ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rookie Reloader's ?'s
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I am recently new to reloading and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a good recipe for a AA hull. I am thinking about trying to shoot skeet competitively and was in need of a good load. I have been messing around with different loads for a while now and cannot find one that seems to crimp real well and give good velocities ect. If you could include the type of power, oz, wad, primer, and wad pressure along with crimp pressure it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Luke_Duke

Post subject: Re: Rookie Reloader's ?'s
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:06 am 
Presentation Grade

:? You might want post what gauge you're using.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ummm...ok
you need to give us a little more specific information so we can help ya out.
First what gauge are ya talkin' about?
You say you've tried a few loads. What kind of powder do ya have?
Are you hunting or shooting clays? If you are hunting, what are you hunting? Phesants, quail, doves, grouse?
What type of gun...autoloader, O/U, pump?

My point is, that the reason that a lot of us handload shotshells is because we can tailor our rounds to a specific application. Anybody who tells ya that they handload to save money is either lying or not giving you the whole story. Sure the cost per round is less if you load yer own, but, you either end up shooting more or you spend more money on reloading junk, or both.
So...give us a little more information and I'm sure we can give you a recipe for your specific application or even a load that will work for a variety of applications.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Sorry about that.

I am currently shooting a 12 gauge Franchi O/U. I have been saving up AA hulls for a while now and was looking forward to switching over to them. I would like to have an all around trap/skeet load as I am hoping to join a local shooting club in the near future. I have a few pounds of 700-X, but switching to a powder that will give me more is very easy.

Thanks,
Luke_Duke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Use up your 700-X before you worry about switching powders - it's a little dirty, but it's a very popular powder. I don't use it, so I don't have a specific recipe for you, but if you load 1 oz at 1150 - 1200 fps, you'll have all you need for skeet and for 16 yard trap, as well as the close birds in Sporting Clays.

For the particulars, look in the powder manufacturer's data book. I used to use PC purple wads for 1 oz, but they kept getting harder to find, so I went to the Claybuster CB1100-12 (copy of the Winchester AA12SL). The hull, wad, and primer choice will all affect the required powder charge.