ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I made a big mistake!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:10 pm 
Crown Grade

desmobob wrote:
single stack wrote:
Buy and shoot a .410 before you waste more money on those big clunky cannons.
.410's are the most fun you can have shooting shotguns.
You'll thank me.

+1

Get a .410. I was surprised when the 28ga seemed equivalent to the 20ga to me. But not the .410. It remains a whole different animal. :wink:

I agree that a .410 is as much fun as it gets. A friend and I shot 56 feral pigeons on a dairy with .410s last weekend. Limiting the shots to 30 yards or so resulted in clean kills with AA Super Sporting Clays loads. And 5-6s will bring down planted pheasants over points like a bag of rocks. They may not be everyone’s choice but they’re well worth a try before you make a decision.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

oldbrdhntr,

Got to admit I use the .410 O/U DT/DH quite a bit to introduce young bird dogs to gun fire by shooting down training birds. Have used the old Savage .410 for about 40 years in this manner, I then move on to the 28 gauge and then up the line as the training continues. The .410 does a good job with our gun dog training.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Post subject: Re: I made a big mistake! As did I!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:54 pm 
Field Grade

I joined this forum and 28 gauge society. On both Pine Creek Grouse Dave does not at all mind teasing me with all his gorgeous double barrels. Damn-it Dave!!!!

Now I have shotgun envy...So the question is 16 or 28 in a sxs?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
lossking,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Penny and her beautiful Grouse taken with the modern L.C. Smith 28 gauge double gun.

I love the look in Penny's eyes. She is still absolutely intense and focused on that grouse. Guess she likes bird hunting huh?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

PawleysJim wrote:

Depends on a couple of things: What are you going to use it for?: Do you have a good pointing dog?; And please, take no offense, I am asking this with a smile, how good a shot are you? 8)

And if you plan on shooting clay targets, and if possible you should because then you get to shoot more, :wink: , hope you will reload those hulls!

Have fun whichever one you get. And remember, there's birthdays and maybe Christmas for wish lists! Get the next one like that!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:38 am 
Field Grade

WIflytier wrote:
PawleysJim wrote:

Depends on a couple of things: What are you going to use it for?: Do you have a good pointing dog?; And please, take no offense, I am asking this with a smile, how good a shot are you? 8)

And if you plan on shooting clay targets, and if possible you should because then you get to shoot more, :wink: , hope you will reload those hulls!

Have fun whichever one you get. And remember, there's birthdays and maybe Christmas for wish lists! Get the next one like that!

Still new at this, Not sure what I would shoot with it Quail probably.
Nope no dog and the cat's too old to teach new tricks, I'm still new so i suck, actually the capt. of Team WE SUCK!

My birthday is Sunday, maybe not to late for a go fund me page, cause when I suggested to my wife a SxS she asked whirlpool or Electrolux?

BTW: don't ever buy an Electrolux reefer, actually use it for a reef.