ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lyman #6??
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do you think that we will ever see #6? With print media slowly dying, I am beginning to doubt it. #6 would be welcome since #5 is hopelessly outdated. Printed guides from the powder companies are also becoming something from the past. Personally I like something that I can thumb through

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Re: Lyman #6??
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:13 am 
Crown Grade

Id buy it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^^^^ I would buy it also^^^^^

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Me to, I like to have the data at my finger tip, or able to look it up. Old fashion I guess. :oops: :oops:

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:40 am 
Crown Grade

To reprint the whole book as we know it is IMHO a waste, as 3/4 of the information has not changed.
I would like to see the load data up dated. I would buy that because I too like to have it all in one place at my finger tips.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:59 am 
Presentation Grade

As the instructional information is the GEM of the 5th edition, it would be mainly the cost of paper to reproduce that in a 6th edition, and perhaps even update anything needed, like more extensive troubleshooting of loader die adjustments. As Lyman has less and less business interest in the shotgun side of shooting, it would have to be a "good will" effort more than a money maker for Lyman to refresh the ballistics testing to pick up the new hulls, wads and powders that are missing. But consider what could be done with collaborative effort using the newest ballistics testing of, say, Hodgdon's labs, combined with Lyman updating the loading instructions. THAT would make a great 6th edition!

The demand for a new manual is higher now than it has been in the previous 15 years, due to the rabid interest in shotshell loading over the last year. Just because all us loader veterans have the 5th, few of the upcoming shotgun shooters and prospective loaders know about the book.

wishing for the stars, garrisonjoe

Last edited by garrisonjoe on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't mind electronics a bit. I use them everyday and have for over 30 years. But there is just something about printed material that is easier on the eyes and much quicker to peruse than the electronic versions.

I hope that Lyman does continue with their printed manuals.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They could just reprint everything but the loading data which needs updating. That would put a smile on my face. I’m not holding my breath

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:23 pm 
Field Grade

I find the Lyman 5th a waste of money and wish I hadn’t purchased it. There are so many great sources of information on reloading and recipes that actually feature wads and powder that can still be bought today. In my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

The pages of my manual are full of highlights and notes. I can't do that on my lap top. I actually use the manual as a mouse pad. I can look up about anything in the manual in less time then it takes to boot up the lap top.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When I was a novice reloader I found the Lyman manuals extremely informative and useful. To the experienced reloader, perhaps not so much. In my opinion, the manual does have its place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:14 pm 
Limited Edition

I don't reload now, but when I was thinking about getting back into it I bought the 5th, enjoyed reading it, and still refer to it for stats and information.
I also enjoy a printed manual over electronic, and would buy a 6th edition.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just hope that they have more recipes for non-tox as the 5th was pretty skinny.

..pete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

I’d like to see #6 come together with Gualandi wad data, high-speed steel game loads, steel target, and lots of other nontox data as well.

Instead it seems George R.R. Martin is writing the next installment, and we’ll be waiting until the stars burn out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:22 am 
Diamond Grade

if they do a next one I sincerely hope it isn't done like their last cast bullet book.

I'm an in hand load data junkie as evidenced by most of my books right here being duplicates of the ones in the other room.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:10 am 
Crown Grade

The current edition is good for understanding the fundamentals of reloading. The recipes are outdated. They don't have listings for many current components. I use the powder web sites for my recipes. If need be I print out what I need. Rather than searching in a book.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have lots of older components that I pick up at estate sales for nearly nothing. For me the book (and earlier editions) are a gold mine. My shooting costs are also reflective of my bargains

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:42 am 
Crown Grade

The problem with the Lyman manuals is this: they're instantly obsolete the minute they hit the shelves. It takes so long to do all the testing and put everything together by the time we see it there are new products around.

For me, I don't think anything could have the same impact as #4. I read the tutorial chapters and my first shell was perfect! I did buy #5, but needless to say it was a letdown with its stale data.

I'd buy a #6, but I won't be one of these people scrambling for it at $39.99 on day one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You could make the case that any reference print media is obsolete the moment of publication including a dictionary, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t contain useful and timeless information.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Any load that appears on-line may also be obsolete, by your definition. That does not make on-line data less useful, either. And on-line, there is no "publication date" or "tested on" date provided, while at least there is a publication date on printed manuals.

Neither source is obsolete. It's just that printed data is not updated or added to later on. But if it worked in 2007, say, when it was tested, the same load almost always still works today. VERY few powders or wads are changed enough to make their old charge weights in published loads unsafe today.

"A man's got to know his loading data's limitations," some big guy once said.

good luck, garrisonjoe