ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: which has most recoil?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

:?: which has the most recoil in a 12ga? a 1 0z load at 1180 fps or a 7/8 oz at 1300fps?I've been thinking about going down to the 7/8 oz load.Also I just bought a sig o/u that weighs 7 lbs and after 3 rounds of skeet,my shoulder was sore as hell.I put a pachmyer decelerator on it and also loaded a shell with 3 oz of shot and put it in the stock.It now weighs 7 1/2 lbs.will that help? thanks. sj
:?

Post subject: Re: which has most recoil?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is a recoil calculator. Give it a shot.

http://www.rfgc.org/reload/recoil_calc.htm

1/8oz of shot = 54.68 grains

I left the wad area blank, one of the reloaders can help you with wad weight and how many grains of powder in a normal shotgun shell.

By the way I put in 16 grains of powder (I have know idea)
then worked with your shot, gun weight, and velocity...and the 1oz load kicked a couple pounds harder even at the slower speed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The recoil of the two loads you listed would be very similar when fired from the same gun. What you gained in recoil reduction by going to a lighter load is lost by the increased velocity of the new load.

If your shoulder is sore after 3 rounds of skeet with 1 ounce loads at 1180 fps, then you need to do one (or several) of several things. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that your gun is a reasonable fit and that you are holding it correctly. I would recommend that you add enough shot to the stock hole to bring your gun weight up to at least 8.5 pounds. Many skeet shooters shoot a 9 pound or even a 10 pound gun. Also, begin reloading and load 7/8 ounces of #9 shot at about 1200 fps. That is all you need to break any skeet target. I think that these changes will make a big difference in the recoil you feel. You might also try a PAST recoil shield, but I really don't think it will be necessary if you do the other things I mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ulysses:my gun fits me fine.the problem is that I have arthritus in my right shoulder.I loaded up 2 boxes of #9 7/8 oz at 1200 fps tonight.I will go to the range tomorrow and see how they work.I started out at 1 1/8oz,then 1oz,now down to 7/8oz.I may have to put away my 12 and move down to a 28 or buy one of those auto shuckers. on the other hand I might just get one of those barrel inserts in 28 gauge. sj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

7/8 ounce loads of #9 shot at 1200 fps should work just fine for skeet and with minimal recoil in a 12 gauge gun. Be sure to use either skeet or cylinder chokes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why not go to 7/8 #8 at 1100fps. That would break skeet and drop the recoil down quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:16 am 
Diamond Grade

texas hunter:what load would give you that?I haveen't found anything that low in my reloading manuals.I use red dot to load with. thanks. sj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

B&P has some guys here in Dallas and I overheard them talking about a subsonic round at the range one day. I think this might be the one they were talking about but I also notice that it's a 2.5" shell. I bet one you reloading guys can figure out some sort of felt filler and get this baby into a 2.75" hull.
http://www.bandpamerica.com
Sub Sound 24gr
gauge: 12
brass: 8 mm
height: 2 & 2/3"
shell length: 67mm
case type: Gordon System Hull
material: Plastic
wad: Plastic
shot type: Hardened lead
grams/oz: 24: 7/8
powder: F2