ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shopping for SxS
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:58 pm 
Field Grade

As an owner of only modern shotguns, all with pistol grips; it has been said if that is all one is used to, getting comfortable with a straight stock takes some doing.

I don't know why, but I have it in my head that a sxs looks better with straight stock, though I have decided I really like the Prince of Wales better with a full beaver tail fore end.

T-Pee... stand down, yes I am going to cross post this question...shoot me... ^77

Is there a point in time that one can assume barrels prior to are not be safe for modern shells? Conversely when did manufacturers start to make modern barrels? Rule of thumb?

One more T-Pee...Like this Spanish gun on other threads is from the 1950's. How does one go about determining if an older gun is safe to use steel, bismuth, or even TSS?

Post subject: Re: Shopping for SxS
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:14 pm 
Limited Edition

PawleysJim wrote:
T-Pee... stand down, yes I am going to cross post this question...shoot me... ^77
Yessir. :)
Quote:
One more T-Pee...Like this Spanish gun on other threads is from the 1950's. How does one go about determining if an older gun is safe to use steel, bismuth, or even TSS?
Ask in yet another thread on this forum.

Sorry. I couldn't resist. :twisted:

I did however go looking for an answer for you:
http://www.shotguns.se/html/steel_shot.html

Then, I did a verbatim search of your question:
https://shotgunreport.com/2012/05/04/sa ... -old-guns/

Don't hate me. :wink:

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Older SxS guns are not generally ok to shoot steel through
The barrel flats will have the proof marks

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:58 pm 
Field Grade

TP...thanks... I think...how soon do you folks have before Cali falls into the pacific?

Though the shotguns.se link was a great source of information.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:35 pm 
Limited Edition

PawleysJim wrote:
TP...thanks... I think...how soon do you folks have before Cali falls into the pacific?

Couldn't care less. I live well east of the San Andreas. It's the coastal areas that need to be concerned.

tp (high, dry and looking forward to beachfront property)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:38 am 
Presentation Grade

I bought a CZ Bobwhite G2. I like it and it will shoot anything. It did not take much to get used to the straight stock. Major manufacturer with engineers resident overseeing production, full warranty, choke tubes. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:36 pm 
Field Grade

This is what I ended up with. Got to shoot her last weekend...perfect little gun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:42 pm 
Limited Edition

Good looking gun. Details?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:27 am 
Field Grade

She is Janssen & Fils Belgium Boxlock 20ga. 28" made (we think) in the '30's. If you look close you will see a crack repair in the grip. This is where it gets interesting. The both barrels are marked "CHOKE 15.9". The Seller advertised IC & IM (.010 & .023). Using a choke gauge I find a Cyl. & IC.

I shot out of the IC a point of aim test from 16 yd +/- using #5 shot though I shot it a little high, first time shooting it, the pattern was evenly dispersed thou real tight, #5 @ 16 yd kinda expected.

I have not done a proper patterning yet, but I am thinking that I might be ahead of the game choke wise. With proper ammo selection it might be easier to get a tighter pattern than it would be to get a more open pattern from a full choke barrels without buying spreader rounds. But then I could be wrong.

So, any thoughts on what rounds I should use for to reach out for dove and farm raised quail over dogs?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:10 pm 
Limited Edition

PawleysJim wrote:
This is what I ended up with. Got to shoot her last weekend...perfect little gun.

Very nice!

What's with everyone getting SxS lately? I brought home a 1978 Browning BSS Wednesday.
28" barrels in 12 gauge, a full set of Colonial thinwalls, manual safety, selectable trigger and shoots like a dream. :)

tp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:24 am 
Presentation Grade

The 15.9 is the bore diameter in millimetres, to GT roadat proof.
Measure the choke with a micrometer caliper - the difference is your choke.
Of course, the pattern board tells you what you really need to know.
We cannot see a chamber length marking. Do you know if it has short chambers?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:13 am 
Field Grade

saskbooknut wrote:
The 15.9 is the bore diameter in millimetres, to GT roadat proof.
Measure the choke with a micrometer caliper - the difference is your choke.
Of course, the pattern board tells you what you really need to know.
We cannot see a chamber length marking. Do you know if it has short chambers?

The chambers are 2-3/4, shoots modern shells just fine. Using a choke gauge, $25 on amazon, I find that the barrels are cylinder and IC. As I have mentioned on another forum T-P... The seller probably did what you suggested and came up with IC &IM .010 & .023...go figure. Just to check out point of aim I used #5 from 16 +/- yd. Firt time pulling the trigger, shot a little high, me I think, It was a perfect pattern, but very tight. 99.9% in 15" Diameter.

I hope to get to patterning this week and or weekend, but we have dove season and duck season open, and there are Wahoo and Tuna offshore, that'll be Friday! Good thing I not a deer hunter...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

PawleysJim,

I recommend you purchase some RST or Poly shells, the SpredR's work great out of the Classic double guns. Especially good for Grouse, Woodcock, Quail and Pheasant, just choose the right # shells for the birds you hunt. The low pressure 7/8 & 1 Oz shells at about 1200 FPS or under are safest for your gun, especially sense you have a repair already.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:00 am 
Limited Edition

All of my Upland guns (2 Upland Specials [12 & 20] and 2 Superlights [28 & 410]) have straight grips and I can't tell any difference from pistol gripped guns. They are lighter and have shorter barrels (24" & 26") and are appreciably lighter but shoot the same.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

PawleysJim,

In reality there is no certain date for good high grade barrels. Krupp was making incredible barrels for J.P. Sauer even before the 1st world war. However understand the metallurgy in the classic double guns is important and each manufacturers barrels were made differently down thru history. I do recommend you use RST & Poly shells in your classic double guns, they are making great shells for the classic double guns now that act like the old slow burning powder of the past. 1200 FPS and below I shoot in my good L.C. Smith and German Best, and never have any problems.

Further if your gun fits you properly it really does not matter which type of stock you shoot with, each individual likes a certain type of gun stock however. I use most all the different types depending on the gun maker. My old #5 L.C. Smith 12 gauge has a Monte Carlo pistol Grip stock, that is just out of this world smooth to use, it destroys Pheasants and with light shells is pure murder on Grouse, Woodcock and Quail. The gun fits me like it was custom made for me, and throws 36" killing patterns.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1901 L.C. Smith #5 Gun, with Kraus's engraving of his own Ryman Setter Gun Dogs.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor