ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12 ga loads
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:01 pm 
i am new to trapshooting, and using shells my father loaded about 25 yrs ago. they shot well, but some are criticizing me for using too hot of a load. they are AA hulls, 1 1/2 oz of #7 1/2 shot(i believe), 20 gr of win 452aa powder, w/ waa12 wads and win209 primers(I think). i am being told that this is going to damage the gun. he used this setup for several years, winning a national championship w/ it. do i need to go to a lighter load? also, is winshester 452aa powder still available? i cannot seem to locate any. Thanks

Post subject: Re: 12 ga loads
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:11 pm 
I would hope that is a missprint on 1 1/2 ounces of shot. If not, I would consider it unsafe.
Gene Horner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ATA (the Amateur Trap Association) which sets the rules for registered trap shooting in this country, has a limit of 1 1/8 ounce of shot in the shell. Your shells are WAY over the allowable limit. In addition, many shooting ranges place a limit of 1 1/8 ounce loads of #7.5 (max size) shot at their shooting range. I would advise you to save your father's loads for hunting or target practice out in a farmer's field. Buy some loads more suitable for trapshooting today.

I think that Winchester discontinued the 452AA powder 10 or more years ago. It is not listed in a 1995 Winchester reloading catalog that I have.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Those are not extraordinarily hot loads, just based on the 20 grain powder charge. I would question the 1-1/2 oz shot charge, though.... I'll bet it's 1-1/8 oz. This load will not harm any modern firearm... compared to a waterfowling load with a typical 35 grain or better powder charge, this is a pooper.

There is no need to shoot this heavy a load, though. Finish shooting what you've got, and then look at what's available today from the various powder companies. I would recommend a 1 oz load at 1150 - 1200 fps for 16 yard trap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:42 pm 
Field Grade

1 1/2 oz of 7-1/2 shot is a hell of a lot of shot, how can ya miss! lol

yea sounds liek a powerful load. I use the WAA12 too with a federal209A primer and blue dot powder. I think 32 grains of powder and 1 5/8 oz of lead.... I don't think the guys in this forum will like to read that. Its probably not a safe load. I've shot a few hundred out of my semiauto and the always work fine with a hell of a punch. The hull's are usually discharged 15 feet from the gun. Kinda powerful but the geese fall down.