ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 ga OU chokes?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:35 pm 
Field Grade

I'm in the process of purchasing an over/under in 28ga for grouse and woodcock. I'm just wondering what choke configurations people are using in their 28s?

Post subject: Re: 28 ga OU chokes?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Flyrod,

This all depends on the 28 gauge gun I am using, my modern L.C. Smith gun shoots very tight patterns so I use an IC choke in the 1st barrel and a M choke in the 2nd, even with my RST or Poly SpredR's.

However my Savage Stevens 555 does not shoot quite as tight of pattern and I use C in the under Barrel and IC in the over, most times shooting the B&P shells that make real nice patterns.

With my 20 gauge #2 L.C. Smith that has been sleeved for 28 gauge, I use the Briley special made SKT1 in the 1st barrel and SKT2 under the back trigger, shooting RST or Poly SpredR's this throws a real nice pattern for both Grouse and Woodcock gunning.

Each gun will preform slightly differently, depending on the shells you choose. Test pattern your gun with the chokes and shells to see what kind of pattern you are going to get.

Good luck with your new 28 gauge gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:45 am 
Crown Grade

Depends on what you are doing with the gun. For Skeet, for example, Cylinder, Skeet or IC will work OK. For Sporting Clays, IC and Mod work fine for practice, but some "tournament" courses will require tighter chokes due to distance to the targets.

For hunting, depends on what type of game, pointing or flushing dogs, and the "average" distance you expect to be shooting the birds/bunnies/targets.

As Dave said, pattern the chokes and shells you wil be using at the average distance you will be using them for the best results.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

If shooting over pointers for grouse and woodcock ic and cyl. If grouse are busting out farther I will put the light mod in. I have yet to go tighter than this in the grouse cover. The light mod is really becoming a favorite choke for us.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:13 pm 
Field Grade

I only shoot trap with my 28 gauge UL tubes. I use IM or LF chokes. Most of my friends with sub gauge shotguns or tubes use Mod chokes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

First thing is as you go smaller in gauge, choke becomes less effective -- meaning constriction has less overall impact than it does in a 12 or even 20. That said, I have 2 barrels for my 28; one is IC/M and the other is M/F. I think it's really hard to beat the IC/M for all-around chokes in a 28ga field gun. However, there are times I wish it was Sk/Sk (quail in thick cover) and others I wish it were LM/M (decoy ducks with bismuth), and I might thinwall the M/F barrel for that reason.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Jack,

Very good analysis sir, right on the money!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:47 am 
Limited Edition

JacksBack wrote:
First thing is as you go smaller in gauge, choke becomes less effective -- meaning constriction has less overall impact than it does in a 12 or even 20.

Not to skew the thread, but I've never heard that before.
Could you please expound on why that happens?
Feel free to take this to PM, if you feel its more appropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:44 am 
Crown Grade

I don't know - but it's not really strange that LESS constriction is required to give the same degree of choke as the bore size becomes smaller. If you don't believe me, check out the choke manufacturer's websites.

And I have patterned a lot of guns, from 12 ga. to 28 ga., and patterns do tighten up as you go from cylinder all the way up to full, even in the smaller gauges. And done right, you have to count holes to get good pattern percentages, boring as hell doing it, but it does give accurate results.

Incidentally, for early season grouse, my favorite choke tubes in my 28 ga. SXS are skeet and light mod.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:20 am 
Crown Grade

For upland bird hunting I use IC/Mod in my DeHaan 28 ga SXS. for Skeet, I choke it SK/SK. For sporting clays and 5 stand I use IC/Mod or SK/LtMod depending in the course.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DeanMk wrote:
JacksBack wrote:
First thing is as you go smaller in gauge, choke becomes less effective -- meaning constriction has less overall impact than it does in a 12 or even 20.

Not to skew the thread, but I've never heard that before.
Could you please expound on why that happens?
Feel free to take this to PM, if you feel its more appropriate.

Surface area of shot column compared to total volume of shot; and so in turn, a higher percentage of the total number of pellets get deformed as you go smaller in gauge.* (Wads help, but don't eliminate.) Deformed pellets don't fly according to conventional ballistics since they are now irregular spheres, and will skew off-line toward whatever side the defect happens to be on; and also decelerate a lot faster lagging the pack. This in turn eliminates any input the "choke" imparted toward "keeping it with the rest of the pack" as they head downrange.

*This is also why most target 12 bore guns have larger than "standard" bores like .735 or .740 -- and equally why the ATA added maximum bore diameter rules back in the 70's (Folks had discovered this benefit and were over-boring 12 gauge guns to nearly 10 gauge spec...)

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Makes perfect sense now.
Thank you Jack. Your efforts are much appreciated. -b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:18 am 
Diamond Grade

I hunt doves a lot with 28 ga. If over under, I use mod/LM. If semi auto, Mod.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:59 am 
Diamond Grade

Flyfrod wrote:
I'm in the process of purchasing an over/under in 28ga for grouse and woodcock. I'm just wondering what choke configurations people are using in their 28s?

For early season grouse when woodcock also open, I use CYL & IC chokes. CYL for 15-25 yards & IC for the second shot which is usually 20-35 yards. AA28-#8 works great for close range like these. If or when your shots average 10 yards more, IC & Lt-Mod work great. And now AA28-#7.5 works great for this distance. Also figure in the SKEET choke which is made for 18-25 shots and could be your first shot coke if that distance is better for your shooting. For only grouse I like #7.5 shot and then for late season #7 or #6 shot works nice. If #6 shot is needed the Super X one ounce #6 is had to beat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

JacksBack wrote:
First thing is as you go smaller in gauge, choke becomes less effective -- meaning constriction has less overall impact than it does in a 12 or even 20. That said, I have 2 barrels for my 28; one is IC/M and the other is M/F. I think it's really hard to beat the IC/M for all-around chokes in a 28ga field gun. However, there are times I wish it was Sk/Sk (quail in thick cover) and others I wish it were LM/M (decoy ducks with bismuth), and I might thinwall the M/F barrel for that reason.

My primary guns are 410 and 28 gauge and I have 6 chokes for each one from Skt to Mod and each patterns differently. Since choke effects the out side pellets, chokes selection becomes more crucial with smaller gauges than larger gauges. May be were saying the same thing, or not?
My choke sets stop at Mod because it works great at 45 yards in the 410/28. If I need to shoot from 50 and out I use a 20 or 12 gauge.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:11 pm 
Field Grade

I have Light Mod and Improved Cylinder carlson extended in a 555 and now want something similar in the CZ bobwhite - the only light mod I can find for a cz is an extended choke like I have in O/U. the SXS seems silly with extended chokes, or am I being too stodgy?