ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 20 Gauge "do it all" gun / gauge
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

Looks like I just picked up another pre 13 L.C. Smith 20 gauge double gun, DT with 28" Barrels weighs about 5.8 lbs. This is just terrible, it will definitely cut into my 16 gauge hammer gun usage. Just terrible I tell ya. Post some pictures when I get them.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Oh no-say it ain't so! {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

oyeme,

If L.C. Smith would have engineered and produced a 28 gauge on a true 28 gauge frame, I would probably own a half dozen of them, I do own the modern Zabala made L.C. Smith 28 gauge. Got a hunch I am going to love this pre 13, 20 gauge with the 28" barrels, weighs 5.8 oz.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My 1926 L.C. Smith 20 gauge, SST, BT with 26" Barrels below the modern L.C. Smith 28 gauge made by Zabala for Marlin.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:34 pm 
Crown Grade

I always liked the pre 13 guns. I had a post 1913 20 ga. FWE that I had a bunch of custom work done to including restocking. I had a 20 gauge 30 inch set of barrels from an Ideal grade fitted to it and then had the chambers of the original 26 inch barrels, sleeved to 28 gauge.

In that way, I had a 20/28 gauge plus the 20 gauge with 30 inch barrels each with their own forend. Some nice game scene engraving and complete refinishing to include new case colors and it is a very handsome and fun gun. A friend had to have it so I sold it few years ago. In case anyone is wondering, 28 gauge shells in a 20 gauge bore gun work perfectly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

oyeme,

Sounds like you had a real nice Ideal grade gun, should have held on to the one! Sounds like a real nice Grouse and Woodcock gun, nice for Quail also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:01 am 
Crown Grade

The LC Smith 20 gauge A3 featured in 3 issues of the Double Gun Journal to me is the epitome of fine gun making in the US. Now, THAT'S a gun! I special ordered just those three issues so I could check it out thoroughly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:08 am 
Presentation Grade

oyeme,

I agree 100%, that is one fine L.C. Smith Best gun, however I have always liked the #5 gun a little better.
Just a matter of personal preference!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:32 am 
Utility Grade

So, coming from a different angle. Europe. Where several countries, including the one I live in, has limitations on how many guns you can own. Here (more specifically Scandinavia) most people own 12:s for the same reasons stated here by those much more knowledgable than me. However, at this point in life (late 40s), and with fairly limited choice when it comes to the number of guns I can own and/or afford, I have to be picky.

So as I am scaling down further and moving to 28 gauge (which is a choice bordering on insane over here) I've sold a 20 gauge and a rifle (mostly to afford the 28 gauge).

I've kept a 12 gauge sxs that my grandmother gave me when I started hunting but I don't expect it so see much use and so that's more about not being able to part from it (and it's a beautiful true sidelock with an english straight stock...).

So, sorry for being round about; The 20 gauge might not be the ultimate do it all but it certainly can do a lot of all of it and if I were in the even tighter position of having to choose only one shotgun (a position in which I've been and could certainly be in again) a 20 gauge would be my choice I think. I've used one on everything from Snipe to Ducks and the occasional misguided Canada goose.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:34 am 
Crown Grade

I have an Elsey 20 & a Elsey pre13, maybe 2. My steel barreled 10 ga. could be but but I haven't researched the the date it was made. The 20 is not pre13 but Pop bought it for me in 1961 for the exorbitant sun of $125. It instantly became my favorite gun & remains so today!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

Received some pictures of my just acquired 1910, L.C. Smith 20 gauge 00 double gun, I am quite happy that I was able to add this old gun to my L.C. Smith Collection. Will have the stocks and the breech work historically restored after using it to Grouse & Woodcock hunt this season. The gun is in good shape, however I like the guns I keep in my L.C. Smith collection to be pretty much factory original, so I restore them to that state. The old pre 13 double gun weighs 5.6 lbs, splinter fore-end, choked M/M, has 3 position safety and DT with 28" Armor Steel barrels.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:30 am 
Limited Edition

My dad hunted upland with an 11-48 12 ga. for about 25 years....then he got an 1100 lightweight in 20 gauge.
Rarely did he ever pull the 12 out again.
I've shot that 1100. Its a nice gun.
I've got an H&R in 20 ga. Kicked hard because the stock was a little shorter than it should've been, but I just put a Limbsaver on it and its great now. Fits me and lessens the recoil.
Short barrel (25") makes it a bit whippy, but I've learned to work with it.
I can hit with it almost as well as with the 1100.
...SO...for upland its a dream...but as a "do-all" gun, I think the shot charges might be a bit light as the pellets get bigger.
Still, you can get some heavy shot charges with 20 ga., but then you have to compromise the powder charge to make it fit.
Then there's the deer slug...20 ga. is .615". I shot a deer with a .30-30 when I was 14 and the bullet expanded to .630".
So the 20 isn't even as big as an expanded .30 cal round and the rifle round is far more efficient at dispatching medium/large game.
The 12 shoots a slug almost 3/4" diameter and its much heavier. The bigger slug will shock the animal more when it hits and will develop a better wound channel.
While I love my 20's, I think, as one gun to do it all, I'd rather stick with a 12 ga.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:34 am 
Limited Edition

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
oyeme,

If L.C. Smith would have engineered and produced a 28 gauge on a true 28 gauge frame, I would probably own a half dozen of them, I do own the modern Zabala made L.C. Smith 28 gauge. Got a hunch I am going to love this pre 13, 20 gauge with the 28" barrels, weighs 5.8 oz.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My 1926 L.C. Smith 20 gauge, SST, BT with 26" Barrels below the modern L.C. Smith 28 gauge made by Zabala for Marlin.

Nice picture Dave.
You have a wonderful collection. -b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

DeanMK,

Thanks for the nice complement sir, my gun collection is not large like many others, I am very picky about the guns I keep in my gun safe. They are all used every year for bird hunting, no safe Queens. The recently acquired 1910 20 gauge should be a nice Grouse and Woodcock gun, also hoping I can return to AZ for a few more Mearns Quail hunts with the gun, should be great for hunting those birds for sure. Plan on taking the newly acquired pre 13 20 gauge on the UP trip even before I have the gun restored. I want to make sure the gun works perfectly before having the stocks restored and the breech work cleaned up by removing the bluing.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man