ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: loose choke tubes
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:30 pm 
Field Grade

Does anyone have any tricks to keep Briley tubes for the Remington 28ga Sporting tight. These are the extended ones with no wrench notches. I have tried every thing short of teflon tape! Have to run them in every couple of shots. Is there any type of wrench i can get to snug these down that last little bit so they will stay put? Thanks to all that can help.

Post subject: Re: loose choke tubes
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They should not work loose as you describe. Give Briley a call and see what they recommend. I'd be interested in hearing their response.
In the mean time,a drop of fingernail polish on the threads might work as a temporary measure.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:40 pm 
Field Grade

I never thaught of finger nail polish. I would be afraid of rust or corrosion in the bore. I did consider plumbers dope like You would use on gas lines. Did,nt do it but sure thaught about it! It is getting pretty frustrating. I am going to call Briley on monday and see what they have to say. I,ll post the reponse from them. maybe I,m not the only one with this problem.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:50 am 
Field Grade

Talked to Briley this morning. The tech I spoke to suggested using teflon tape. I think I will try it. The second option was to send my tubes to them to have slots milled in them and use the Briley speed wrench on them then. We,ll see how tape works first. I clean everything every time i shoot so im not worried about rust or corrosion forming.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Greasing your chokes works are well. Teflon tape can be a real pain to remove sometimes.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:32 am 
Tournament Grade

I know Briley makes a tappered aluminum wrench that wedges into their 12 tubes that are not milled for a wrench. I wonder if they offer the same thing in 28 ga.?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:03 pm 
Field Grade

I dont know. Maybe i will give them a call and check. I dont remember anything on thier website.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:07 am 
Crown Grade

If you're going to change your choke tubes any at all, DON'T PUT ON TEFLON TAPE!!! It's essentially a one-use deal, it's stringy and a pain to take off. Don't do it. Neither, in my opinion, should you use finger nail polish if you intend to change choke tubes. Why don't you pad the jaws of a small pair of pliers and tighten the tube with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

There are expanding friction-principle choke tube wrenches out there (I have one for my 20 gauges) and it works GREAT!. It takes a little searching to find them, but it is well worth the effort. Do a web search, and don't give up!

BobK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:31 am 
Crown Grade

The best way I found is to use white teflon plumber's tape. Neither oil nor grease would suffice - they still came loose every 3-4 shots. The tape held in tight the whole time

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:48 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Most often I have noticed that a tube and the choke hole in the barrel may contain a minor mis-cut, whether due to a lack of flatness of the choke tube mating surfaces, threads cut slightly askew to the hole, and of course- the ever-present crooked alignment to the bore that may have a significant effect of choke loosening from firing.

Do consider this, as well. If a choke is slanted in alignment to the bore, extra impact will occur to one side of the tube compared to the other side. The tolerances of the choke tube and hole must contain some clearance, so the stress of shot impact stretches the choke more to that side- flexing the tube unevenly, sliding the thread up the ramp of the opposing thread face, altering the minimal tension that can be developed with a small wrench, and using the vibration input as the motor to microscopically move the tube up the ramp of the thread helix.

Now your tube gets loose.

Now you see why I consistently post about crooked choke tube holes, and the benefit of precision tube alignment increasing shooter effectiveness and satisfaction.

[email protected]

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
It's essentially a one-use deal, it's stringy and a pain to take off.

I have never had that problem - yes, I take it off when done, but then I clean my gun each time; if I don't use it, the chokes come loose and I get a fair amount of blow-by on the outside of the tube. It isn't hard to remove, and runing either a bore snake or a brush on the barrel threads leans them right up

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:56 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Quote:

I have never had that problem - yes, I take it off when done, but then I clean my gun each time; if I don't use it, the chokes come loose and I get a fair amount of blow-by on the outside of the tube. It isn't hard to remove, and runing either a bore snake or a brush on the barrel threads leans them right up

Then, it's been improved over the years. We used to use it on pipe threads and if the joint was broken more than once that crap was a mess and behaved as I described.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:17 am 
Crown Grade

Mustangdriver wrote:
oneounceload wrote:
Quote:

Then, it's been improved over the years. We used to use it on pipe threads and if the joint was broken more than once that crap was a mess and behaved as I described.

I don't change chokes - if I'm shooting the local 5-stand, then the IC choke goes in and stays in. If I'm shooting one particular sporting course, the LM or M goes in and stays in. The only time the choke gets removed is when I'm done and cleaning afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a problem where it is very difficult to screw a choke tube in on my bottom barrel. It is a pain to change choke tubes, and I don't have the same problem on the top barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:19 pm 
Field Grade

I use brake caliper grease on my threads works well and is heat proof.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:20 pm 
Field Grade

I use brake caliper grease on my threads works well and is heat proof.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:37 am 
Diamond Grade

Hello: I use a Carlson 20 gauge wrench that I turned down the rubber on to fit the 28 gauge chokes. I also use Walmart blue boat trailer grease on the reads and body of the choke to help keep them tight. Never had one come loose even after 300 rounds. Thanks, Eric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:14 am 
Crown Grade

I bought a "universal" friction type choke tube wrench from Mack's Prairie Wings (I think, it's been a while), that works well with 28 through 12 gauge. I keep it on the bench, for the "just in case" scenario when a non-slotted tube tube doesn't want to come out with normal methods.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I used a set of these to remove a stuck magazine cap.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 13787.aspx
They should also work to tighten a choke without notches.
You might be able to find something cheaper, with padded jaws.