ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 ga. inertia
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:20 am 
Presentation Grade

Does any gun maker , besides Beretta and benelli , make an inertia powered semi in 28 gauge ?

Post subject: Re: 28 ga. inertia
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Don't know about the Benelli but the Beretta A400, 28ga is gas operated not inertia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Benelli offers the Ethos and the Ultralight, both of which are inertia driven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:33 pm 
Field Grade

Stoeger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:28 pm 
Limited Edition

There may still be a few of the Franchi 48 AL in 28 gauge around...long action recoil operation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

Wood Duck,

The modern 28 gauge L.C. Smith double gun has a mechanical SST and it works perfectly, have taken a few Woodies with it in the last couple seasons. The gun shoots tight patterns and puts the Ducks down quite well. I have to use the C/IC chokes when gunning Grouse & Woodcock with her.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Modern 28 gauge L.C. Smith on top, 1926 L.C. Smith 20 gauge on the bottom, both with SST.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:01 am 
Crown Grade

Why would anyone even want an autoloader (or even a pump) in 28 ga. (and that includes the .410, as well)? They toss the valuable and reloadable empties far and wide from the gun, and finding them, even on a range when in a squad for skeet, sporting clays, etc., is a real PITA.

Shells cost around $10 a box, but good reloads with best quality components only cost you around $4 a box!

Sorry, guys, but I owned a Remington 1100, briefly. Nice, pretty gun, reliable, worked very well, special Briley choke tubes, patterned beautifully, killed birds well, etc. but I quickly sold it for it throwing those precious hulls into the next county!

A decent SXS or an O/U is a far better choice!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:12 am 
Diamond Grade

Hunting. I have a 28 gage ou. I mainly use it to hunt. Have not reloaded one 28 gage shell and toss the empty hulls in the dumpster at the pheasant club. If you are a low volume shooter, reloading saves zero money as you never payoff the initial cost of the equipment. I also haven’t loaded a 12 gage shell in over 12 years and I have an older MEC 9000 progressive press. For me, I don’t enjoy reloading. I did it only to save money at the volume I was shooting. Now I just buy inexpensive 12 gage target loads and toss the hulls.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:50 am 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

If you shoot a lot of clays, BobK is definitely correct, however if you use your 28 gauge gun for mostly hunting Patiently Obvious is also correct. In fact if you own Classic American or Best Euro double guns you might want to purchase your RST or Poly SpredR shells from Lion County Supply as I do, and get free ship right to your cabin in the back woods.

I got rid of my MEC loader when RST came out with their shells, sure it's cheaper to roll your own, however my time is valuable to me, and sitting at a reloader is not where I want to be. For the little bit of money I spend each year on my 16 & 28 gauge hunting shells, I would much rather purchase my shells.
Now if I was still shooting a lot of Clays each week, I would still have to reload.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:03 am 
Diamond Grade

BobK wrote:
Why would anyone even want an autoloader (or even a pump) in 28 ga. (and that includes the .410, as well)? They toss the valuable and reloadable empties far and wide from the gun, and finding them, even on a range when in a squad for skeet, sporting clays, etc., is a real PITA.

Shells cost around $10 a box, but good reloads with best quality components only cost you around $4 a box!

Sorry, guys, but I owned a Remington 1100, briefly. Nice, pretty gun, reliable, worked very well, special Briley choke tubes, patterned beautifully, killed birds well, etc. but I quickly sold it for it throwing those precious hulls into the next county!

A decent SXS or an O/U is a far better choice!

I shot a limit of doves, Sept 1 with a Rem 1100 28 ga. Lost a few hulls, but I have 1000s in inventory. Loosing a few hulls is not a big deal to me.
I have a Beretta O/U 28 also. I use both for doves and like both. Also have the same pair in 410.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My buddy had an 1100 Sporting 28 that tossed empties farther than any gun I've ever seen, around 20 feet or so. He doesn't reload and didn't chase down the hulls, usually Winchester AAs, but some other guys at the club sure did.

Post subject: 28 ga. inertia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes that 1100 does toss the 28s and 410s into the neighboring township. That why I reload “once and done” hulls for those guns. They are what they are

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:40 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

My 1100 28 ga has been modified to retain the hull when single loaded. With a round in the magazine, it only throws the first one out. That means for a round of Skeet, only four hulls go flying. That saves a lot of looking and picking up.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use a Franchi 48 AL 28ga long-recoil semi-auto for grouse hunting. I don't worry too much about losing hulls, although I do try to retrieve the few of them I expend. I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon 28ga. for clay targets.

If my budget allowed it, I would pick up an inertia operated 28ga for field use. I love the Franchi 48 AL, but it would be nice to have another 28ga shotgun with a different action type!