ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28” gauge lengthen chambers to 3”
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Now that Benelli has started the 3” market can the chambers on my 686 silver pigeon be lengthened to accept the new 3” shells? I understand old guns could be lenthened from 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 and am hoping the same is going to be possible now or soon.

Post subject: Re: 28” gauge lengthen chambers to 3”
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:17 am 
Crown Grade

On your specific gun, you would have to have a gunsmith measure and know the barrel thickness and if there is enough metal near the chamber for the gun to be safe after removing the metal. (It depends on barrel profile.)

BUT... since the 3" shells seem to be "vaporware" and are not readily available, why bother? Besides, today, I don't see any major advantage to the 3" loads offered over the 2 3/4" loads in 28 ga. My 3/4 oz. lead loads work fine for doves, quail, woodcock and grouse, and the 1 oz. lead Winchester load works fine for wild pheasants. And some guys reload their 2 3/4" hulls with Hevi-shot, etc. non-tox for large waterfowl and turkeys and do very well with it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm also guessing it will be difficult to find gunsmiths with reamers since this is a once a year job at most.

Plus your Beretta most likely has chrome lined befores, meaning carbide, meaning a more expensive reamer and a more expensive bill from the gunsmith, for something of emmently dubious utility.

The Fiocchi 3" 1oz only offer 95 fps more over the 1oz Winchesters and the heavier load only offers an extra 1/16oz of shot, so you either get imperceivably higher velocity or imperceivably higher shot charge (14 pellets w/ #6, 10 w/ #5), not both, plus the Winchesters are actually available.

Long story short, if the gun you want comes with 3" chambers, it won't hurt anything, but I can't think of a reason to have your gun rechambered for them.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:01 am 
Crown Grade

Fiocchi also makes a 1-1/16oz 3" shell in their Golden Pheasant line of ammo. Surprised this 3" for 28 didn't happen sooner.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Using this logic, can a 4 inch chambered .410 be far behind?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:06 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

ARoth80 wrote:
Now that Benelli has started the 3” market can the chambers on my 686 silver pigeon be lengthened to accept the new 3” shells? I understand old guns could be lenthened from 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 and am hoping the same is going to be possible now or soon.

The so-called "3 inch market" has crashed and burned, it is non-existent.

You'll destroy the chrome lining by lengthening the chamber and with it, the value of the gun.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:05 am 
Crown Grade

All Benelli has done is to put a 3" chamber on a 28 ga. gun. They are not an ammo producer, and 3 chambered 28 ga. guns have been produced in the past. My shooting buddy (now deceased) had an older 28 ga. O/U (a Zoli, if I recall right) that had 3" chambers, although no one made shells back then, either.

I haven't seen 3" 28 ga. shells on the shelves of any of the stores I have been in, and they don't seem readily available. (In fact, I don't have any use for them - 1 oz. Winchesters work great if I need the extra shot.)

In addition, SAAMI only has chamber and shell specifications for 2 3/4" 28 ga., and I am not aware of any rush to include specs for a 3" 28 ga.

As Randy stated above, the 3" 28 ga. has crashed and burned.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:52 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

When you see loads like this, https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product ... ory=201503 , it is readily apparent that someone has lost their marbles.

All of that to throw 1 oz. out of a 28 gauge? It is bizarre.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:57 am 
Presentation Grade

If you need more payload, get a 20 gauge.
If you really, really need more payload get a 12 gauge.
There is load data from BPI for 1 oz. 28 gauge in 2 3/4 hulls, but why ruin a good thing ?
The one advantage to 28 gauge is a very light gun. Why seek punishing recoil?
I just don't understand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Winchester tried that same thing many years ago with there Mod12 28ga. with
2 7/8" chambers but I don't believe they made many if any shells for it. I can reload 7/8oz
loads from Federal hulls at 1275fps that destroy pheasants out to 40 yds.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:36 pm 
Crown Grade

The 28 gauge 2 7/8 inch shell was available before the 2 3/4 inch.The old 28 gauge shells were 2 1/2 inch.Winchester/Western increased the length to 2 7/8 and had their 28 gauge Model 37 and Model 12 guns chambered for it.All Winchester Model 12 guns marked 2 3/4 for the 28 gauge, have 2 7/8 inch chambers

Winchester,Remington,Federal and Western all made 2 7/8 28 gauge loads in the past.To the best of my knowledge the 28 gauge 2 7/8 inch loads were made into the 1950s.

When skeet became popular and ruled all 28 gauge guns were to use chambers no larger than 2 3/4 inch ,the 2 7/8 inch shells fell into disuse .

For one I am sorry to see any cartridge decline.I take no glee, as some seem to do, in the 3 inch 28 gauge not catching on at the present.I am thinking the 3 inch 28 gauge is a bit ahead of its time.It will shine in a time, when all shot will have to be non tox.Where its larger shot volume will allow more steel shot(the cheapest non tox now available) to be used and keep the 28 gauge alive for use in the game fields.

The 2 3/4 inch 28 gauge shell with steel is under loaded.You cannot get enough pellets in that length ,to get good loads at any thing except very close range.Bismuth loads are available for the 28 gauge,but the cost is too high for the average shooter to use any amount of.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

28 gauge wrote:
The 2 3/4 inch 28 gauge shell with steel is under loaded.You cannot get enough pellets in that length ,to get good loads at any thing except very close range

What does that say about the 16 gauge?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Are there any disadvantages shooting 2-3/4" out of a three inch chamber?

'Cause if not, I'm going to switch to shooting 5/8oz. 2-1/2" shells...

...in 2-3/4" chambers. :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:33 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

28 gauge wrote:
The 2 3/4 inch 28 gauge shell with steel is under loaded.You cannot get enough pellets in that length ,to get good loads at any thing except very close range.Bismuth loads are available for the 28 gauge,but the cost is too high for the average shooter to use any amount of.

No one that I know buys a 28 gauge because the ammunition is just so darn cheap. Already, there are countless 20 gauges as light, or lighter than 28 gauges, lighter than can be shot enjoyably with heavy loads.

28 gauge shotguns have always been a bit pricey compared to 12 and 20 gauges, the ammunition is a rip-off, and they are not close to being as useful as a 20 gauge, much less a 12 gauge. All that can possibly be gained with a 3 inch 28 gauge is a very poor-performing shotgun compared to most any 20 gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:26 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
28 gauge wrote:
The 2 3/4 inch 28 gauge shell with steel is under <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">loaded.You</span> cannot get enough pellets in that length ,to get good loads at any thing except very close range.Bismuth loads are available for the 28 gauge,but the cost is too high for the average shooter to use any amount of.

No one that I know buys a 28 gauge because the ammunition is just so darn cheap. Already, there are countless 20 gauges as light, or lighter than 28 gauges, lighter than can be shot enjoyably with heavy loads.

28 gauge shotguns have always been a bit pricey compared to 12 and 20 gauges, the ammunition is a rip-off, and they are not close to being as useful as a 20 gauge, much less a 12 gauge. All that can possibly be gained with a 3 inch 28 gauge is a very poor-performing shotgun compared to most any 20 gauge.

Then at the other end of lunacy you got guys trying to shoot 1/2oz. out of a 12ga. Get a smaller gun! Duh!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:36 am 
Crown Grade

Hello Randy.Always enjoy enjoy comments.Yes the cost of all gauges ,beside the 12 gauge look expensive.

For the most part there is no need now a days, for anything but a 12 gauge gun.The 12 gauge can cover everything from a light 2 1/2 inch load to a 3 1/2 inch load.There are heavy 12 gauge guns for those who want them and light weight guns for those who want them,with light and heavy loads for both.

Many said the 3 1/2 inch shell would not catch on,as the shell was a poor performer.Seems they were wrong.However ,if it were not for the mandated use of steel shot,I doubt the 3 1/3 inch 12 gauge would have come about or been a success .

Most people want their shells as cheap as popssible,so the 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge steel came into use.I dare say a 3 inch load of 12 gauge Bismuth would do as good as a 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch load of steel,but the cost is so much more for the Bismuth.

You are right,no one buys a 28 gauge because the shells are cheap.but human nature being human nature,people do try to buy the lowest cost they can get.LOL

I have not tried them ,but I dare say a 28 gauge 3 inch steel load will do better than a 2 3/4 inch steel load.Perhaps you could do a test on this and post your results.

What are your thoughts on the 3 inch 20 gauge shell?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:13 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

28 gauge wrote:
Many said the 3 1/2 inch shell would not catch on,as the shell was a poor performer.Seems they were wrong.However ,if it were not for the mandated use of steel shot,I doubt the 3 1/3 inch 12 gauge would have come about or been a success .

Most people want their shells as cheap as popssible,so the 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge steel came into use.I dare say a 3 inch load of 12 gauge Bismuth would do as good as a 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch load of steel,but the cost is so much more for the Bismuth.

You are right,no one buys a 28 gauge because the shells are cheap.but human nature being human nature,people do try to buy the lowest cost they can get.LOL

I have not tried them ,but I dare say a 28 gauge 3 inch steel load will do better than a 2 3/4 inch steel load.Perhaps you could do a test on this and post your results.

What are your thoughts on the 3 inch 20 gauge shell?

The majority of the wild pheasants and turkeys I've taken over my lifetime has been with 3 inch 20 gauge loads.

Bismuth loads aren't that expensive: https://www.cabelas.com/product/KENT-BI ... 263462.uts

$2.19 a shell for 1-3/8 oz. of #5, but $3.29 for a 7/8 oz. 28 gauge load. Bismuth is half the price of some tungsten loads.

It isn't like decent steel loads are free. The bag limits often aren't all that generous, except for snow geese. For wild pheasants, bag limit of two per day, bismuth will cost you $2.50 a day more than using steel. Ten days of (successful) hunting, you have "saved" almost enough for a medium deep-dish pizza. :shock:

The Mossberg / Federal 3-1/2 inch 12 gauge killed off the 10 gauge, but has it sold more guns than ammo. People buy 3-1/2 inch 12 gauges because "well, you never know." More cost, more recoil, more noise . . . and you net an underwhelming extra 3 or 4 yards of range.

Vet bills, dog food, duck calls, waders, your decoy spread, a $40,000 truck to carry it all, perhaps a $15K 4-wheeler, a $2000 plastic shotgun, hunting licenses, etc. (perhaps a boat and trailer) . . . and we are actually worried about a dollar a shell? :lol: :lol: :lol:

This just ain't right.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:51 am 
Presentation Grade

OP I would be in no rush to go 3" 28.

IMO a scaled 20ga gun is darn near as sweet to handle as a scaled 28ga gun and you can certainly find various weights in 20's if you just want lighter. Further if you've fired the heaviest of 2 3/4" loads through a 28 you might have noticed a lot of the fun of the 28 goes away with the sharp increase in recoil.

12ga o/u's feel like 2x4's to me and I definitely understand the desire to go to a smaller size frame but 20s and 28s are an entirely different animal if built to scale.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:27 am 
Presentation Grade

I enjoy carrying a light 28 ga loaded with extra heavy 1-1/2 or 1-5/8 oz TSS handloads for turkeys. The recoil isn't an issue when the adrenaline is surging and it's just one shot. You can't go any heavier than that anyway due to component availability limitations, so other than the potential for more muzzle velocity, I don't feel that there is any real practical advantage to a longer hull at present - even for turkeys.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:03 am 
Diamond Grade

3” 28 gauge is needed as much as lug nuts on a birthday cake.
I have several 28s and they seem to do real well with my 3/4 ounce reloads