ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: undershot cards?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:42 am 
Diamond Grade

do you use them when reloading 7/8 oz loads.there seems to be too much space and I'm getting bad crimps.whats the answer?thanks. sj

Post subject: Re: undershot cards?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You have to use the correct wad when loading 7/8 ounce loads. I've had good success with the Federal 12SO wad or the Claybuster copy of that wad.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:43 am 
Global Moderator

Are you using the right wad? Its always a good idea to double check the components if something isnt exactly right. And then check the depth of wad seating.

Some folks will add plastic dividers, felt spacers, and even spent primers to bulk up a shot charge to get a nice crimp. With non tox loads I have used as many as 3 felt spacers to get a good crimp.

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:13 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
I have used a card wad in the bottom of the shot cup, and this is listed in some 7/8 oz recipes. I have also dropped a navy bean in the bottom of the shot cup in lieu of a card wad before dropping the shot (that won't work with some reloaders). The navy bean takes up the right amount of space and just crushes to powder on firing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

I was using 1 0z wads,but I got some 7/8 oz wads and reset my wad seaterdown to 50 lbs.and it seems to be working ok nw. sj