ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dillon SL 900 issues (crushed hulls)
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:46 am 
Field Grade

Hey guys, I was hoping someone here might be able to lend a little help since the gentleman at Dillon wasn't the most helpful (he said most are working from home and he wasn't the SL 900 guru).

I bought a used SL 900 that I got mostly dialed in. I'm loading Remington gun club hulls with Clays powder, Winchester 209 primer, Clay Busters CB-1100 wad and 7/8 oz of #7.5 shot. At this point, I've probably shot close to 200 rounds of my reloads and they cycle my gun and break clays just like they should.

However, in some instances, the hulls appear to be getting "crushed" in the last station on my press as shown in the picture.

I'm 99% sure it is the last station as the shells appear to be fine in every other one. I'm a little lost as to what to do in order to address this. It is intermittent, so I can't even trace it to just a failure to properly adjust the last station and the hulls were my range pickups that I shot as factory ammo. They do chamber in my gun.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? Is this an issue or if they chamber should I just shoot them?

Post subject: Re: Dillon SL 900 issues (crushed hulls)
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:24 am 
Crown Grade

I am not a Dillon guy, so can't help you there. But, since you said this problem is intermittent and you posted your load specs (except for how much powder) you are using a 1 oz. wad for 7/8 oz. of shot its most likely not too much stuff in the hull. I would take one of those hulls apart and check for a cocked wad. Next I would cut the hull side wall open and check the thickness of the wall and compare it to a good hull. MAYBE there was a small issue with the plastic distribution during manufacturing.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:00 am 
Field Grade

YevetS wrote:
I am not a Dillon guy, so can't help you there. But, since you said this problem is intermittent and you posted your load specs (except for how much powder) you are using a 1 oz. wad for 7/8 oz. of shot its most likely not too much stuff in the hull. I would take one of those hulls apart and check for a cocked wad. Next I would cut the hull side wall open and check the thickness of the wall and compare it to a good hull. MAYBE there was a small issue with the plastic distribution during manufacturing.

Steve

17.1 gr of Clays is the powder charge. Interesting idea on the cocked wad. I'll try to give that a look.

ETA: Clay Busters' website says the wad can be used for 7/8 oz loads, which is why I used them (since the wad specific for the 7/8 oz load wasn't available at my local shop).

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:08 am 
Presentation Grade

From your picture, it's easy to see you are trying to put WAY TOO MUCH final crimp (rounding at the crimp "rollover", at edge of mouth of round). Compare what you have on those shells with a factory load. That's all you need - just break the square edge left by main crimp station so that you get a rounded edge that feeds well in semi auto and pump guns.

You can safely shoot a few of those, but I'd fix the problem with die adjustment. Back the finish crimp die off so you put way less pressure on the shells in the last station.

good luck, garrisonjoe

All you ever need for "finish" crimp is about like this picture, and you could certainly get by with less.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:28 am 
Field Grade

garrisonjoe wrote:
From your picture, it's easy to see you are trying to put WAY TOO MUCH final crimp (rounding at the crimp "rollover", at edge of mouth of round). Compare what you have on those shells with a factory load. That's all you need - just break the square edge left by main crimp station so that you get a rounded edge that feeds well in semi auto and pump guns.

You can safely shoot a few of those, but I'd fix the problem with die adjustment. Back the finish crimp die off so you put way less pressure on the shells in the last station.

good luck, garrisonjoe

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try playing with the final crimp station.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I've had the same issue in the past. Try adjusting the wad seating depth just a little bit deeper. Just go a very little at a time, Not even an 1/8 turn.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Try setting the wad seating depth just a "LITTLE" bit deeper. A little at a time, not even 1/8 turn at a time to see if that takes care of it.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:15 pm 
Field Grade

Here's where I've ended up so far... Not sure where to go from here. If I adjust the center punch further down I start to crush hulls.

Compared to the factory shell, I'm lacking the nice round shoulder and uniformity as to the depth of the center section.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

The one on the right is pretty good!

The amount of rounded edge on the crimp end is fine. You don't need more.

Uniformity of finished rounds is tough with the current lack of hull length uniformity on much of the Remington shell line. Even STS and Nitro (the "premier" hulls) suffer from varying hull length, which impacts trying to make a perfect crimp on every load. But Winchester suffers some of the same malady now, too. You're getting good petal closure, which is most important. Depth of petals below the rim would be next - just about a dime's thickness gives good resistance to crimp opening. Of course, avoid buckling any hulls.

Go shoot and see what you conclude before you over-think the "shell beauty contest."

Running your loader consistently will probably be the biggest way to achieve more uniformity. Watch that you are pulling the handle the same speed, making continuous strokes, and avoid any interruptions by filling shot, powder and primer tray/tube at same time (round count). Beauty will come with that practice.

Take a look at a few of your loads after shot drop and before crimp starting. The shot level should be at or just below the "roll" at the bottom of the petal folds. If the shot is higher, put a slight bit more wad seating rod depth on your loader to get the shot level down and eliminate trying to force shot down into the hull while crimping.

good luck, garrisonjoe

Last edited by garrisonjoe on Wed May 26, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If the machine has a swing out wad arm, make sure that when the wad seating ram goes down that it is not catching a wad petal and folding it into the wad

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

garrisonjoe wrote:
The one on the right is pretty good!

The one on the right is a factory load I'm pretty sure.

On a Dillon, there is no multiple crimp finish stations. Only a pre-crimp, then a final crimp, where the crimp depth and the bevel is performed all in one die. The crimp depth is adjusted with an allen wrench, and the bevel adjusted by raising or lowering the entire die. I load Federal Top Guns on mine just fine and have no issues, and the plastic is far thinner than those gun clubs. I think ya got too much stuff in your hull. We need pics to know for sure. I use BPI PT wads, that are far less forgiving in compressing while crimping than any of the CB or DR wads, and I crush very few hulls, and TG hulls are just as variable as GC hulls. My suggestion is to gather a bit more plastic in your crimp and crimp it deeper, using more plastic, raise your bevel die, play with it until it works. No fun on a progressive like that, but once ya get it dialed in, it's worth it.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 pm 
Utility Grade

look on page 31

https://dilloncdn.com/manuals/dillon-sl900-manual-english.pdf

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
If the machine has a swing out wad arm, make sure that when the wad seating ram goes down that it is not catching a wad petal and folding it into the wad

Swing out, kinda

https://youtu.be/gLfeduj8gMc?t=1398

If it doesn't come up at the time of the wad guide, go to 23:23

It's really pretty hard to get a cocked wad in a hull on a Dillon, unless your guide is just really shot.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:16 am 
Limited Edition

I’ve never had much luck with the gun clubs…granted I was loading AA’s and gun clubs at the same time and like you crushing a shell every now and then on the last station. I played with it a little, only thing I accomplished was not crushing as many, but still crushing some…gave up and only load AA’s now, the problem has not shown up again. Running Clay Dot with CB 3/4oz wad and Win primer.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:54 am 
Field Grade

I'll try to post some more pictures later when I go back to the machine to play with it.

The picture on the right was definitely a factory shell.

I measured the wad depth and it was right around 1.18 which is within the spec in the manual. Shot comes right to the top of the petals on the wad itself. I've never noticed one that was bent or otherwise messed up. Shot wad guide was replaced with a spare that came with the machine.

This is a little frustrating but I'll figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you have a spring loaded crimp die, you might back off the spring tension a turn

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

put less stuff in there.
less wad or less shot, then go back to your original settings, lightening up a touch on the roll crimp.
the pink SL wad is at it's best with only an ounce of shot in the tapered hulls.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I mostly encounter this in two scenarios. Either the final crimp die is screwed down too far (most common reason), or the ejector wire has popped off.

I suggest slowly raising the final crimp die until the buckling stops. Adjust the precrimp so that the opening is about the size of a pencil eraser head. You can then lower the seat plug (bolt in the top of the final crimp die) to achieve your desired crimp depth.

Sometimes there are components that don't play well together. Years ago I loaded the CB4100B in AAHS hulls and had a lot of trouble with buckled hulls. The wad, however, worked fine in GC.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:54 pm 
Limited Edition

I had this same problem with my SL900. Turned out that the final crimp die had worked loose and was over crimping the hulls. I adjusted it back up, and tightened it back down, and good to go. Now I check it every so often to ensure it's still tight. If it backs off again, I'll put a bit of blue Loc-tite on it.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:54 am 
Field Grade

So I think I've gotten it much closer...

First picture is all of the rounds I loaded. I played with the seat plug a bit towards the end (backing it off). Last picture was the last or second to last shell I loaded.

Factory on the left, mine on the right.

Now I do have one question...why do they all fold somewhat differently and inconsistently? Just the nature of the beast? I presume that would be true on all shotshell loaders?