ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loading with a MEC Jr.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Is there anything I can't do with a mec jr.? I will be reloading 12ga new AA shells, half for dove loads and half for skeet loads. I recently found a MEC at a gun shop close to my house, it's used for $75. I believe it is a MEC jr. I'm not positive on the model, but I do know it's a mec. I would like to know a little bit about MEC's. I just wanted to ask some of you guys what I should look at when deciding to buy the reloader, that is if it has certian components I need to load certian loads and what not. The loads I had in mind where 1 1/8 loads for dove and 1 oz loads for skeet, I may go down to 7/8 oz if I get too warn out shooting the 1 ozes, which I doubt, but I would like the option of loading 7/8 if I ever, excuse the expression, got a wild hair up my a$$ to do so.

Any info would be greatly appreciated as always, thanx in advance!!

Post subject: Re: Loading with a MEC Jr.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:32 am 
Limited Edition

Mec presses are great! I have an old Versamec 700.

Just remember that the press will have to be set up for the new AA hulls (grey).

Go to MEC's web site and get the procedure.

RePete.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:55 am 
Tournament Grade

The MEC is a great product and for the money you can't beat it. Things do tend to wear out eventually but replacement parts are easily available, easy to find, and inexpensive. I have 3 MEC 600's. From the price you listed I suspect that is what you are looking at. Look on the botom underside of the press, there will be a serial number and model number. The 600 has been upgraded a couple of times by MEC. If you contact them they can tell ya when this press was made and give you an owner's manual. Many people have tried to convince me to go to a progressive press but I enjoy the single stage presses too much. A couple of things that I would recommend to up grade the press is the automatic primer feed tray and the wood handel. Neither is necessary, but both are kind of nice if you're gonna sit down and load a hundred shells at a time.
Lots of guys like the universal charge bars (there was a post on this subject earlier on this forum) but new MEC charge bars are about $6-$8 to drop different shot weights. Bushings for different powder weights are a couple bucks.
I love the 7/8 oz 12 gauge load for skeet. I'm using about 17 grains of Hodgdon Clays with a WAA12L wad, W209 primers in AA hulls for about 1200 ft/sec

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:11 am 
Tournament Grade

Check EBay, you may be able to beat that price. A new Mec 600 is about $95

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:03 am 
Crown Grade

$75 would be about right for a 600 if it already has the primer feed added. Without the primer feed, they're $55 - $60 if they're nice and clean. A couple extra charge bars and a handful of bushings could push the price up a few bucks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Great loader.Sounds like you got a fair deal. I would suggest you add the auto primer feed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:00 pm 
Make life easy- just use 1 oz. of #8's for skeet, and doves, and life will be good. The 7/8 oz. loads will do fine for both too. 1-1/8 oz loads are really overkill for skeet and doves.