 10 yards from the skeet and trap fields.That was nice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:57 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the advice,everyone. Wrap in plastic, secure to bottom of box on plywood and put plywood on sides and top for protection. Should be good to go.