ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Full Length Tubes or Sidekicks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:35 am 
Field Grade

Would like to start shooting 20 gauge in Sporting Clays. My usual gun is a Beretta Onyx w/30" barrels. I have a Beretta 686 Onyx w/28" barrels that I plan on using for 20 gauge.

Debating on getting full length tubes or Briley Sidekicks for it.

Post subject: Re: Full Length Tubes or Sidekicks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

With 20ga, the performance will be about the same. If you use Sidekicks, your barrels will likely get dirty in front of the Sidekicks...you'll probably want to run a Tico tool or swab it right quick before shooting 12ga through it...this won't be a problem with full length. Before using full length tubes, you'll probably want to swab the barrel to knock the crust out. The Sidekicks will be lighter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Full length tubes will give you the better pattern especially on the longer targets as the sidekicks will start losing its pattern after about 30+ yards. I speak from experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:49 pm 
Crown Grade

I tried the sidekicks and was not happy with them. They got filthy in less than 200 rounds.
Were a bear to get in and out. Sent them back to Briley twice, on my nickel.
Finally I ask them to cut me a trade in deal in for full length Companion 20 ga tubes, and they did.
The have performed extremely well and I'm happy!

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:31 pm 
Field Grade

I really like my Briley full length tubes in my Browning 725.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:33 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for all the replies, but I think I got the better half talked into a 20/28 gauge Beretta. But I gotta survive my surgery next Monday (7/6) first.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

I have a #2 L.C. Smith 20 gauge that Briley fully sleeved for 28 gauge years ago. They did a fantastic job, ejectors and all, the gun is one of my best Grouse and Woodcock guns. Remember however with full length sleeves you are adding additional weight to your gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1898 L.C. Smith #2 20 gauge fully sleeved by Briley for 28 gauge. Serious little bird gun for sure.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:09 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a set of side kicks for my 692, the 2.0's......I really like them, they feel good in the gun and yes to echo what was said earlier.......dirty dirty dirty dirty, use Hoppes foaming bore cleaner and a good phosphur bronze brush and scrub scrub scrub scrub away, you have to get that ring out, or you will at some point run the major risk of bulging a barrel.

My future includes a 20/28 gauge Cole's sporting custom so that all I have to do is just change barrels and go. But in the meantime, the tube set will have to suffice.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

gdub41,

The 28/20 combo guns are some of my favorite clays guns, had a Citori combo gun for many many years, one of the best clays guns I ever owned, no problems what so ever. I now have a Silver Reserve II that is providing quality shooting, especially with the 28 gauge barrels.

You maybe able to get Beretta to supply you with a set of 20 gauge
Barrels for the gun you own now. Might want to check this out before purchasing another gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Full length absolutely give better patterns. And they weigh more, the light-weights will add around 12-14 ounces total to your barrel. For some, the change to the swing is too much.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shooting for fun, sidekicks are fine. Shooting to win, full length tubes are mandatory.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have experience with 2 different tube sets, both full length Brileys. The sets (20, 28, &.410) in my Citori skeet gun has been used for over 30 years. I like them. The other set is in a Caesar Guerini 20 ga, so 28 and .410. I like them too. So personally I would not go backwards into Sidekicks, but that's me. Full length will cost more, but for you, I think it will be an investment that will not frustrate you in the long run. You know, the cleaning and pattern issues others have mentioned. And I never notice the weight change because I don't shoot 12 ga out of that gun. For skeet, no need!

Another point of info, if you reload for the 20 ga., You'll need to watch the pressures of your loads. This is because the 20 ga tubes in a 12 ga are thin in the chambers and have been known to crack with high pressure loads. I know Briley wants the loads under 10K psi as I recall. Not hard to manage. Just no Green Dot / International type loads. That's what Briley told a friend when he sent a tube in to be fixed. You'll find a number of recipes for Alliant 20/28 powder, and I think Hodgdon Universal too, that will keep your tubes safe. Remember, over 30 years on mine and that was double use with the 20's in 12 ga events.

Have fun with whatever you get!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:38 am 
Presentation Grade

I get why guys get the full length tubes after shooting the side kicks for a few events now, however I just can't choke down that price, I'd rather as mentioned get a 20/28 gauge combo over and under. So for now the side kicks will suffice and I'm having a blast shooting them. Who knows maybe I'll just stick with them and pass on the new combo little gun.............naw......who am I kidding.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 am 
Presentation Grade

gdub41,

Go for the combo gun, the 28/20's are a lot of fun, my brother has a nice Browning 12/20 which is a great combo gun also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man