ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20g CZ Drake patterning low, choke advice
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello All,
I absolutely love the gun, BUT I finally got a round to patterning it and it shots almost 12" low at 30-35 yards using the stock chokes. Looking for advice on choke and ammo combos that might work better.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: 20g CZ Drake patterning low, choke advice
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Two things come to mind. Change your stock/mount so that the gun is shooting where you look. Don't try to aim it! If that doesn't work, Briley makes eccentric choke tubes that change POI.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:47 am 
Crown Grade

There are dealers that sell adhesive comb additions in various sizes so you can make the comb higher and correct your comb height problem.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Per both of your advice, I looked into fitting a shotgun (I am new to shooting). I am going to see about having a comb installed, and add some weight to the butt. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:13 am 
Crown Grade

If you will permit me to tell you a story. I have a safe full of SXS, DT guns. Not that they are better or anything, I subscribe to the old theory that says,"shoot one gun but if you can't shoot one gun, make them all as much alike as you can!" I have been tweaking shotgun stocks for more than 40 yrs. The gun that fits me the best, as luck would have it (go figure) is a SXS 11 ga.. muzzle loader kit gun. Everything I point it at seems to die! It shoots low if you sight down the barrels. I tried raising the sighting plain at first but now I just shoot it. It shoots where I look & is dead on target when I mount it! To put it in simple terms, it fits! Good luck with your CZ Drake, I think you are on the right track!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:39 am 
Crown Grade

Concur with the above advice. If both barrels are shooting to the same low point of aim, it's not the chokes, it's the gun fit. As a new shooter it would be helpful to get a professional evaluation of your gun mount from someone with extensive knowledge such as a gunfitter or shooting coach before you start whittling on wood. It could end up not being the gun's fault at all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

designbld,

Some real good advise given here already, however to me if the gun was purchased new I would return it for a different new gun. The gun should patten correctly right out of the box, when you mount your gun correctly. I recently picked up an old Crescent 16 gauge hammer gun and patterning it, the gun shoots perfect patterns from 25 to 45 yards and the gun is over 100 years old. Quality control on some of the modern guns is not exactly what it should be. I would return the gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

16 Gauge Crescent Hammer Gun that still shoots perfect patterns at over 100 years old.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor