ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheddite Primers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:52 pm 
Utility Grade

New to reloading and going through the struggles of zero stock items. I have plenty of federal gold and AA hulls. Trying to find a little bit at a time when it becomes available and found some Cheddite 209 primers. Lymans says these can only be used in Cheddite hulls. I know they are slightly bigger but I’ve read that’s really just means once you use cheddite primers you need to keep using them. It supposedly doesn’t affect the function. I’ve also read that these can be swapped for Winchester primers but it makes me a little nervous since lymans only shows then for cheddite hulls. What’s been everyone’s experience? Has anyone used Cheddite primers in AA’s or Federal golds?

Post subject: Re: Cheddite Primers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Bump for the knowledge base.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:24 pm 
Field Grade

I would call the manufacturer of the powder you intend to use and ask their tech support people. I called Alliant and the guy told me I could substitute Cheddite cx2000 primers with WW 209 with the load I was referring to. I won't state the load as their are some contingencies with swapping the primers. Mine fell within the boundries suggested by the technician. I'm pretty sure Hodgdon would be helpful if you are using their powders.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:37 pm 
Limited Edition

I have been swapping Cheddites and Winchester 209s for years in 12 ga & 20 ga.. Nary a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:45 pm 
Field Grade

I've used 4 or 5 thousand Cheddite primers since August 2020 and they work just fine. The velocity of my loads doesn't seem to have changed by any measurable amount based on leads and the hulls don't show any indication of excess pressure. As for the primers being large, they press in with the same level of pressure as Winchester primers.

BTW, I am a Skeet and Trap shooter and shoot 12, 20, 28, & 410 and still find it amazing at how quickly a box of primers run out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:30 pm 
Limited Edition

I have loaded more than 25,000 Cheddite primers in both Winchester and Remington hulls in 12, 20, 28 and 410. Never a problem of any kind.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Cheddites can chew tips off the bottom firing pins of some Over/Under shotguns very quickly, as this thread from a month ago will illustrate.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=530134
Not always, but often enough that you should be aware of the potential problems.

If you are loading for a pump or a semi-auto shotgun, you may not have problems with pierced Cheddite primers. Several fellow shooters use Cheddites exclusively in their semi-autos, and even in side-by-sides.

Have not seen detectable differences in performance when substituting Cheddites for Winchester 209s in target-level loads.

good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:19 am 
Limited Edition

I suspect, but do not know for sure, that most Euro shells are loaded with Cheddite, Nobel Sport or Maxam (Rio) primers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Balistic Products has some Cheddite primer in stock and for sale.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:55 am 
Field Grade

hmmm...BP still showing out of stock for me! I guess you got them all :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:20 am 
Utility Grade

Major146 wrote:

They are not in stock, but you can purchase for back order. I've been waiting over a month for my order to get processed. Hopefully they will honor the price I ordered them at as it has gone up $8 since I placed my order.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:11 am 
Presentation Grade

I got a email yesterday from them saying they were in stock, order two sleeves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I also got an email about them being in stock at Ballistic Products and ordered some as soon as I read the email. I thought it was strange that they allowed you to purchase up to 20K. I ordered 5K because I'm down to 3K of W209 and getting nervous. I guess I'll find out how well they work. I've become more efficient in changing out firing pins on my Citoris so we'll see if the Cheddites cause premature wear on those pins.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:54 am 
Utility Grade

Major146 wrote:

I was alerted of them being IN STOCK mid afternoon, and they were sold out by late afternoon. With a 20K limit per customer, it wouldn't take long to sell quite a few.

Shyda's in Lebanon, Pa has W209s in stock, but a 1K limit per customer per day. Their shotshell powders are mostly out of stock, and the only shotshell target ammo is 28ga.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

scooter123 wrote:
I've used 4 or 5 thousand Cheddite primers since August 2020 and they work just fine. The velocity of my loads doesn't seem to have changed by any measurable amount based on leads and the hulls don't show any indication of excess pressure. As for the primers being large, they press in with the same level of pressure as Winchester primers.

BTW, I am a Skeet and Trap shooter and shoot 12, 20, 28, & 410 and still find it amazing at how quickly a box of primers run out.

Same here. They load fine in Remingtons, Winchester, and Federals. I don't use them on Fiocchis, but I have Fiocchi primers for those hulls,which by the way load great.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've loaded several thousand cheddites into Remington 12 and 20g hulls with no issues. I have a few w209 and Fed209a primers left for loads closer to max pressure, but I sub cheddites pretty freely for winchester and remington primers loads down in the 7K PSI range.

Thus far have not had any problems loading w209s after cheddites into steel head hulls. Have not tried it with brass heads.