ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 700-X and 800-X have been discontinued?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:48 am 
Field Grade

I was at Hausmann's Hidden Hollow for the three day Northeast Side by Side Championship this past Thurs to yesterday. RST Shotshells was among the vendors there. Initially they were limiting shell sales to three boxes per shooter but by Saturday you could buy a flat.

They told me they use primed hulls and have not had a problem getting them, they use mostly Cheddite. The issue that is severely hindering production is the difficulty they are having getting powder and shot. They told me that both 700-X and 800-X are now discontinued powders which was a big problem for them. Has anyone else heard these two powders are out of production?

Last edited by nhcrowshooter on Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 700-X and 800-X have been discontinued?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:09 am 
Utility Grade

700x was for sale one the Hodgdon site less than a month ago. I’m not sure that is true.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:06 am 
Limited Edition

The Hodgdon site lists both but notes they are out of stock as it appears a lot of their powders are.

Post subject: 700-X and 800-X have been discontinued?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If both are discontinued, then it would be a tragedy. If so, it wouldn’t seem because they weren’t selling. Right now they could probably sell all that they could make.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Last edited by casonet on Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:37 am 
Diamond Grade

I was just at a gun shop on 06/03/21 and they had a limited "just arrived" supply of 700X powder...

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:41 am 
Field Grade

There were 8lb containers yesterday of 700-X going for $160, I forget which site. They quickly sold out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

800-X has been discontinued, according to both Precision Reloading's and Powder Valley's customer service.

700-X has not been discontinued........At least not yet.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Out of stock--yes/discontinued NO!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Hodgdon's newest load handout (2021) does not show anything in the powder listings for 800x or in the load data. The handout does show 700x in both locations. Local gun store has quite a lot of 800x in stock and just last week finally got in some 700x. I use both mostly in handgun reloading. 700x in 38sp and 800x in 10mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:57 am 
Crown Grade

It never ceases to amaze me that folks will come to this website and others to ask a question about a manufactured product rather that contact the manufacturer direct. Had the OP bothered to do that, he would have found out that 800X was discontinued 5 years ago because of lack of sales and 700X is STILL in production. Any 800X still available was made 5 or more years ago. If you use it in a favorite load for you, you better grab some now. This is information I just got by calling Hodgdon and talking with one of their tech agents. The RST agent lied to the OP. Precision Reloading and Powder Valley had it right.

When in doubt, call the friggin' manufacturer. {hs#

Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:19 pm 
Field Grade

dubob wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me that folks will come to this website and others to ask a question about a manufactured product rather that contact the manufacturer direct. Had the OP bothered to do that, he would have found out that 800X was discontinued 5 years ago because of lack of sales and 700X is STILL in production. Any 800X still available was made 5 or more years ago. If you use it in a favorite load for you, you better grab some now. This is information I just got by calling Hodgdon and talking with one of their tech agents. The RST agent lied to the OP. Precision Reloading and Powder Valley had it right.

When in doubt, call the friggin' manufacturer. {hs#

Sorry I inadvertently upset you. I don't generally call company's where all I get to do is leave a friggin' message. Now if you had gone to the manufacturers website you would have learned 800-X was in production until 2020, not discontinued 5 years ago, so apparently whoever you talked to at Hodgdon about 800-x being discontinued five years ago lied to you. P.S. There is a big difference between available and discontinued, we have not been living in times where accurate information is easy to come by. I passed along in the form of a question information I learned from a factory rep of a small shotgun ammo producer. So again sorry if it was the cause of some heartburn for you.

"HODGDON HI-SKOR 800-X
$23.95 - $146.95

This product has been discontinued.

This large-grained flake powder was designed for heavy field loads from 10- to 28-gauge.

In handgun cartridges, 800-X performs superbly in cartridges like the 10mm auto and 44 Remington Magnum. Excellent velocity and uniformity translate into top accuracy.

This powder was discontinued in 2020."

Last edited by nhcrowshooter on Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

nhcrowshooter wrote:
They told me they use primed hulls and have not had a problem getting them, they use mostly Cheddite.

I would love to know where they get their primed hulls where they don't have trouble getting them. I got a load from BPI a month ago but have not seen them come back in stock since. Does someone else sell them and has them?

Powders has been less of a problem if you aren't too fussy about which one. They pop up at random times on Hodgdon. Very recently I have been able to buy WST, WSH, Competition, and last week, Titewad.

You can get all the shot you want by direct order from Lawrence but the price has skyrocketed. I found four bags of 7.5 at my local Sportsmen's Warehouse last Friday at $44. Lawrence is up to $85. They were $60 in April.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rhodesengr wrote:
I would love to know where they get their primed hulls where they don't have trouble getting them.

They probably import them themselves directly from France.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you can buy a shipping container at a time, and have cash money or excellent credit line, you would be surprised what some companies can do to go to the head of the line.

good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You don't have to buy a full shipping container of hulls from Cheddite. BUT you do have to wait until an OEM imports from Cheddite and a smaller order generally can be added to the container.

BPI is not a large enough company to buy a shipping container of hulls, which is why there is no real timeline when either they do or don't have them. Precision Reloading has the same issue.

That is how Bascheri & Pellagri wads, Gualandi wads, Fiocchi wads etc. end up in the US. I know this for certain, because I witnessed it first hand when I worked for Precision Reloading.

Catch as catch can......and you hope you guessed right when you placed the order.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I really don’t think that I will miss 800X. I still have a lot of 571, Longshot, and Pro Reach and of course Blue Dot. 700X,? Now that’s a damn fine powder that we need to keep around

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 am 
Crown Grade

nhcrowshooter wrote:
Sorry I inadvertently upset you. I don't generally call company's where all I get to do is leave a friggin' message. Yeah, it was a horrible wait of about 20 seconds to connect to the technician. Now if you had gone to the manufacturers website you would have learned 800-X was in production until 2020, not discontinued 5 years ago, so apparently whoever you talked to at Hodgdon about 800-x being discontinued five years ago lied to you. Yeah, an employee of the company probably doesn't have a clue what he is taking about and is lying through his teeth. And there is absolutely no chance that the webpage has a typo as has been pointed out numerous times about incorrect reload data printed in company published powder recipes. P.S. There is a big difference between available and discontinued, we have not been living in times where accurate information is easy to come by. I passed along in the form of a question information I learned from a factory rep of a small shotgun ammo producer. And by your own admission, that rep lied to you when he told you 700X had been discontinued. So again sorry if it was the cause of some heartburn for you. Nah, no heartburn here. Just grins & giggles from watching folks seeking answers to questions from unreliable sources on the Internet.

"HODGDON HI-SKOR 800-X
$23.95 - $146.95

This product has been discontinued.

This large-grained flake powder was designed for heavy field loads from 10- to 28-gauge.

In handgun cartridges, 800-X performs superbly in cartridges like the 10mm auto and 44 Remington Magnum. Excellent velocity and uniformity translate into top accuracy.

This powder was discontinued in 2020."
Please, feel free to search out your truth about products wherever it pleases you. I'll continue to seek out mine at the source - you know, from the folks that actually make the product. And remember - shoot more, and shoot more often. :D

Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hodgdon is just 15 minutes away and i actually have contacts there

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:49 am 
Field Grade

I picked up some components yesterday at a local shop who just got in a shipment of powder. So I grabbed an 8lber of 700x. The BPI small bore manual has a handful of recipes for 32 and 28ga I am going to try out, but there are many more for 800x so bummed to see that it is no longer available.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

Regarding the argument about discontinuation date? Maybe retail sales were discontinued, but manufacturer obligations had to be met. Meaning there may have been two official discontinuation dates.