ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best loads for Swan Hunting
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:43 pm 
:D Hi we live in Montana and my husband drew a swan tag this year for the first time and we were wondering if any experienced hunters out there might reccomend a certain type
of shot and brand to bring down these giant birds?! Thanks for your time ...

Post subject: Re: best loads for Swan Hunting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is one clear choice here. DO NOT BUY STEEL!!!!

I'd buy the biggest HEVI-SHOT 12 gauge load I could get my hands on.

Here is the Remington Part number : PRHSN12HM
Premier Hevi-Shot Nitro 12 gauge Magnum in BB shot size.
I would shoot this thru a modified choke. This will shoot through any gun proofed for steel shot.

These shells are expensive as all get out, but you owe it to the bird and the tag to not take anything cheap.

Post subject: Re: best loads for Swan Hunting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:27 am 
Presentation Grade

I shot my first tundra swan last year hear in NC. I used what I use for geese. 10 ga, shooting 1 7/8 oz of BB's. Swans have low hunting presure, so they decoy in much easier then other waterfowl. They are BIG so don't be decieved. They are farther away then you think and flying faster then you think. Use the old rule of thumb for hunting canadian geese, you have to clearly see their eye for them to be in range to shoot. With a swan seeing the eye is easy with white feathers so make sure you look to see the details of the eye not just the black spot on the white feathers. If your hunting with a 12 ga any standard steel BB load is fine. If you go to Bismuth or heavy shot you can size down to B or #1.

HERE IS THE KEY - DON"T SHOOT THE BODY, SHOOT THE HEAD !!!!! These birds are big and have thick skin, and thick feathers. Focus on the head of the bird and try to shoot it off ! I stoned mine at about 50 yards passing and it dropped like a ton of bricks. Solid head shot.

APEXDUCK