ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 28” gauge lengthen chambers to 3”
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

I ain't in no rush for a 3" 28ga. Pretty happy with what I can reload for lead and non-toxic shot for hunting. Cost of shells is a secondary concern. I just don't shoot enough to effect my wallet compared to other hunting costs.

But, the elephant in the room is what happens when you head to the range for a round of skeet or sporting and find out that lead is no longer allowed? You say that can't happen, but there are a few already that have gone down that path. And more will follow because of regulation and general environmental concerns.

All of a sudden that $2 a shot ammo is going to put a real crimp in everyone's shooting. Do I stop using my 28ga?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:00 am 
Limited Edition

saskbooknut wrote:
If you need more payload, get a 20 gauge.
If you really, really need more payload get a 12 gauge.
There is load data from BPI for 1 oz. 28 gauge in 2 3/4 hulls, but why ruin a good thing ?
The one advantage to 28 gauge is a very light gun. Why seek punishing recoil?
I just don't understand.

I just bought 8 boxes of Herters 1oz 28ga shells from Cabelas.
They are 1150 fps, so I don't know how the recoil will be (will be shooting some tomorrow)
I bought them because they were on sale for $7.49 a box and that is cheaper than I can buy 3/4 oz loads.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:06 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Dalee100 wrote:
I ain't in no rush for a 3" 28ga. Pretty happy with what I can reload for lead and non-toxic shot for hunting. Cost of shells is a secondary concern. I just don't shoot enough to effect my wallet compared to other hunting costs.

But, the elephant in the room is what happens when you head to the range for a round of skeet or sporting and find out that lead is no longer allowed

You use a 12 gauge.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

jusanothajoe wrote:
saskbooknut wrote:
If you need more payload, get a 20 gauge.
If you really, really need more payload get a 12 gauge.
There is load data from BPI for 1 oz. 28 gauge in 2 3/4 hulls, but why ruin a good thing ?
The one advantage to 28 gauge is a very light gun. Why seek punishing recoil?
I just don't understand.

I just bought 8 boxes of Herters 1oz 28ga shells from Cabelas.
They are 1150 fps, so I don't know how the recoil will be (will be shooting some tomorrow)
I bought them because they were on sale for $7.49 a box and that is cheaper than I can buy 3/4 oz loads.

First thing I did when I started using my 28ga was to buy a reloader and a flat of Rem target loads. Don't recall what the flat cost, somewhere around $10 a box I think. I load 3/4oz loads for my 28 and they are a lot less expensive that factory rounds, even at $7.49 a box. Rem STS case's stink but I can reload them a couple time's then chuck them. Bring's the cost per box way down! bad thing is my 28 is an old AyA and not sure I can shoot any not lead shot in it. Was told Bisthmus is alright but no idea where to get it. Most my shooting is at birds I plant for my dog's and at my age, not real sure how much longer I'll do that. The 28ga is my favorite anymore. If I want a 1oz load, I also load for my 16ga, another old AyA!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
Dalee100 wrote:

But, the elephant in the room is what happens when you head to the range for a round of skeet or sporting and find out that lead is no longer allowed

You use a 12 gauge.

Hi,

So nobody can ever afford to use a 28ga for a couple of rounds of sporting again? Not much of a solution is it.

It isn't always about turning in the best possible score.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:07 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Dalee100 wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
Dalee100 wrote:

You use a 12 gauge.

Hi,

So nobody can ever afford to use a 28ga for a couple of rounds of sporting again? Not much of a solution is it.

It isn't always about turning in the best possible score.

No one? :roll: Just how many thousands of clubs mandate so-called no-tox shot in the world? Steel 28 gauge shotshells are already available and have been for years.

Quote:
Federal Premium Field and Range Steel

Affordable steel for clays and birds.

Key Features

Gauge: 28
Shell Length: 2 3/4"
Shot Weight: 5/8 oz.
Shot Size: 6, 7
Muzzle Velocity: 1,350 FPS

Some feel that they can't afford to shoot 28 gauge or sporting clays at all: neither are bargains.

Internationally, the ISSF and FITASC does not ban lead shot and no such ban is contemplated. Clay pigeons do not have digestive systems with acidic stomachs.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:41 am 
Presentation Grade

Why would you load a 3" shell in a 28ga? Probably do better with a 2 3/4" 16ga with the same load and a bit heavier gun to control recoil.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:40 pm 
Crown Grade

hawglips wrote:
I enjoy carrying a light 28 ga loaded with extra heavy 1-1/2 or 1-5/8 oz TSS handloads for turkeys. The recoil isn't an issue when the adrenaline is surging and it's just one shot. You can't go any heavier than that anyway due to component availability limitations, so other than the potential for more muzzle velocity, I don't feel that there is any real practical advantage to a longer hull at present - even for turkeys.

You have really shown the potential of smaller gauge guns when loaded with htl shot. It's been 30 turkeys since I've killed one with a 12ga. Thanks Hal!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:13 pm 
Crown Grade

What's the downside of shooting 2-3/4" out of a 3" chamber?

'Cause people have been shooting 2-3/4" 12ga. out of 3" chambers Since about WWII. Nobody seems to be complaining that we go back to 2-3/4" 12ga chambers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 pm 
Crown Grade

More gun options is never a bad thing! At OGCA show a while back I looked at a Winchester model 59 in their experimental 14ga. Even had a box of shells.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:51 am 
Crown Grade

That Winchester experimental 14 ga. really panned out for shooters, didn't it. I wouldn't use that as an example of more options being a good thing.

(I had a 14 ga. muzzleloader that I really enjoyed and found it very useful on game as well as clay targets.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:27 am 
Diamond Grade

WELL I love my baby frame 28 gauge with 3/4 ounce loads for up to ruffled grouse size birds out to 40 yards. On a pheasant hunt I was gonna use a 20 with 1 oz at 1300 fps. My friend said I only brought my 28 gauge (with all chokes). I said MOD is my tightest 28 gauge choke, so I choke up IC & MOD. Hit 5 out of 6 with a WIN 1oz #6 load from the IC choke. All fell dead but the one I missed. The wind was 20-25 with gusts to 40mph, not the best day to hunt pheasant.

So I would say 2 3/4" is all that is needed in a 28 gauge gun. For me even in a 20 gauge but it is more of a multipurpose gauge than the 28 is. My multipurpose gun is the twelve gauge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:50 am 
Crown Grade

Like I often stated, those Win 1 oz. loads of 6s really work well on pheasants and late-season grouse (and pattern well, too) in all of the chokes at the proper distances. And the other shot sizes work just as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
28 gauge wrote:
Many said the 3 1/2 inch shell would not catch on,as the shell was a poor performer.Seems they were wrong.However ,if it were not for the mandated use of steel shot,I doubt the 3 1/3 inch 12 gauge would have come about or been a success .

Most people want their shells as cheap as popssible,so the 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge steel came into use.I dare say a 3 inch load of 12 gauge Bismuth would do as good as a 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch load of steel,but the cost is so much more for the Bismuth.

You are right,no one buys a 28 gauge because the shells are cheap.but human nature being human nature,people do try to buy the lowest cost they can get.LOL

I have not tried them ,but I dare say a 28 gauge 3 inch steel load will do better than a 2 3/4 inch steel load.Perhaps you could do a test on this and post your
P

What are your thoughts on the 3 inch 20 gauge shell?

The majority of the wild pheasants and turkeys I've taken over my lifetime has been with 3 inch 20 gauge loads.

Bismuth loads aren't that expensive: https://www.cabelas.com/product/KENT-BI ... 263462.uts

$2.19 a shell for 1-3/8 oz. of #5, but $3.29 for a 7/8 oz. 28 gauge load. Bismuth is half the price of some tungsten loads.

It isn't like decent steel loads are free. The bag limits often aren't all that generous, except for snow geese. For wild pheasants, bag limit of two per day, bismuth will cost you $2.50 a day more than using steel. Ten days of (successful) hunting, you have "saved" almost enough for a medium deep-dish pizza. :shock:

The Mossberg / Federal 3-1/2 inch 12 gauge killed off the 10 gauge, but has it sold more guns than ammo. People buy 3-1/2 inch 12 gauges because "well, you never know." More cost, more recoil, more noise . . . and you net an underwhelming extra 3 or 4 yards of range.

Vet bills, dog food, duck calls, waders, your decoy spread, a $40,000 truck to carry it all, perhaps a $15K 4-wheeler, a $2000 plastic shotgun, hunting licenses, etc. (perhaps a boat and trailer) . . . and we are actually worried about a dollar a shell? :lol: :lol: :lol:

This just ain't right.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:01 am 
Crown Grade

I am sorry to have to say,but there seem many who are worried about a$1.00 more a shell.Especially those who do not hunt most of the season.Just go to any place that sells ammunition and listen to the comments ,about the cost of shells.Many buy the cheaper quality shells over the cost of the better quality shells.Even if it is only a $1 or $2 cheaper.

Seems dollar poor and penny wise to me.LOL

As far as hunting shotguns go ,there is no real need now a days for any thing,but a 12 gauge.Shells are plentiful and can be had for use in very light weight guns with light loads for upland use or heavier guns and heavy loads for waterfowl hunting.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

For myself I am in favour of a 3 inch 28 gauge load.Many are not .Randy and Bob are two that are not in favour of them.I respect both these fellows ideas and opinions very much and always enjoy reading their comments and thoughts on different subjects and discussing things with them.

We usually end up agreeing to disagree on this matter and leave it at that.For all I know ,they could very well be right.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

« As far as hunting shotguns go ,there is no real need now a days for any thing,but a 12 gauge.Shells are plentiful and can be had for use in very light weight guns with light loads for upland use or heavier guns and heavy loads for waterfowl hunting. »

I disagree. As far as being able to handle various chores I agree with the versatility. But a 12 gage will handle like a heavy 12 gage. Whereas a lighter gun eg 20 or 28 gage in a scaled frame will handle much faster. This can be a significant advantage for certain birds and covers. Do you really want to hunt woodcock with a 12? I guess when all you got is a hammer everything is a nail as they say. For me the 20 gage in 3 in handles traditional 12 gage lead chores. 12 gage is strictly a no tox shell burner for me. 28 gage fills in the light end nicely and game farm pheasants with 1 oz loads. Light weight matters when you have to tromp long distances with a flushing dog and be ready in an instant. Got a good pointer? Sling your heavy 12 and walk around till you got a solid point and then take the gun off your shoulder to shoot. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:04 pm 
Crown Grade

While I too like the 28 gauge for field use,there are a number of light weight 12 gauge guns on the market today ,that weigh in at 6 pounds or a bit less.Benelli for excample,These guns are lighter than many of the 28 gauge guns I own at present time.28 gauge Model 12 6 pounds 12.8 ounces,Model 101 6 pounds 13.35 ounces,Model 23 6 pounds 6.55 ounces.Even my Ithaca Model 37 with 26 inch barrel weighs 5 pounds 15.2 ounces,which is darn close to 6 pounds.:)

So if one wants a light weight 12 gauge to carry all day in the field one of these guns would work great.Also there are light loads available in the 12 gauge for use in light weight guns.These loads will do everything a 3 inch 20 gauge or 16 gauge will do and do it as good or better.

For myself I just like to use something a bit different like the 28 gauge.:)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

I haven’t looked at the light 12 gage market. Mine are way more porky than 6 lbs except perhaps my 12 gage S X S which can be made lighter than a comparable size O/U. Basically no forearm and only half the receiver with tubes sitting on top instead of inside the action. I haven’t weighed that but it’s a real kicker even with normal target loads.

My 28 gage is a BR110 that weighs 5 lbs 14 oz in a steel receiver but you can get it in aluminum and weighs 5.2 lbs there. Can they really make a 12 gage O/U with 30 inch barrels that weighs under 6 pounds like my 28 gage steel receiver BR 110 does with 30 inch tubes? Doesn’t seem like there is that much weight lost in the receiver going to aluminum so must use short 12 gage barrels and hollow composite stock. Everything is scaled bigger in the 12 so the stock and forearm should weigh more if wood and the 30 inch 12 gage barrels should weigh more than 30 inch 28 gage barrels assuming similar wall thickness.

https://shootingsportsman.com/rizzini-b ... 2c54c6c0f6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:35 pm 
Crown Grade

I would say you are right in your thinking about wood weight.All I am saying is that there are light weight 12 gauge guns available on the market, that weigh in at six pounds,which are lighter than a lot (notice I said a lot,not all LOL)of 16,20 or 28 gauge guns currently in use in the field.

These six pound 12 gauge guns can be carried in the field ,on a long days walk quite easily and do as well or better than a 3 inch 20 gauge or 16 gauge gun.

I personally like the different gauges,but when one says you should use a 20 gauge instead of a 3 inch 28 gauge,my thoughts go to, why use the 20 gauge 3 inch ,just go to a 16 gauge,then why bother with the 16 gauge,just go to the 12 gauge and be done with it.The 12 gauge will do everything a 3 inch 20 gauge or a 16 gauge will and then some.

Just my thoughts,however.:)I still like the 28 gauge for field use myself.:)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

I see no real need for a 3" 28 gauge shell. I use the 2 3/4 B&P 28 gauge shells which make my 28 gauge preform pretty much like a 20 gauge gun. IMO I have no need for a 3" 28 gauge shell.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next