ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help ATI Calvary over under 410
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 am 
Utility Grade

I own an ATI Calvary Over Under .410 shotgun originally purchased for squirrel and dove hunting. However I recently decided I wanted to try to take a turkey with it but have run into some choke issues. When purchased the manufacturer stated the shotgun utilized the mobil choke tube system however this is not true and will only use an inch long proprietary choke. I bought some TSS loads and fired it through the modified choke but after cleaning I noticed the choke tube was hard to get out of the gun. When shooting standard lead shot I never encountered this problem. The gun is rated for steel. Is it safe to put TSS loads through this firearm? Please help.

Post subject: Re: Need help ATI Calvary over under 410
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:28 am 
Crown Grade

"Manufacturer" may not have understood your question, English isn't their first language. A more likely explanation is that they told you what they thought you wanted to hear. It's not like you can hold them to anything. You are lucky that choke constriction makes very little difference with a .410. As for being safe to shoot TSS loads, I wouldn't consider it all that safe with any shell, you got what you paid for, or maybe a whole lot less. Consider the cost of the gun, the cost of an education. It will make a beautiful floor lamp, and never disappoint anyone else. Menards should put together a floor lamp conversion kit for guns like this, so you don't have to buy the parts individually.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:48 am 
Utility Grade

Partially true, funny that you feel that way. I really enjoy the gun and have shot many squirrels/doves with it and will continue to do so. I agree TSS loads in this gun isn’t a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

I won't tell you to or not to but I don't hesitate shooting steel, hw13, hw15 or TSS out of my calvary 28 gauge and I wouldn't hesitate shooting it out of a 410 model if I had one. I'd start with the IC tube first and go from there based on patterns.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the response. I totally understand how you feel about shooting steel/TSS through your 28 unfortunately after contacting ATI about the issue I was having they responded stating their 410 Calvary did not use U.S. standard chokes but all their other calibers do. That concerns me. Also it concerns me that they changed manufacturers who are now making the Calvary model. Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:42 am 
Crown Grade

ATI does not make ANYTHING! They buy stuff made by low bidders in 3rd world countries, what could possibly go wrong?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:58 am 
Tournament Grade

PaDavek wrote:
Thank you for the response. I totally understand how you feel about shooting steel/TSS through your 28 unfortunately after contacting ATI about the issue I was having they responded stating their 410 Calvary did not use U.S. standard chokes but all their other calibers do. That concerns me. Also it concerns me that they changed manufacturers who are now making the Calvary model. Your thoughts?

If you don't mind me asking, by your original post I am guess you used factory TSS, which manufacture's load did you buy? and I am guessing 13/16 oz load of 9 shot? Also have you measured constriction of you factory Mod tube? Lets be honest, these guns and accessories have been made to a certain price point and over all quality is at best.........There is a good chance you your Mod tube may be tighter then you think and made with poor steel........

Also did they by chance mention the thread pattern they use for the 410 when you talked to ATI? I found out from a buddy that the Tristar Viper g2's 410 tubes that were also suppose to be benelli/beretta Mobil threads, in fact ended up being slightly different. He ended up getting a threader and just slightly modified it to the correct mobil threading pattern and now they thread on just fine.

Now you have my curiosity about them switching manufactures for the Calvary. I know Koffs was making them for ATI but did you happen to find out who was now manufacturing them?

The last thing I would do is check gobbler nation and search for someone who has used the Calvary 410 for TSS shooting (think I have seen a post there about someone using one for turkey hunting) There is a good chance that Indian Creek or Sumtoy(sp?) etc. may have an extended tube that they manufacture for the Calvary 410 thread pattern.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am 
Field Grade

I have two ATI Cavalry O/Us in .410. They use the same chokes as the Stevens 555. I checked with Comp-n-choke and they verified this. The factory chokes only measure .92"in length. I also ordered out four extended chokes for the Cavalry .410 from them. One ATI weighs 5# 6oz and the other one weighs 5# 8oz. I use them for "crashing " through the brush in southern CA quail hunting. I use 3/8oz #11TSS(a Hawglips load) @ 1500fps and this works great. Until I purchased the ATI Cavalrys I had not seen a shotgun in this price range with automatic ejectors. The ATI has them, and they work.

Carl L.
Summer Quarters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:12 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a ATI crusader and a Tri Star setter they both take the Beretta Mobil chokes, I have to be very careful to keep the threads clean otherwise they do not screw in easily all the way. I have also purchased Carlson chokes and they work fine in these guns. I bought the Carlsons because one of the chokes yielded and I had to send the ATI off for warranty to get the choke tube removed. The choke would unscrew but would not come out of the barrel, that was shooting Win AA skeet loads, so I chose to buy better grades of chokes to keep the problem from happening again.
JW