ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 28” gauge lengthen chambers to 3”
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:27 pm 
Field Grade

I sure did not mean to ruffle anybody feathers about only shooting 3/4 oz of shot in a 28 gauge, i am certainly not going out any time soon and buy a new 3 inch 28 gauge, but i will tell you this if you took all of my guns away today and only left me with my 28 gauge to shoot, i would be sending it out tomorrow to be re-chambered to the new 3 inch shell, for there are a lot times i need more shot than 3/4 oz and those 3 inch 1 oz or 1 1/16 just might get the job done, i ain't plum stupid.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:59 am 
Crown Grade

The market place will determine if a 3 inch 28 gauge is a "great idea" whose time has come. I am fine with that metric.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:39 am 
Crown Grade

I said that I currently don't want or need a 3" 28 ga. gun. 3/4 oz. loads work fine for the clay games and some birds for me. And incidentally, 1 oz. 2 3/4 lead loads pattern and work FINE and do the job on late season birds (bunnies, too) in my 28 ga. guns.

In the future, "nontox" regulations could change that. BUT., ….. that being said. what are anyone's experiences with the current crop of 3" 28 ga. loads with either lead or steel (or other nontox loadings)? Either patterning data or performance on game would be fine.

I am asking because the 28 ga, performance with these loads on game and the patterning may be less than ideal. Can anyone relate their experiences?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:21 am 
Crown Grade

I believe Tom Roster is doing that very testing and will be publishing his results in Shooting Sportsman Magazine and maybe others in near future. Stand by.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:24 am 
Crown Grade

….we shall see. But if there is "too much recoil" or "too little improvement", or "too much expense", it might just be gun/shell manufacturers looking for a way to expand markets. Remember, the 3" 20 gauge is currently available today!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:08 am 
Diamond Grade

With modern plastic wads there doesn’t seem to be much down side to a 3 in chamber. I’m surprised gun manufacturers don’t “just do it.” But now that I have my 2 and 3/4 inch 28 gage o/u it would have to be a fairly significant improvement for me to switch. With a 28 gage, 3 inch 20 gages, and 3 inch 12 gages already plus a few old 16 gages this upgrade is not on the short list. A 3 inch 410 will come first. Likely a lever gun with sights for turkey with tss and squirrels with regular shot. Winchester 28 gage already is one ounce so 1/16 ounce more not likely going to move the needle much. Now if you could have a 3 inch 12 gage and a 3 inch 28 gage and span everything from woodcock to geese that would be nice. Skip all the stuff in the middle!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:34 pm 
Field Grade

Well with Tom roster testing them he will give you the straight of it, weather it has merit or fake news, he came up with some good 20 gauge 3 inch steel loads for me 25 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:36 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oyeme wrote:
The market place will determine if a 3 inch 28 gauge is a "great idea" whose time has come. I am fine with that metric.

The marketplace has already spoken, loud and clear.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:04 am 
Diamond Grade

In the context of birds if no tox were mandated I’d buy itx or tss or whatever it’s called for my reloads instead of lead. No interest in 3” 28ga.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

I'm sitting here imagining humorous thoughts of listening to long ago arguments of hunters wondering why anyone would need a 2 3/4" shell. 2" and 2 1/2" shells kill birds and break targets just fine. They always have you know. Ain't no need for a longer shell with it's heavier recoil and extra cost............

A 3" chamber in no way precludes you from only shooting 2 3/4" shells in it if you choose to.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My '52 Studebaker gets me back and forth just fine. I have no need for a longer, er I mean better, er newer car...

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Dalee100 wrote:
Hi,

A 3" chamber in no way precludes you from only shooting 2 3/4" shells in it if you choose to.

That is of course an obvious truth. However, what often happens when you make a gauge capable of shooting much heavier and stouter payloads than it was originally designed to handle; is that the guns get heavier. The frames become more "robust" in all directions, the barrels and everything about the previously svelte 5 3/4 lb 28 gauge double, becomes a 6-6 1/2 lb. gun.
IMO, that is the real danger in routinely putting longer chambers into the small, and erstwhile petite 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:25 pm 
Field Grade

Yes i have got one of them 6 3/4 lb 28 gauge remington 1100 sporting with 27 inch barrels, this is what remington will put there 3 inch chamber in if they start to make them, super gun for clays and skeet, but i would never think about taking it afield.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oakisland wrote:
Yes i have got one of them 6 3/4 lb 28 gauge remington 1100 sporting with 27 inch barrels, this is what remington will put there 3 inch chamber in if they start to make them, super gun for clays and skeet, but i would never think about taking it afield.

My buddy with a bad shoulder had one and it was pure death on decoyed ducks with the old Remington Hevi-Shot.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oyeme wrote:
Dalee100 wrote:
Hi,

That is of course an obvious truth. However, what often happens when you make a gauge capable of shooting much heavier and stouter payloads than it was originally designed to handle; is that the guns get heavier. The frames become more "robust" in all directions, the barrels and everything about the previously svelte 5 3/4 lb 28 gauge double, becomes a 6-6 1/2 lb. gun.
IMO, that is the real danger in routinely putting longer chambers into the small, and erstwhile petite 28 gauge.

Hi,

Remingtons have always been too fat and portly for my tastes regardless of gauge or era.

You would be surprised what modern metallurgy can do. And many modern 28ga guns are already insanely, wonderfully light in weight. Been considering a TriStar Hunter Ex Lt O/U for my wife. It weighs in right around 5lbs. Say TriStar adds 1/2lbs of metal to soak up the extra beating a 3" chamber would bring. Is 5 1/2lbs too much? Or a S/A Viper Bronze at 5lbs?

You would still be able to buy a decent 28ga under the magical 6lbs mark quite easily.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:05 pm 
Field Grade

The reason i shoot the 6 3/4 lb remington is for the weight, i shoot at lease 3 rounds of clays a day when at the club, i wan't a heavy weight gun, but for a field gun i like ones about 5 1/2 lbs i am getting old. bob

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:18 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Dalee100 wrote:
You would be surprised what modern metallurgy can do.

Do you mean, profuse use of thermoplastics? :roll:

While we are at, can we have a moment of silence for the 3-1/2 inch 20 gauge? Not too many people seem to remember it.

The problem should be fairly obvious: flyweight guns with heavy payloads are unshootable or unenjoyable, take your pick. In the case of the 28 gauge, the ammo is already insultingly overpriced, extremely low-volume 3 inch shells (if you can find them), even more so.

Lightweight shotguns are nothing new at all. They sure weren't new seventy years ago with the Franchi AL-48, still far lighter than most 12, 20, and 28 gauges sold today.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

And yet we make 6lbs 20ga guns with 3" chambers. And I would think most 3 1/2" 12ga guns tend to fall in that "too light for payload" also. Yet they sell quite well.

Plastics are an amazing material that can more than strong enough for many applications. Didn't Winchester make a fiberglass wrapped barrel with alloy receiver, early '60 maybe? Lightweight rifle barrels made like that still exist today. As much as I like blued steel and walnut, over 30 years as a toolmaker has given me a first hand education in what modern materials chosen judiciously can do.

I find 1oz of lead shot in my 5 3/4lbs 28ga to very uncomfortable to shoot, but 7/8oz tolerable for a few hunting shots. But the issue ISN"T with heavyweight shot like lead. The issue is with any LIGHTER than lead shot and the need to use larger sizes to approach the effectiveness of lead. Even in a 3" hull, could you get 1oz of #4 steel into the hull? I'm unsure, (without doing the math), if you could get more than 3/4oz in that extra volume.

And when those no more lead shot regulations happen, (again see California), people will clamor for the cheapest shell they can get. And that WiLL be steel. But hey, as you told me once, "Shoot a 12ga". Because no one should ever want something different than the most common choice.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:12 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Dalee100 wrote:
Hi,

And yet we make 6lbs 20ga guns with 3" chambers. And I would think most 3 1/2" 12ga guns tend to fall in that "too light for payload" also. Yet they sell quite well.

The 3 inch 20 gauge has been around since 1954. After 65 years, it isn't remotely news. Six pound gas guns don't have objectionable recoil, for a couple of reasons. A typical 1185 fps 1-1/4 oz. lead load out of a 20 has a slower muzzle velocity than the std. 1330 fps 12 gauge load, and of course some 12 gauge loads are 1400, 1450, 1500 fps. Hunting wild pheasant or wild turkey is the opposite of high volume shooting.

As for the 12 gauge 3-1/2 inch guns, I have no idea how well they sell. 3-1/2 inch ammo doesn't sell well, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Randy,

I have 2, 20 Gauge 3 Inch guns and both are pretty heavy for 20 gauge guns. The old Savage 24 DL O/U weighs a lot more than 6 lbs, the 26" 20 gauge barrel is definitely made for shooting the 3" shells. The SRII 20/28 Combo gun is a little on the heavy side for a 20 gauge also, about 6 3/4 lbs with the 20 gauge barrels and Multi chokes.

I patterned the 20 gauge SRII and frankly the 3" shells do not pattern worth a darn out of it. The 2 3/4" shells do much better, I doubt I ever Turkey hunt with the SRII, the old 20 Savage 24 DL shoots a nice pattern out to about 45 yards, with either the 3" or the 2 3/4" shells, the old gun is a flat out Turkey killer. I do not own many of the modern guns, most of my guns are American Classics or German Best double guns, none of them have 3" chambers, most of the sub gauge guns were built for 2 1/2" shells. Even the 12 gauge guns are built for 2 3/4" shells, even the Pigeon Grade guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next