ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 gauge Top Gun hulls
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:29 am 
Field Grade

Well I saw a review on these cheap Federal Gun Club Hulls. Well I loaded up a few cases. These cheap hulls crimp very nice. I loaded them with some 700X powder which I had. I used a CB 1078-20 wad 7/8 oz. with 14 grains of powder. This would not be my preferred powder, but because it is hard to find powder now but it will do for now. I was amazed at the pattern I got out of these top gun hulls. They seem to shoot very well out of my gun. I know the hulls are not tapered but the CB wads seem to work just fine. So at least I am able to bust some clays. It is always a good feeling seeing a good pattern on a shogun. Who knows I might just stick to these hulls. So many of them out at the club but seem like no one reloads them.

Post subject: Re: 20 gauge Top Gun hulls
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:16 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a bunch of them and am glad of it. With the powder shortage I'm flush with Red Dot and Promo and a tad light with Intl Clays. The Lyman 4th has loads for RD in the Federal hull for 7/8oz. and I've been using the Promo in the Rem hulls for 3/4oz. skeet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:10 pm 
Field Grade

They load amazing and I think are very overlooked when it comes to people’s favorite hulls to reload for 20 gauge. I would much rather reload these federal’s than a Remington gun club. Plus they are easily found in the bins at ranges typically. I use them with green dot typically using the same wad your referenced.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Good info. I just started reloading 20 gauge. I’ll be keeping any eye out for these hulls.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:36 pm 
Field Grade

What is interesting about the Federal Top Gun Hull it is a straight wall hull. It is so hard to find the correct wad for this hull. I have read where many reloaders have used the tapered wads inside a straight wall hull. And most reloaders says it works just fine. So what I did I loaded up a few and decided to cut a loaded hull into. The one thing that impress me was the claybuster wad had a good seal at the base of the hull. So I was perfectly fine with that. I can say one thing for sure is that they hit the metal target hard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What’s wrong with the Federal wad? I use “Pushin Cushion” wads all the time. They work great

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:28 am 
Utility Grade

casonet wrote:
What’s wrong with the Federal wad? I use “Pushin Cushion” wads all the time. They work great

So were does one get Federal wads?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:29 am 
Crown Grade

The federal top gun 20ga hulls are my favorite for 1oz hunting loads. Longshot powder, and the federal 20s1 wad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Federal wads should be available wherever wads are sold. They were the last time that I bought them. CB also makes clones

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:49 am 
Field Grade

Wads are hard to find just like powder. I would like to try the federal wads but just can't seem to find them anywhere. For now I am just happy that I can reload during times like this. I really wished I bought more powder and more primers. I think I got enough to get me by for sometime. I have noticed powder is coming more available. Brownell has some about 2 weeks ago and you are paying a premium price. Mid South Reloader has powder and a few 12 gauge wads. What's great about them is they don't price gouge. Hopefully more powder and reloading components will come available. I just order 5 lbs of 700x from mid south, hopefully this will get me by for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:04 am 
Utility Grade

Federal wads have not been available for several years. Clay buster does not have or make a 20 gauge
Federal wad. They do have a 7/8 oz Winchester/ Remington wad. And a 3/4 oz that fits most hulls. I have used
Both in Federal hulls with no issues.

Last edited by AHI on Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:13 am 
Limited Edition

Turkinator wrote:
The federal top gun 20ga hulls are my favorite for 1oz hunting loads. Longshot powder, and the federal 20s1 wad.

Are you using data from Hodgdon? Is this Top Gun hull what Hodgdon refers to as the "2 3/4” Federal Plastic Target Shells"?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:16 am 
Field Grade

Yes that is how they refer to them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Top guns are my favorite hull for 20 gauge. Prefer the SG20(S,M,L) series wad or Trap Commanders for standard loads. I bought a case of the SG20L. The import wads have a gas seal that fit the Federal hull.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/SG20L ... /072SG20L/
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Comma ... /020TC20C/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A shortage of wads makes no sense to me unless people are just buying more than they need. I would not have thought that production had been interrupted.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:14 am 
Field Grade

The wad shortage is probably due to the fact that some of the resin’s needed to make the wads are in short supply. There was a major fire a large resin facility as well as some ice storm implications from a plant in Texas as well that has put a major dent in resin supply. At least this is what I was told by a buddy who makes fiberglass products and buys resin by the truckload.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OK,I’ll buy that

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:40 am 
Crown Grade

Pappy1 wrote:
What is interesting about the Federal Top Gun Hull it is a straight wall hull. It is so hard to find the correct wad for this hull.

No it is very simple to find the correct wad for this hull because published load data lists about a dozen commonly available wads appropriate for Federal 20 gauge hulls.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:17 pm 
Field Grade

Hal4son wrote:
Top guns are my favorite hull for 20 gauge. Prefer the SG20(S,M,L) series wad or Trap Commanders for standard loads. I bought a case of the SG20L. The import wads have a gas seal that fit the Federal hull.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/SG20L ... /072SG20L/
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Comma ... /020TC20C/

Ya, I saw those and called ballistic Company, they said they would work great, same old story nothing is in stock.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:44 pm 
Crown Grade

They do tend to stick in my barrels, but I have shot some great scores with the factory 20 ga Top Gun.