ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28ga Autoload Choices
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:07 am 
Field Grade

Hi, I'm the new guy.

I did not grow up hunting and have only gotten into winged critters and some clays, more so just to shoot at something. I'm using an SBE3 12ga for duck, an older Citori for quail and dove.

This year I did my first Turkey hunt carrying the SBE3 on an unseasonably hot 90° day; must have walked a hundred miles :roll: a lot anyway. And when I finally did take my shot at the dude with the red neck; I couldn't see well enough to tell a hen from a tom.

BTW: I'm 66, a little overweight & out of shape, half deaf from working around heavy equipment, and @ age 45 my vision went from 20:20 to half blind, only to get worse as time passes. That said my new go to password is "I ain't dead yet"!

So: I'm looking for a lightweight 28ga semi that will be next year's with a scope. I could see well enough to kill a bird this year, but because of poor eyesight it may have more luck than skill. Technically with a three bird limit in SC I am going to only need 3 shots in it. That's why I don't need high end Benelli or Beretta and am looking at second and maybe 3rd tier guns. But if I really like it I might take into a dove field...

I am looking at:
Charles Daly...I have heard they might not be as smooth operating
Tri-Star Viper/ Viper G2
Pointer phenom
Mossberg SA28
Remington 1100...I do have an 11-87 Special Purpose but its nor my favorite
Last but not least the B&B's Ethos & A400 at way more than I want to spend

Thanks in advance for your input

Jim

Post subject: Re: 28ga Autoload Choices
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:25 pm 
Limited Edition

My Beretta A400 Xplor 28ga has been durable and reliable so far if it is one you can afford. That would be my first choice. I have a TriStar Viper 28ga that works just fine. So far it has been great, but I dont' have enough shots through it yet to speak on durability. The TriStar is certainly cheaper at about half the price. The TriStar doesn't have as good a trigger pull as the Beretta if that matters to you. Both are easy to disassemble and clean.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:30 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Just my personal thoughts, but I would buy a 20 gauge. Get one that can shoot 2 3/4" or 3" shells.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:59 pm 
Limited Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP79yWZopA8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:53 am 
Field Grade

MilkMaster & noweil...I've got a 20 already and I think a 28 would be cool.Yep I said that!. MM thanks for the Video...Tri Star is probably leading the pack...anyone hear anything about the Pointer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:18 am 
Presentation Grade

Jim, 28's are cool, you're right. But that 1100 you have on your list of candidates is not light weight. At least, mine is not. Good gun, but chunky.

You from Pawleys Island? That's God's Country!

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:29 am 
Field Grade

Kannoncocker wrote:
Jim, 28's are cool, you're right. But that 1100 you have on your list of candidates is not light weight. At least, mine is not. Good gun, but chunky.

Tru dat. Been here 35 yrs. wish all them dang yankees would stay at home...did i mention i'm from CT?

The 1100 is on the list because they have a 28, unless someone said there was nothin finer in carolina...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

PawleysJim wrote:
Kannoncocker wrote:

Tru dat. Been here 35 yrs. wish all them dang yankees would stay at home...did i mention i'm from CT?

The 1100 is on the list because they have a 28, unless someone said there was nothin finer in carolina...

There certainly are finer guns, but finer doesn't necessarily mean better. I use mine mostly on clay birds, and rarely on quail. I don't enjoy walking with it, but it is very good when shooting a lot, as with skeet.

Do me a favor and run down to Charleston for dinner, and report back in detail!

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:32 pm 
Field Grade

I own a Franchi al48 in 28 gauge and really like it. It weighs in at a little over 5 lbs. I can’t jam it even with reloads. It’s a proven design that has been around for decades. You can spend more but I’m not sure you’ll get a better ultra lightweight hunting gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 am 
Field Grade

Mr. Pie,

Looking at pictures of the Franchi al48, it looks like I would have to drill & tap if I want to add a scope. Am I correct?

thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:12 am 
Presentation Grade

I bought an A400 used for $900. If you can find a good deal on one get it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:23 pm 
Field Grade

The only 28 gauge semi-auto I own is the Beretta A400 and it has been great! Skeet field, sporting clays, ruffed grouse and even on ducks ( close range over the decoys). I'm very pleased with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:46 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for all the feedback...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like my 28 gauge Remington 1100, but as pointed out, at least in Sporting Grade, it is not very light.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:45 am 
Field Grade

As some of you have seen in the discussion on #28gaugesociety, I have an A400 in the works...thanks for all the input.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:59 pm 
Field Grade

Finally purchased a 28ga Benelli Ultralight and wow what a sweet little gun check em out but they are pricey!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:19 pm 
Field Grade

As Tuna & Wahoo are running, my Saturdays are booked up, my business is essential, I have not fitted the A400 explor yet tho I have been watching a lot of YouTube lately. If I mount the gun with all the boxes checked i feel like a pretzel. To get a proper view down the rib I feel like i'm ducking and twisting my head. My assumption is that I need to drop the comb maybe more than just some. 1/4' = 1' right? Then mess with the cast so that my head is more perpendicular and upright?

The next question is about balance. Do you feel that a balanced gun is just a little heavier in the butt if you find the center point between your 2 hands?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

I like pie wrote:
I own a Franchi al48 in 28 gauge and really like it. It weighs in at a little over 5 lbs. I can’t jam it even with reloads. It’s a proven design that has been around for decades. You can spend more but I’m not sure you’ll get a better ultra lightweight hunting gun.

I'll go along with this... I have a 48 AL in 20ga. and I pick up a 28ga. model at the gunshop this week. If lightweight is what you want, you can't beat this... about 5.5 lbs.

Since it would be used (or, if you're lucky and find one, new-old-stock) the price will be reasonable.

A great second choice would be the Viper G2. I have one in .410 and it has been flawless and fun. It has been shot a lot at the skeet club and still looks and acts like new.

Bob

Last edited by desmobob on Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:44 pm 
Field Grade

PawleysJim wrote:
As Tuna & Wahoo are running, my Saturdays are booked up, my business is essential, I have not fitted the A400 explor yet tho I have been watching a lot of YouTube lately. If I mount the gun with all the boxes checked i feel like a pretzel. To get a proper view down the rib I feel like i'm ducking and twisting my head. My assumption is that I need to drop the comb maybe more than just some. 1/4' = 1' right? Then mess with the cast so that my head is more perpendicular and upright?

The next question is about balance. Do you feel that a balanced gun is just a little heavier in the butt if you find the center point between your 2 hands?

So instead of prepping for tomorrow's hurricane, I messed around with the cast & drop today. I doubled up both the forward shims and aft plates. It really feels much better. My eyes are not seeing as much of the rib and they are almost level. I found the center-point between both hands while mounted and at that point it was very barrel heavy. To get it balance neutral I would have needed 18 oz of lead. that defeats the purpose of buying a lighter gun. So I put 6 oz in the stock and will try that.

I will probably set up a visit to a gun fitter just to make sure I have not made things fubar.