ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28ga field ammunition
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Talk to me about factory 28ga loads for upland. I see Fiochi makes some of the cheapest hunting loads out there, but are they any good? I recently picked up my first 28ga and I need some shells before quail season opens in October and I am clueless as to which brand/load(s) are best in 28ga.

Post subject: Re: 28ga field ammunition
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Buy a box of a few different brands of shells and pattern them to find out if they’re any good. Very rarely will two shotguns perform the same with identical loads, so it is incumbent upon the owner to find out which shells pattern the best in their firearm.

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Tex68W wrote:
Talk to me about factory 28ga loads for upland. I see Fiochi makes some of the cheapest hunting loads out there, but are they any good? I recently picked up my first 28ga and I need some shells before quail season opens in October and I am clueless as to which brand/load(s) are best in 28ga.

Fiocchi ,Winchester,Challenger,Federal,Remington,Browning all make quality 28 gauge ammunition.Never hunted quail,but have used the 28 gauge for many years on partridge(ruffed grouse) and rabbits(snowshoe hare).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Good to know that they all make decent stuff within the 28bore.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:17 am 
Crown Grade

To the best of my knowledge, 28 gauge ammunition is all premium .No box store low grades available.Probably due to the low volume of 28 gauge ammunition compared to 12 or 20 gauge sales.

Just my opinion.:)

What did you get for your first 28 gauge gun?The 28 gauge is very addictive ,so I doubt it will be your last.:)

Check out the 28 Gauge Society web site.Lots of addicts there,no hope to a return to normal life for them,I am afraid.LOL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:01 am 
Tournament Grade

28 gauge wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, 28 gauge ammunition is all premium .No box store low grades available.Probably due to the low volume of 28 gauge ammunition compared to 12 or 20 gauge sales.

What did you get for your first 28 gauge gun?The 28 gauge is very addictive ,so I doubt it will be your last.:)

Check out the 28 Gauge Society web site.Lots of addicts there,no hope to a return to normal life for them,I am afraid.LOL

I picked up a Beretta 686 SP1 with 28" tubes. Nothing too fancy, I just wanted a reliable O/U for quail and I didn't want anything too pretty where I'd be concerned about messing it up in the field. I have a few other 686/87 guns and they are simply work horses/tanks, you can't go wrong with a 68x gun.

I'll be sure to check out the 28ga Forum, it sounds like it might be a rabbit hole towards sub gauge addiction lol. I have been trending smaller for years now with the 12ga's only coming out for waterfowl/geese/cranes and the occasional wild pheasant hunt. I almost always grab for one of the 20ga guns but I fear that'll soon turn into favoring the 28ga lol. I'll pick up a few flats of 28ga shells the next time I am at the store and see which load I like best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tex,

28 is correct and you can add RST & Poly to that list also. I have used them all from time to time all good shells.

I like the RST & Poly shells for my L.C. Smith guns, I order from Lion Country and they ship to my door in the back woods of Potter County, Pa.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Not real sure about best for quail but I'm guessing #7-1/2 shot? If so just use any target load.

Winchester has the best hull life, which is important to reloaders. Winchester also offers 1 oz. 28ga loads in #7-1/2, #6, and #5 shot using the same hull as their 3/4oz. 28g win AA HS which come in #7-1/2, #8, and #9 shot.

If you think you might ever reload, the consensus seems to be that the Win. AA HS hulls outlast everything else. If not, as suggested, most anything should be decent.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

odlthompson,

I like the 8's for Quail, Grouse and Woodcock under the 1st trigger of my double gun, 7 1/2's or even 6's under the 2nd trigger, depending on the foliage and how far away the birds are coming up.

I do not reload any more.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Tex68W wrote:
28 gauge wrote:

I picked up a Beretta 686 SP1 with 28" tubes. Nothing too fancy, I just wanted a reliable O/U for quail and I didn't want anything too pretty where I'd be concerned about messing it up in the field. I have a few other 686/87 guns and they are simply work horses/tanks, you can't go wrong with a 68x gun.

I'll be sure to check out the 28ga Forum, it sounds like it might be a rabbit hole towards sub gauge addiction lol. I have been trending smaller for years now with the 12ga's only coming out for waterfowl/geese/cranes and the occasional wild pheasant hunt. I almost always grab for one of the 20ga guns but I fear that'll soon turn into favoring the 28ga lol. I'll pick up a few flats of 28ga shells the next time I am at the store and see which load I like best.

Sounds like you have a nice 28 gauge that should work well for your quail hunting needs.

The 28 Gauge Society site can be a little slow at times,but there is a nice hard core group there ,that are always most willing to help you out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Your basic Win AA sporting clay ammo is available in 7.5 and 8.5, perfect for quail over dogs.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes it's usually quail over dogs, we shoot a lot of 7.5's normally. I keep 6's for pheasant, but that's with the 12ga and 20ga. I had a Dillon 650 and tried my hand at reloading for a while but I never enjoyed it as it felt more like work than anything fun so I won't be bothering with reloads. I appreciate the feedback, it sounds like I can try a little bit of everything and see what patterns best and go form there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:50 pm 
Crown Grade

IF your 28 is chambered for 3", Fiocchi now makes a 3" 28 gauge load. Personally, for quail, a basic load of 8s for quail will do the job

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:40 pm 
Field Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Tex,

28 is correct and you can add RST & Poly to that list also. I have used them all from time to time all good shells.

I like the RST & Poly shells for my L.C. Smith guns, I order from Lion Country and they ship to my door in the back woods of Potter County, Pa.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Dave,

I need a little guidance on the RST & Poly What do you recommend for a 28 ga s/a dove load?.

I have patterned with the various stock chokes with B&P Dove and B&P Comp 1 and Herter's target loads. Honestly there is not a lot of difference using different shells except of coarse the Full. Too tight for clays and dove. Additionally though the shot was pretty much equal in all four quadrants and the 10" 20" & 30" all had the same numbers...But more importantly they all had holes in the pattern that a clay or dove might not get killed.

Shooting clays this weekend I stared with a Briley extended IM and quickly replaced it with a standard modified. I had much more success with the modified. I expect a set of Muller's this week; and I will see if they make a difference patterning.

Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:32 am 
Presentation Grade

Jim,

Unfortunately I have not hunted Doves in a long time. I know Don Moody used a lot of 7 1/2's, B&P, if I remember correctly for Dove hunting, and some other shells also. I use the SpredR RST and Poly SpredR's for Grouse, Woodcock and Quail.

Can't really give a recommendation for shooting Doves with the SpredR's, maybe some of the Texas guys can give you a recommendation.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:04 am 
Tournament Grade

This isn't 28ga specific but I use the same shells for dove that I use for my upland needs. Usually 7.5's as I've seen dove and some late season quail laugh off 8's. Pheasant usually get 6's.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

The AA28-#8 works great for me on Quail out to 40 yards. So throw in the AASC28-#7.5 for Grouse or longer range shots at quail. The the Winchester 1 ounce works so good with #5-#6 for larger birds like pheasant and your covered.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Found some 28ga Federal High Brass 1oz 7.5 shot at the local Wal-Mart of all places, $11 a box so I bought what they had.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tex68W,

I was just at Wal-Mart and unfortunately they had no 28 gauge shells at all, they probably just sold out we do have a lot of shooting sportsman here in the Murrysville, Pa area. The cost you purchased your shells at is definite good, have fun shooting! I will probably not get that same cost here in Pa for the 28 gauge Federal shells.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:36 am 
Tournament Grade

I agree with oneounceload, both Winchester and Remington make 28 ga sporting clays ammo which make great quail loads.