ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merkel 147 EL sxs - Pricing Guidance Please
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 pm 
Field Grade

I’ve been on the hunt for a 20 or 28ga S/S for a while now and found a Merkel 147EL sxs at my LGS. It had beautiful wood, 20ga with an English stock (I typically use prince of Wales) but this shotgun felt incredible.

It was on consignment and the owner/friend told me he wanted too much for it at $6,000 and the owner of the gun isn’t willing to budge. I don’t know the age of the gun and the only flaw was that it has some slight toning on the receiver, which I would think would wipe off easily when treated properly. Not a single scratch on the wood or bluing.

I came home and started searching Merkels and couldn't find much in that model under 7-8k (used). Is $6k too much? I don’t want to be an idiot about spending too much but IMO I’m willing to pay a little more so I can handle & inspect the gun.

As always, your thought & suggestions are appreciated.

Sammie

Post subject: Re: Merkel 147 EL sxs - Pricing Guidance Please
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sammie,
Sent you a PM
Thanks,
Saltydog055

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Merkels are over-priced average shotguns w/ hideous Germanic engraving and I can say that b/c I had one. Got rid of it b/c it doubled and the service center blamed me. It was a 2 trigger gun.

Jeez Louise.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Sammieiii wrote:

I’ve been on the hunt for a 20 or 28ga S/S for a while now and found a Merkel 147EL sxs at my LGS.

It was on consignment and the owner/friend told me he wanted too much for it at $6,000 and the owner of the gun isn’t willing to budge.

Is $6k too much ?

You might want to consider that your GS owner/friend's view on the $6K overprice as an opinion, and not necessarily a reflection of the true market value outside the area of his experience.

The true value is how much somebody has paid for a like 20ga RECENTLY, not whenever, and certainly not an asking/unsold price - so you might want to surf the WWW for recently sold 147 EL's in like condition.

Another thing to keep in mind is that lust conquers all...…… :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a 147 EL 20 Ga. bought it used 2nd owner, great condition ,from whoever the big Alabama importer was at the time can’t remember the name. great gun, IMO, but I’m ok with those Germanic styles and a little extra weight over svelte, I feel like I might break it,Italian noodle weight guns,just me.
$6,000 seems a tad high,unless it is really something as a looker. I prob paid $4,500 15 years ago, have stored it correctly and oiled it regularly, but prob haven’t shot it in 5+ years. I’d say it’s more like a $5,000 today maybe a small percentage more.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

But there are a few used sxs to be had at the $5,000 range that I would likely choose over it.