ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 ga. choke tubes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:38 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a 16 ga. Remington model 58 Sportsman presently choked Mod. -- I would either have it opened to IC - or have it made ''choke tube acceptable '' . Does anyone know of someone that can do either ? Thanks for any info .

Post subject: Re: 16 ga. choke tubes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What are you planning to use it for? I have a number of 16 gauge guns, and I have had a couple opened up from Full to IC, and I have have a couple that came Mod, and I have left them Mod. I shoot targets and really can't tell that much difference. I had mine done locally by a competent gunsmith, who has since retired. I would recommend Mike Orlen, if you decide to have it done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:01 am 
Crown Grade

IMHO there is no one to consider but Mike Orlen. You'll find him as the moderator of the gunsmith forum. His price list is there and his work is better than those that charge several times as much. Don't expect a lot of communication, he's too busy working to chat. Just send him your barrel along with a note and a check, and before you know it, your barrel will be back in your hands and you'll be a lifetime customer.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

I sent him several barrels once and he sent the barrels back before I ever made a payment. He does a great job and knows what he is doing.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have had Mike Orlen do numerous barrels for me, from forcing cone work to choke modifications and tube installation. All work was excellent and turn around time was super fast!
Highly recommended him.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

+ 1 for Mike Orlen. Be persistent in trying to reach him. He also gives a discount to members here so give him your Sign On Name.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

WoodDuck,

Had our 16 gauge Model 58 opened up years ago by Rich Painter, unfortunately he is retired now, and his shop is gone. Mike Olen will do a good job for ya, definitely let him know you participate here.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:57 am 
Tournament Grade

Briley can install interchangeable chokes if you decide to go that route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

MNGunner,

You are absolutely correct Briley can install screw in chokes and they work perfectly. I have an 1898 L.C. Smith #2 20 gauge double gun, that they long ago made permanent full 28 gauge inserts for, and custom made the SK1 & SK2 screw in chokes, to match the 28 gauge inserts, they work perfectly even today. Briely does great work, all you need to do is pay for it.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith 1898 20 gauge #2 gun, with 28 gauge Briley full inserts and custom made SK1 & SK2 screw in chokes.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
MNGunner,

You are absolutely correct Briley can install screw in chokes and they work perfectly. I have an 1898 L.C. Smith #2 20 gauge double gun, that they long ago made permanent full 28 gauge inserts for, and custom made the SK1 & SK2 screw in chokes, to match the 28 gauge inserts, they work perfectly even today. Briely does great work, all you need to do is pay for it.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith 1898 20 gauge #2 gun, with 28 gauge Briley full inserts and custom made SK1 & SK2 screw in chokes.

Beautiful gun, Dave!! You seem to have access to a mint LC Smith Tree