ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just bought a sight-unseen Franchi 48 AL 28ga.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

I always wanted a Franchi 48 AL Deluxe in 28ga. but never was able to find a 48 AL of any gauge in a local shop so I could see how one fit me. They were discontinued before I got really serious about finding one.

When Dunn's was clearing out the remainder of their 48 ALs in 20ga. for a song, I took a chance and ordered a Deluxe model. It fits me well and I fell in love with it, making me want a 28ga. version even more.

There was a new, old stock 28ga. 48 AL on Gun Broker that I figured I would bid on: a Deluxe model. The auction ended tonight at 9. I thought it ended at 9:30, so I tuned in late, just in time to see that I had been outbid by $25 and the auction had ended. :x

But... I had also located one, NIB, in a pawnshop in Oklahoma City. The wood isn't the most attractive, but it's the only new-in-box 28ga. 48 AL Deluxe I've been able to locate. Even more interesting, it's old enough that the receiver is stamped "Made in Italy" not "Made in Spain."

I rolled the dice and purchased it. It should be here by the end of the week. Fingers are crossed... :|

Post subject: Re: Just bought a sight-unseen Franchi 48 AL 28ga.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congrats, nice score! Let us know how you like it and post some pics if you can.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:00 am 
Diamond Grade

FedEx tacking now shows Monday as the delivery date, and my FFL is closed on Monday. Guess I'll have to wait until next week! :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's worth waiting for!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

lossking wrote:
It's worth waiting for!

I'm hoping so.

I love my 20ga. 48 AL Deluxe. I bought it from Dunns for a great price when they were closing out their stock 0f 48 ALs. It has reasonably pretty wood.

This 28ga. Deluxe was in a pawn shop in Oklahoma City. It's presented as NIB, unsold. The wood looks OK, but not as nice as my 20ga. from what I can tell by the photos. The part that worries me is that this 48 AL says "Made in Italy" on the receiver. They were being made in Spain when Franchi discontinued them in 2017.

I don't know how old the gun would be but it makes me wonder why it sat around unsold for so long. I hope it was just overlooked in the back room or missing from inventory accounting somehow. Or, maybe they got it from a customer who pawned it.

I any case, I'm just hoping it's as described by the seller. I hate buying guns via the Internet but I have to say I've had very good luck so far...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

I picked up the 48 AL today and I'm happy. The serial number indicates it was manufactured in 2007. The only problem I've found with it so far is that it is missing the governor ring. Luckily, it takes the same size ring as the 20ga. version and they are still in stock at Midwest Gun Works for five bucks or Numrich Arms for seven and change. I picked up two, along with a friction ring and spring ring so I'd have a spare set for either of my 48 ALs.

I am happy with the way it looks. The stock looks better in person than in the photos from the seller. It's certainly not the best looking 48 AL Deluxe I've seen, but I can live with it. I forgot to take a couple of photos before I gave the stock a coat of BLO. I'll post some photos later after it dries and I test fire it (I installed the governor ring from my 20ga. so I can test the 28ga.).

I'm settling in and hunkering down as Isaiah is about to go straight over the top of us in about an hour (approx. 8 p.m. EST).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Stay safe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:26 am 
Diamond Grade

lossking wrote:
Stay safe.

Thanks. Made it through with no damage at all... got plenty of much-needed rain, though. Photos of the 28ga. 48 AL will hopefully follow after my visit to the endodontist today. :-(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Attachment:
IMG_0184.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_0194.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

Attachment:
IMG_0185.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_0197.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm headed out to the skeet club to shoot it. At 5.4 lbs. it might be a horrible skeet gun, but it should be great for grouse. I'll see how it functions tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

desmobob wrote:
I'm headed out to the skeet club to shoot it. At 5.4 lbs. it might be a horrible skeet gun, but it should be great for grouse. I'll see how it functions tonight.

I shot three rounds with the shotgun and I only had one little hiccup. It failed to cock the hammer and wouldn't cock when I cycled the action manually two more times. Then, it cocked and fired normally for the rest of the evening. As far as cycling, I had the friction ring set for heavy loads and it functioned perfectly with super sport loads (stout target loads).

When I got home and cleaned it, there was a decent-sized chunk of styrofoam debris from the packaging inside the action by the trigger group! That explained the momentary problem with the gun not cocking.

I was surprised that I had a little difficulty replacing the bolt and bolt handle after cleaning. The 28 ga. required slightly different technique in assembly compared to my 20 ga. but I figured it out shortly and everything went well.

The gun looks much better in person than in the photos and I love it. I'll be toting it in the woods this fall.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It really looks good, and should be a delight in the grouse woods. Congrats on a very nice score.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

lossking wrote:
It really looks good, and should be a delight in the grouse woods. Congrats on a very nice score.

Thank you sir.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Looks great to me! I have three 12s, sold my 20 to my brother, but don’t have a 28 yet. Mind if I ask a ballpark price?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:35 am 
Diamond Grade

1KPerDay wrote:
Looks great to me! I have three 12s, sold my 20 to my brother, but don’t have a 28 yet. Mind if I ask a ballpark price?

I was able to find only two new-in-box 28 ga. deluxe versions, and each went for about $1K. Last year, I bought a new-in-box 20 ga. deluxe version from Dunns for $710. MSRP was something like $1029 or $1049 in 2017 when they were discontinued.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:21 am 
Presentation Grade

Besides the ultra light weight, was there anything else that appealed to you about that gun?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
Besides the ultra light weight, was there anything else that appealed to you about that gun?

Sentiment maybe? And the fact I never owned a long-recoil action semi-auto. I had always wanted a 28ga. 48 AL (for about 25 years) but was afraid to buy one without seeing one in person. When Dunns had the 20ga. deluxe models on clearance for about $700, I figured I'd take a chance and order one.

I loved it but, by then, the 28ga. versions were long gone. I have been casually looking since then and finally found a couple just this month.

So, it was a sub-gauge shotgun I've always wanted, plus a long-recoil semi-auto to help round out my very modest collection of shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've had one for a number of years. You'll love yours, and your wood is prettier than mine!
Boom! goes the report, kerchunck goes the action, poof goes the target!

Have someone else shoot it while you stand off to the side. I can't see the barrel cycle on mine. Amazing engineering from John Browning many years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:17 am 
Diamond Grade

One more question for 48 AL owners: How snugly does your friction ring/spring ring fit on the magazine tube?

The ring on my 20 ga. 48 AL is a snug fit and it's a little bit difficult to get it over the threads on the end of the tube. The ring on my 28 ga. 48 AL is much looser and slides over the threads and up and down the tube easily.

When I ordered a replacement for the governor ring that was missing on my new 28 ga., I also ordered a spare friction ring/spring ring set. Out of curiosity, I tried them on the 28 ga. and they were a snug fit, like the ones on the 20 ga. I left the snug-fitting rings on and kept the looser ones as spare parts.

I did shoot 75 rounds of supersport loads through the new 28 ga. using the looser-fitting rings that came on it. It functioned perfectly. I'll try the same loads with the tighter ring set tomorrow afternoon at the skeet club.