ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bismuth in the Littleton shot maker?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

I read some where that you can make bismuth alloy shot with a home shot maker. Sounds interesting. Is it worth the bother from a monitary stand point? Does it really work?

Post subject: re: Bismuth in the Littleton shot maker?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:57 am 
Field Grade

Sir.

No and yes.
Bismuth shot is very expensive. So is the raw metal alloy you will need to use. If you shoot alot of this prodcut yes it will quickly pay for it's self.

If you reload lead shot then you have the added bonus of a quiker pay off.

Now, the shot amker is not made for bismuth as it come off the shelf, only becuase the melt point of bismuth is much lower than it's intended use lead. A switch must be installed before you will be able run the shotmaker low enough.

I have sold only around 10 units just for that use over the last 5 years. Folks have made #10 to #4, one gent even made #2 with enormous trouble.

Is there any thing else I can help with regarding making bismuth shot?

Alan Burgess
520-370-4999
LittletonShotmaker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:10 pm 
DELETED

Post subject: Re: re: Bismuth in the Littleton shot maker?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:51 am 
Field Grade

littletonshotmaker wrote:
Sir.

Now, the shot amker is not made for bismuth as it come off the shelf, only becuase the melt point of bismuth is much lower than it's intended use lead. A switch must be installed before you will be able run the shotmaker low enough.

I have sold only around 10 units just for that use over the last 5 years. Folks have made #10 to #4, one gent even made #2 with enormous trouble.

Is there any thing else I can help with regarding making bismuth shot?

Alan Burgess
520-370-4999
LittletonShotmaker

I have a couple of questions: Does the switch allowing the shotmaker to work with Bismuth make the unit unusable for lead? Is this a switch you install at your factory, or would I need to have it installed myself? Finally, I've scoured the web for a source of Bismuth alloy ingots, and can't seem to find any. Do you know of a source for Bismuth?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Right from the horses mouth!

I am guessing I could use a variac to reduce the voltage and thus make it run cooler?

Post subject: Re: Bismuth in the Littleton shot maker?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Making bismuth shot is completely possible, I have been doing it for a few years now using the OASIS SHOTMAKER ( http://www.oasisleadshotmaker.com/ ) They have a new model coming out that is PID controlled, very precise temperature control. Here is what you need to know in order to make bismuth shot.

1) bismuth is brittle, add 10% tin

2) Temperature control is critical, a rheostat won't work, a switch wont work, a thermostat will work with little success. PID control will defiantly work.

3) The basic Oasis Lead Shotmaker cost less, but if you plan on making really good bismuth shot spend the extra money on the PID controlled shotmaker from http://www.oasisleadshotmaker.com/

4) Buy your bismuth and tin from ASARCO, Inc. the email is [email protected] his price is as follows:
We can sell you the bismuth: 10-gram Pellet, 99.99% Bi.
We package in 25lb and 50lb units.
Price: $6.00/lb FOB Denver, Colorado
Shipping: $13.00 for 25 lb and $19.00 for 50 lb.

I forget what the price for tin is, I think around $11 per pound.
Remember, around 6% to 10% tin so the mixture I use is 60lb Bismuth, 1lb Tin.

Total cost was around $425 for more shot than I could ever use so I sold most of it, for $14 per pound. Total profit= around $7.00 per pound, more money to go duck hunting with.

5) The problem with making good bismuth shot is that you will be so busy making shot for your reloading buddies you won't have time to go duck hunting.

If you need more help contact Tim at http://www.oasisleadshotmaker.com/ he knows how to get ahold of me

Hope this post helps,
Karl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:42 am 
Crown Grade

I have a copy of an article describing how the Aussies have modified a lead shotmaker to make bismuth shot for geese. The larger sizes are harder to make as described above. English shot sizes as used in Australia are different than ours but I believe they were making something close to our #2. I have considered buying one but I have a hard time figuring how I am going to save enough money to justify buying the machine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:21 pm 
Field Grade

The article Geometric refers to is in a copy of Guns and Game magazine, try google. It is a good article.