ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon May 17, 2021 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull ID Chart
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Is there a more current way to ID hulls than my Lyman #5 manual? I had no idea there were so many different kinds of hulls. :shock: A little confusing to me :)

Post subject: Re: Hull ID Chart
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Irish Lad,

Check out these two vendors as there is load data for free:

Alliant: https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders ... ndex.aspx&

Hodgdon: https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reload ... ue&type=55

I would suggest that you eyeball some of the loads above that match up with the hulls, primers, powder that you have or can get locally.

Take care.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Irish Lad,

The best way to know which hulls you have is to cut a hull down in 4 sections, so you can peel back the hull walls and see what you really have. I have a section cut out of pretty much every hull I have ever reloaded.

Hull I.D. is the very first thing you need to know, when you start looking for loading data.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Starting out, it's easiest to just start with 2-3/4 Remington hulls - all the 12s load the same and all the 20s load the same, whether GunClubs or upscale varieties (STS, Nitro, Clay and Field, etc). To my knowledge, there aren't any other manufacturers that make hulls that all load the same, and have for a long time.

A couple years ago GunClubs were probably 20 or 30% of the hulls in the barrel at my club. Now they're less common, but they're still out there. And they load well a lot of times - 8 or 10 reloads is pretty much the norm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:06 pm 
Utility Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
Irish Lad,

The best way to know which hulls you have is to cut a hull down in 4 sections, so you can peel back the hull walls and see what you really have. I have a section cut out of pretty much every hull I have ever reloaded.

Hull I.D. is the very first thing you need to know, when you start looking for loading data.

Yes it is, I want to make sure I get it right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Win50 wrote:
Starting out, it's easiest to just start with 2-3/4 Remington hulls - all the 12s load the same and all the 20s load the same, whether GunClubs or upscale varieties (STS, Nitro, Clay and Field, etc). To my knowledge, there aren't any other manufacturers that make hulls that all load the same, and have for a long time

Good idea. Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Federal has so many variations that I just gave up on them

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:14 pm 
Utility Grade

casonet wrote:
Federal has so many variations that I just gave up on them

I'd have no chance then. :) I'm gonna follow Win50's advice and start out with Remington hulls.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good advise

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Irish Lad,

You certainly can use any hull that you want and win50's advice is solid. However, even if you use Remington hulls, you should know what the inside of those hulls look like. There is power in knowledge, as in less confusion down the road.

Just so you know, and I doubt you will see these hulls lying around at your local gun club, but Remington does have another hull that is 12 ga. 2 3/4" with a separate plastic basewad.

As far as Federal hulls go......they are simple, no big deal, easy to get and because they are so plentiful, the 2 styles of Top Gun hulls are great for one and done. They also use the same exact loading data and components.

NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:40 pm 
Utility Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
Irish Lad,

You certainly can use any hull that you want and win50's advice is solid. However, even if you use Remington hulls, you should know what the inside of those hulls look like. There is power in knowledge, as in less confusion down the road.

Just so you know, and I doubt you will see these hulls lying around at your local gun club, but Remington does have another hull that is 12 ga. 2 3/4" with a separate plastic basewad.

As far as Federal hulls go......they are simple, no big deal, easy to get and because they are so plentiful, the 2 styles of Top Gun hulls are great for one and done. They also use the same exact loading data and components.

I'm gonna follow your advice also and I'm going to cut hulls 4 ways to see what is there. I want to be able to load what shells are available. I appreciate your help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:13 am 
Diamond Grade

cut them, measure them, and measure some wads.
you'll learn a lot.

federal [chuckle] yeah.
I just tried a load in the old top gun's with the paper base, and tried it again in the newer plastic base wad version.
they ain't the same hull for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:26 am 
Presentation Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
Irish Lad,

I don't think I've ever seen one, or noticed it. Were they older hulls or hunting loads? Or a particular branding? I am actually curious on this one.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:06 pm 
Limited Edition

The “all Remington hulls load the same” covers hulls from way back. The old original Blue Magic hulls from the 1970’s probably started it. I have some of the old original RXP hulls that preceded them. These are semi transparent, ribbed, green hulls and have a smaller capacity than the follow on hulls. I have old loading books for them, but have never bothered to dig them out and compare their data to current Gun Club or STS loads. They might load the same, but I’d have to do some researching.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

sneem2 wrote:
The “all Remington hulls load the same” covers hulls from way back. The old original Blue Magic hulls from the 1970’s probably started it. I have some of the old original RXP hulls that preceded them. These are semi transparent, ribbed, green hulls and have a smaller capacity than the follow on hulls. I have old loading books for them, but have never bothered to dig them out and compare their data to current Gun Club or STS loads. They might load the same, but I’d have to do some researching.

If they're 50 yr old hulls, the odds I'm going to find any in the skeet or sporting clays barrel are slim.

The trap barrel... maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:41 pm 
Limited Edition

No. You won’t find any. Just a historical comment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Win50 wrote:
dogchaser37 wrote:
Irish Lad,
I don't think I've ever seen one, or noticed it. Were they older hulls or hunting loads? Or a particular branding? I am actually curious on this one.

Thanks

Considering only 12-gaiuge 2-¾" shells, Remington in fact produces two hullls besides the "unibody" type. Here's a photo.
Two of those shown have separate basewads, one yellow and one black. Remington uses these for loads that require more internal volume than the unibody type. The hulls on the right in the photo are of unibody construction and will load with the usual data for Gun Clubs, STS, Nitro Golds, etc.

The hull with the yellow basewad is pictured on page 33 of Lyman #5. Data for reloading the hull can be found on pages 152-154, 306, 341, 356, and 384.

I have found no data for reloading the hulls with black basewads, but because the difference in basewad height is trivial, the loads for the yellow basewad hulls should be acceptable.

As far as I know, the hulls with separate basewads are all made with taller metal heads ("high brass").

These high brass hulls are not commonly found on ranges that emphasize clay target shooting. My local club is pretty rural, and a lot of users try out buckshot, slug, turkey, and other types of loads, so they are found here frequently.

--Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks pitted bore, you beat me to it!

NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

airc those were called a type-5 and type-6 hull.
used to find a bunch of them out in the duck marsh back in the late 90's.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:54 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks. Learn something every day, which I suppose means I can go back to bed.

I only harvest or load the target hulls, but it's good to know the high brass hulls might be different.