ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Lowest Recoil Semi-Auto Shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 am 
Utility Grade

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong section.

My wife and I have been going target shooting for a while now but we do not fire shotguns. Mostly because we both had a terrible experience in the past with shoulder shattering recoil. LOL :shock:

I have convinced my wife that we were just shooting a high recoil gun...

So, we want to shoot them again and we were hoping this group can direct us toward a very low recoil semi. We will also shoot low velocity ammo, so any advice on that is also appreciated.

It is important to note that we live in Ontario Canada and my budget is around $2k.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Post subject: Re: Need Lowest Recoil Semi-Auto Shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:59 am 
Diamond Grade

Lots of good choices and you have a nice budget. I’m sure there are newer choices such as the Fabarms
from Italy and the new Turkish Retays but I’m not familiar with them.

The only semi I can comment on as to being very low recoil would be the 1100 Remington and the similar offerings. For that budget you could get a really nice American Classic and I have not have problems with low velocity 1oz loads with mine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you want a 12 gauge the Remington V3 would be a very good choice. If a sub gauge the TriStar viper G3 in 28 or .410 gauges get very favorable reviews. You could buy one of each with your budget. I'm gonna guess the wife would love the 28 gauge (you too).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:07 pm 
Crown Grade

ohio mike wrote:
If you want a 12 gauge the Remington V3 would be a very good choice. If a sub gauge the TriStar viper G3 in 28 or .410 gauges get very favorable reviews. You could buy one of each with your budget. I'm gonna guess the wife would love the 28 gauge (you too).

+1 To this suggestion. {hs#

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:06 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

lalji wrote:
It is important to note that we live in Ontario Canada and my budget is around $2k.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Whether intended or not, you're in the "sub-gauge forum." The softest-shooting 20 gauge on the market is the Remington 11-87.

http://randywakeman.com/

Last edited by RandyWakeman on Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:22 pm 
Crown Grade

One of the softest feeling shotguns ever shouldered, is the 28 ga Rem 1100.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ammo is important try B&P 7/8 .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:04 am 
Crown Grade

Guns that don't fit the shooter, kick like rented mules! As Randy said, a Remington 1187 in 20 gauge is a very good choice if it fits you. Also a Remington 1100 in 20 or 28 gauge would be a good choice, though the 28 will cost more in ammo. It is VERY doubtful that any one gun will fit you and your lady. Even if you two are near the same height and weight, you are built differently. One good thing about these Remington's is the low cost of furniture available for then. You could get 2 stocks and have one fitted to each of you. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:06 am 
Limited Edition

Get a Butler. Very soft shooter. No recoil because they rarely fire when you pull the trigger!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello All,

I did some research and I like the 1187, but I am unable to find this gun at any of the 3 online stores I checked.

What are your thoughts on this: https://alflahertys.com/stoeger-3000-synthetic/ ?

I think if I use low recoil ammo, it should be okay. Not sure about the quality though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:37 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

lalji wrote:
So, we want to shoot them again and we were hoping this group can direct us toward a very low recoil semi.

Remington V3 12 gauge, Remington 11-87 in anything, other gas guns (TriStar / Mossberg) get an honorable mention.

If you want a "very low recoil semi" it will be a gas gun, the heavier the better.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Also....it would be very helpful if you had some instruction, or at least the assistance of an experienced shooter to help you get started.

Your setup, stance, butt stock placement, head adjustments, etc. are important elements of comfortable and effective shotgun shooting.

Get some help....the more experienced the better....and ENJOY!

If we want to regain the respect of the world, we should begin by announcing that children have no business expressing opinions on anything except "Do you have enough room in the toes?" -Florence King

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Had my own 20ga 11-87 and shot my buddy's 28ga 1100 many times. Hard to say which one recoiled less, but either was about as light kicking as anything north of a .410.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic. Nice gas-operated semi-auto, that comes from the factory with a Ken Rucker Auto-Buster recoil reducer, a 4-way adjustable comb, and an adjustable butt plate. Retails for about $1100, but if you shop around, you might be able to pick one up for $900. It's a 12ga, but if you shoot 7/8oz or 1oz light target loads through it and you'll barely feel a thing.

My second best choice would be a Remington 1100 standard frame 20ga. They had a 12ga size receiver (heavier, so less recoil). They're harder to find, since they're discontinued. You can tell it's a standard receiver because the receivers are a little bigger and heavier than the current 1100 LT-20 and the serial number will end in an "X". If you can get this and get a Jack West stock (same stock that's on the 1100 Competition Synthetic), you'd have *THE* softest shooting semi-auto 20ga.

Last edited by mpolans on Wed May 06, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:03 am 
Field Grade

Stoeger makes good shotguns. They have a new offering in the M3020, which is a 20 gauge. You said you wanted soft recoil in a semi-auto. Anyway, your best bet to tame recoil is to go to a shop that has an abundance of shotguns and do a "fitting" Make sure the shotgun comes up to the shoulder with little to no adjustment when placing the cheek to comb. Once that is accomplished, look down the trough and focus on the front bead. If you have to adjust or shift a lot, even after opening and closing your eyes, find another shotgun that maintains the front bead. Then conduct a swing while focusing on the front bead. If you lose the front bead after closing and opening your eyes on a swing, try another shotgun. Yes, do this in the gun store and ensure you are pointing the muzzle in a safe direction (just good general gun safety), also ensure that it is fine with the sales person. The shotgun should come to the shoulder, front bead should be in focus as you drop your cheek to the comb, and also not be lost on the swing. Once this is all accomplished, ensure that you are in a proper stance. You should rock with the recoil as if you were dancing the best waltz with your favorite dancing partner. You should feel almost no recoil when everything comes together! Good luck and stay safe.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

You won't get softer than an A400 with kickoff system. Ugly, cheesy and expensive BUT ridiculously soft.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

lalji,

You might consider an old 1100 Rem or even a Model 58 in 20 gauge, use some light shells and they are about as low recoil as you are going to get, at any reasonable price. Heck my old Rem Model 58, 16 gauge with real light shells, did a great job also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Even has some cool old game scene engraving!

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:00 pm 
Crown Grade

As I understand it, your government has or soon will outlaw you subjects ownership of semi automatic shotguns. I think your best bet would be to try a fairly heavy weight 12 gauge pump shotgun. Something similar to a Remington 870. The 12 gauge will weigh more than a 20 gauge and will therefore recoil less with one ounce or lighter loads. Lite recoil 12 gauge loads are easy to find and in a heavy gun that fits the shooter should be quite comfortable. Poor fit and poor shooting stance/hold is the worst cause of felt recoil. It would be pretty unusual for one gun to fit both a man and his wife. The genders are built differently, you don't both wear the same pants or shirts do you? If one gun is going to fit both a husband and his wife, especially if they are recoil sensitive, then the chances are the same bra will fit them both well also.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Give this some thought--It is hard for a woman and a man to use the same gun and get the same experience in fit and thus also in recoil.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Since making this post, our wise and great leader Justin Trudeau has outlawed/banned a massive list of weapons! Shotguns are on that list...

So, I have no choice but to wait till the dust settles before making my purchase if I even make one.

I also need to figure out what to do with all of my other weapons that are now banned and illegal. :-(

Thank you and I appreciate all of the advice, if gun ownership becomes legal in Canada, I will be sure to revisit.