ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to: Load brass Shotgun Cases??
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I picked up a nice Damascus Hopkin and Allen double that is tight and begging to be shot. It looks like the chambers are 2 1/2". I don't know a thing about loading brass shotgun shell, but I've loaded plastics for years. I'll be using black powder and moderate loads.

Does anyone load these? I know a lot of guys are loading them with black powder for cowboy shoots. How difficult is it and what tools do I need?

Any help will be appreciated!

Bill in OR

Post subject: Re: How to: Load brass Shotgun Cases??
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Just make sure you use ONLY blackpowder and 2 1/2 shotshell shells only.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:43 am 
Site Sponsor

No need to shoot brass shotshells unless you do it for fun. If you do, you will need oversize wads for the best seal in the shell. We use Activ hulls since you can wash them. For short chambers.....2", 2 1/2", etc.....buy a section of seamless alum tubing (ID .835") and cut to the length of the shell. Put the shell in the die, trim the shell with a sharp blade.
Common method of loading ......equal weight and powder by volume. Lee makes dippers for 1 1/8, 1 1/4, etc shot weights....just use to same dipper with FFg in all gauges through 12 gauge and Fg in 10 ga. Other powders by the same volume as Black.....Pyrodex, Triple 7, Clean Shot. Ballistic Products Inc is a good source for over-powder wads, filler (Styro and wool is best), and over-shot wads. No special tools needed with Activ hulls. A slight rolled crimp works on full length hulls that are not skived and cut off hulls. These old guns are great fun if they are in good shape. Best Regards, James

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

Hi guys; Been loading brass shotgun shells since i was a wee tot.(50years). Tryed the plastic roiute, but the black powder melts the plastic shell and the plastic wads. You can guess what kind of mess you have in the barrel. The "old type" read thin, brass shell are a lot thinner than the plastic and some of the newer machine turned shells. So, if you are loading the thinner shells you will have to find some larger wads. In my 12ga. I use 10ga overpowder and filler wads. To keep the shot in I use an 8ga. over the shot wad and a little silcon glue around the edge of the top wad. Check the books for the load that best suits you. And, there are a bunch of them!!! One last thing, I found hot/mag primers seem to work the best. Oh yea, learn to shoot then duck so you can see if you hit the target!! Lots of smoke.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:01 pm 
Field Grade

Back again. :oops: Dummy me forgot to let you know where I get my wads. "Ballistics Products" has almost every kind of fiber wad you will ever need. It is great to show up at the clubs and fire off a shot of black powder. You will get a lot of "What the ----? was that?