ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repost: Briley Sidekick 2.0 12/28 Journey
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:23 am 
Tournament Grade

Reposted from Clays Forum - should have posted in Sub Gauge first.

Purchased a set of these for my Max Lite Sporting 0.740 bore.

Here are observations from my first outing.

Tubes weigh 9.2 oz. Within 1 gram of each other.

Advise using a gun cradle to securely hold barrels when installing: the first time took quite a bit of tapping with the small hammer provided.

Gun feels notably different, but didn't take long to get used to.

Purchased several types of 28 gauge ammunition to try vs commonly recommended AA's.
All were 3/4 oz #8 shot:
Fiocchi Exacta 1200 fps
B&P Competition One 1280 fps
Remington Clay & Field 1250 fps
Estate Super Sport Competition 1200 fps
Win AA 1200 fps

No failures to extract with any of the above: 150 rounds fired in total.

Put in IM/M choke tubes - tightest that I have.

Tried on typical Sporting Clays course with a mix of easy to intermediate presentations.
Weather that day was 35F and calm. All observations are qualitative only!

Very impressed overall with how good the breaks were. Quickly moved from close to intermediate distance targets to try and assess effectiveness. I have no prior experience with a 28 gauge, but shoot a lot of 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads.

All loads tried worked well on various typical presentations inside of ~30 yards. Smoked some targets. You definitely need to be more deliberate with centering, but not a huge challenge.

Shot quite a few rounds at a high climbing straightaway - waited to shoot when out there to 40+ yards. Decent breaks from most loads.

Focussed on a 40+ yard chandelle. This one challenged all loads and breaks were only partial at best, but were still breaks. The AA's, and Clay & Field's seemed to do better at this distance. When using the Estates I felt like I was shooting blanks (I later discovered that the shot quality in this load was not as nearly good as the others).

The IM choke "seemed" to do better on the longer targets. However I have read mixed comments from others about the effects of choke constriction on patterns with 28 gauge Sidekicks in a 12 gauge bore.

Originally I planned to pattern all of these different loads, but after this experience I may just focus on the targets and shoot!!!!!

The (reloadable) AA's are overall my top choice, but the Fiocchi's did just fine for all but the very longest targets. The B&P's did not seem significantly different than the Fiocchi's, Plan to pick up some Clay & Field in #7.5's just in case. YMMV.

Observations after removal and cleaning (150 rounds fired):
Getting tubes out was easier than putting them in. Cradle still essential IMHO.
Breach area dirty, but not too bad.
Outside of SideKicks was quite dirty and with some wet crud. Wouldn't want to store gun with tubes in it.
Barrel required a thorough scrubbing.
Notable ring of buildup evident present just in front of the end of the Sidekicks. Allowed to soak with ProShot - which seemed to dissolve it OK - followed by turbo brush. There may be a better solution to use - only had ProShot on hand.
Would not be a good idea to have to quickly take Sidekicks out and make another event.
After barrel scrubbed there was some shiny buildup (leading?) remaining just ahead of the tubes. This stuff was gone after my first 100 rounds of 12 gauge - barrel was then back to normal.

I did dissect the tested 28 gauge loads to study hulls, wads, and shot. Can post if there is interest.

Once again - very impressed overall with how well the Sidekick 2.0's 12/28 worked. Likely not the full equivalent of a dedicated 28 gauge gun or full length 28 gauge tubes for serious competition, but they enable one to use a 12 gauge gun for occasional sub gauge events with a minimal weight/dynamic change.

Post subject: Re: Repost: Briley Sidekick 2.0 12/28 Journey
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:55 am 
Tournament Grade

Well done report...interesting....thanks for posting!!

If we want to regain the respect of the world, we should begin by announcing that children have no business expressing opinions on anything except "Do you have enough room in the toes?" -Florence King

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

So your journey is similar to mine, however I'm running the 20 gauge sidekick 2.0 in my 692 Beretta.

They take a little to get used too, but man they are fun to shoot, and the overall feel of the gun did change, but not too much in a bad way.

I will admit I was able to shoot winchester white box just fine, no issues ejecting and I choked up to two Muller U3s and was able to smash everything close and everything far, I was shocked at how far I could break some targets, I'm used to 7/8th ounces anyways so that's that much of a big deal, but they guy I bought them from didn't really care for them.

I will admit they are dirty dirty dirty dirty! so I had to invest in a new bottle of Hoppes foaming bore cleaner, a buddy of mine swears by the stuff and says let it sit and soak for about 20 minutes and you'll be good to go.

I've read to stay away from the patterning board with them as you won't be "happy" with the results, per say, just hammer clays and go.

I'm shooting some sub gauge in a few more weeks at our state shoot, but overall, I'm happy with the purchase, and I agree 100% they are a nice alternative to shooting some sub gauge here and there.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:50 am 
Tournament Grade

gdub41,

Thanks for posting, and also for the tip about Hoppes Foaming Bore Cleaner.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:14 am 
Presentation Grade

Malcolm7 wrote:
gdub41,

Thanks for posting, and also for the tip about Hoppes Foaming Bore Cleaner.

I used that stuff last week after a shoot..........world class, just spray it in the barrels and they will basically fill with foam, then let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes, come back with a brush and or a bore snake and get to scrubbing. The ring that builds up from the blow back completely went away.

I had someone tell me that on more then on occasion he has seen guys bulge barrels from the side kicks because of the ring that builds up, and then obviously from the pressure and the constriction of that ring it causes barrels to bulge. I would think that you would need to really shoot them a ton, and then not clean your barrels ever.

A buddy of mine bought a full set of side kicks and he shoots them out of his 690 and he doesn't have any problems, he does however have to shoot the top barrel first on the .410 tubes as there isn't enough recoil to get the bottom inertia block moving.

I've thought about maybe getting a set of the 28's but overall I'm very happy with the 20 gauge tubes, and they are a blast too shoot. And it's nice having just one gun and being able to slam the tubes in and go.

If you are on the fence about them, buy them and or try them and I think you will be very happy and pleased with them.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Update from the original post:

Used the 28 gauge Sidekick 2.0's for my first FITASC subgauge tournament (regional event) this past weekend. I would rate the targets as average in difficulty, including several edgy crossers, a midi that was fairly high and long, and one bouncy rabbit.

The squad that I shot with all used either full length tubed 12 gauges or dedicated 28 gauge guns.

The load that I used was the AA 3/4 oz. #8's at 1200 fps. I had IM/M choke tubes in - if that matters.

Overall I was pleased with the breaks and didn't feel limited with the Sidekicks on these targets. For sure my misses (unfortunately) could not be blamed on the Sidekicks. At one peg the rabbit was going away edge fully on - requiring pattern density - but we all missed it. After the event, the squad was surprised that I was using Sidekicks.

Once again, I am NOT stating that the Sidekick 2.0's are equivalent to either full length tubes or dedicated 28 gauge guns, but so far they appear to be a reasonable alternative for targets of average difficulty. I really like being able to use the same 12 gauge gun that I am familiar with, and without a major change to weight/balance/handling.

With respect to cleanup, I found that the ring of buildup ahead of the tubes is far easier to remove as follows:
Stand the barrels muzzle up with the tubes still in.
Spray M-Pro 7 into the barrels and let soak.
Since the tubes are still in, I believe the solution is retained at the edge where the buildup is.
Tap the tubes out.
Scrub with bore brush. This only took 10 passes.

I would like to have a matched weight carrier barrel and tubes, but will stick with the Sidekick 2.0's for now.