ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some 28 gauge gun selection advice
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:06 pm 
Utility Grade

After retina detachments in both eyes I am cleared to shoot again. It took two years, but my vision is almost as good as before the detachments. I am cleared for shooting. Have been shooting my 260 REM at 1000 yard matches without any issues.
I am a little gun shy to start shooting my 12 ga again. Just not worth the risk. So I am considering a 28 ga. I know the ammo is expensive and I would need to reload.
I will be using it for clays. Some trap and skeet. Sporting clays if I can find it.

Looking for any recommendations on a soft recoiling 28 ga. I am 6'1" so I would think it will be harder to get a 28 ga to fit.

For those with a 28 ga, is a O/U being heavier than an SA similar in recoil?

I would like an O/U, but is a semi auto a better choice?

David

Post subject: Re: Need some 28 gauge gun selection advice
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

A buddy of mine had shoulder surgery years ago. He bought a 28ga 1100 and still shoots that thing today. So if you want the mildest recoil, look at a heavier S/A 28ga like the 1100. But that evil thing will toss empties 3 counties over.

The CZ O/U's seem to be heavy for gauge as a rule, and should be pretty mild with standard 3/4oz target loads. And since he's now recovered from his surgery, my buddy shoots a Beretta SP1 with 30" tubes. I think it weights around 6 1/2lbs. It's a real kitten cat for recoil. And you can easily control the empties for reloading. I use a 5 3/4lbs CZ Ringneck and find the standard AAHS 3/4oz loads pretty easy on the shoulder as well.

And if you are going to reload, 11/16oz or even 1/2oz loads are there for the rolling up at home. So you could choose nearly any gun you wish.

Edit to add: I'm 6' 4" have no issue with fit of any 28ga I've shot. Well, besides the issues with being left-handed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

I never met a 28 ga I didn't like. It is the perfect balance in performance and weight. I like my F3 best, a full size gun with multiple barrel sets. The other I fine super is the Browning 725. I have only shot the field not a Sporting. I have also shot the Beretta A400. The giggle factor is off the charts for that one.

Don't sweat the ammo, it will be worth it as we all find a way.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:40 pm 
Field Grade

Increasing the weight of the shotgun is the easiest way to decrease felt recoil. You may want to consider a 12 gauge over/under with full length 28 gauge tubes. Since you will be reloading you can gain additional small reductions in recoil by loading 11/16 ounce at 1225 or so FPS. -Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

S/A will have less felt recoil,

I love my 28's but I load them down

if you are reloading,load 12 ga with 7/8 oz of shot at 1150 fps

that is why I reload, I get recoil "punchy", shooting factory loads

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:52 pm 
Crown Grade

The softest shooting 28 would be the 1100; but then finding those expensive empties can be tricky. Personally, I would get a 20 and reload 3/4oz (28 gauge level) and go have some fun.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

7lb 28ga o/u of your choice. I reload 3/4oz @ 1130fps and it is a pussycat yet busts clays well.

for trap....well gonna be tough with a 28.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

I’ve had an 1100 in 28ga and a couple 12ga O/Us that I’ve used Briley subgauge tubes in (both Sidekick 2.0 and full length). The added weight of a heavier receiver 12ga using 28ga tubes with 3/4oz loads makes recoil negligible. I’d put it on par with the 1100 in 28ga, maybe even less. The 1100 in 28ga has a smaller, lighter receiver than an 1100 in 12ga. Both are very light recoiling.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:20 am 
Crown Grade

Get a gun that feels comfortable for you. You may like light guns, but some prefer heavier for shooting. Remember, a heavier gun for "shoot a lot, carry a little", or a lighter gun for "carry a lot, shoot a little". Also, if you plan on reloading to save money (and for a 28 ga. you DO save $$!), think about whether an O/U or SXS is better than chasing hulls (and losing some) with a pump or auto is more your style.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:06 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for all the great information. If I had a 12 ga o/u the 28 ga tubes would be a great, but I do not have one.
My 12 ga is a Remington V3, so 7/8 oz reloads is not really an option as the minimum is 1 oz. plus I really do not want to take the risk with a 12 ga.
So I will look for a heavy o/u. The local GS has a tristar o/u in 28 ga. They also have a Beretta A400 in 28 ga. and a Benelli Sport II in 20 ga. The Benelli with a raised rib fit me the best.

I have considered 20 ga. o/u using 3/4 oz reloads. From reading about the 28 ga it seemed like the 28 ga had a more consistent pattern when compared to a light loaded 20 ga or 12 ga. Also everyone I read about seems to really enjoy the 28 ga.

And yes, trap will be a challenge with a 28 ga, but I ok with that. Just happy I am able to be out shooting.

David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 am 
Diamond Grade

DavidNY wrote:
Looking for any recommendations on a soft recoiling 28 ga. I am 6'1" so I would think it will be harder to get a 28 ga to fit.

For those with a 28 ga, is a O/U being heavier than an SA similar in recoil?

I would like an O/U, but is a semi auto a better choice?

David

I bought a Beretta SPI in 28ga. this spring and it fits me (6'2" 250lbs) well after adding a thicker recoil pad to increase the LOP a bit. I think the recoil is very light and I love the gun.

I am interested in eventually picking up a semiautomatic in 28ga and I can just imagine how light the recoil would feel.

I'm not at all recoil sensitive but in owning both O/U and semi-autos of the same gauges, I'd say the semi-autos' spread-out recoil impulse always seems to feel lighter and less violent to me. But if you're going to reload, an O/U sure makes it more convenient to keep track of your empties!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

DavidNY,

I know you're thinking 28, but here's an alternative thought:

Get a Remington 1100 Sporting in 20 gauge. They're polished blue, have beautiful wood, and a nice recoil pad.

I've got both a Sporting in 20 and 28 gauge and honestly, I can't tell the difference in recoil. The 20 gives you both more and cheaper options in terms of ammunition.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Beretta 686 12ga. and have a 30" 28ga barrel fitted to the 12ga. receiver and fore end . Will weigh appox. 8lb. . Recoil will be close to nothing and you will not have to chase hulls .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:52 pm 
Utility Grade

These are all great ideas. I really appreciate all the help.

My budget is $2,000 or less. Many of these seem to fit my budget.

Would like an o/u. The Beretta SP1 seems like a good fit. Will try to find one in my area.

A used Browning 725 28 ga in 30" or 32" looks like it might work. From what I have read they are a littler over 7 lbs.

The 20 ga is tempting as I would not need to reload and there are many more choices.

Yet for some reason I am drawn to the 28 ga, odd since I have not had a chance to try one.

David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

From your last post, you really want a 28 gauge. Buy one now, or you'll buy one later. The suggestion to have 28 gauge barrels fitted to a 12 gauge Beretta SP-1 is a good, but expensive one, since you don't already have the 12 gauge shotgun. Ditto, for my suggestion for a set of 28 gauge full-length tubes fitted to a 12 gauge. So, here's my new suggestion: buy a nice, used Beretta or Browning 12 gauge O/U and shoot it with 1150 - 1200 FPS. 3/4 ounce loads. It will not kick you hard, and you can later add the 28 gauge barrels or tubes. -Ed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

I recommend a baby frame SP1 (true 28ga size frame) or a Browning in 28ga (Citori will be on a 20ga frame but still fun to shoot.

I find a large difference in recoil between standard 20 and 28ga loads, all else being equal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you have an itch to own a 28ga. gun, go for it! I wanted one for many years. I always yearned for one of those little Franchi 48 AL 28ga. semi-autos. I put it off and put it off until it left my mind. Then, when I thought of it again and decided to buy one, they had already been discontinued for a few years.

The reason I did think of having one again is that I kept reading about the "magic" of the 28, and kept noticing the way 28 gauge shotgun owners spoke of the gauge with reverence.

A beautiful, svelte Beretta Silver Pigeon is my first 28ga. gun, and I can now agree that there is some magic in that little shotshell. Notice that I said the Beretta is my "first" 28... I'm thinking there will be more!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:42 pm 
Limited Edition

I have the A400 Xplor in 28 ga. I also have the Beretta 686 O/U in 28 ga. I love them both. I don't see much real difference in recoil for me. I shoot my AA reloads in my O/U and the throw away ammo in my semi-auto. Variety is the spice of life! I recommend either model. The great thing having those two is that the ergonomics are the same and give you the same sight picture whichever you choose to shoot. Good Luck! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:43 am 
Crown Grade

It is ALSO possible to buy an O/U with 2 sets of barrels, a 20 ga. and a 28 ga. These are available, and offer a decent option. Check all the gun makers to see who produces or carries them, as well as Joel Etchen and Cole's of Maine.

(They are also available on a "baby frame" which is smaller receiver and lighter as a 28 ga. and .410 combo.)

They are interesting possibilities, and would have saved me money in the long run.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you all again for the help.

Have narrowed the choices down to A400, 686 SP1 or 725.

Have not been able to find a Browning 725 in my area yet.

One last question... Is the Citori CXS 20/28 Gauge Combo to consider?

David