ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning O/U
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:37 am 
Field Grade

Looking at some browning over unders, including a XT ,the citori cx or cxt and maybe a 725 of some sort.

I understand that the brownings are neutrally cast but some have either right or left palm swells. How uncomfortable is the right hand palm swell for a lefty?

My market here in Canada doesnt seem to have too many dedicated lefty gun in the used market .

Im trying to picture what the palm swell looks like but cant seem to find a good picture of it to see how much it stands out or if it could be slightly modified.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Browning O/U
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:52 am 
Tournament Grade

I've handled a few RH 725's and I didn't think the palm swell was a factor. That being said, unless I found a really good deal on a RH gun, I'd try to get a lefty if possible. If only because I'm spending a lot of cash for it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Removing palm swell if you don’t like it couldn’t be that big of a job. Matching the checkering could be an issue and also add to the cost, but it still seems like a modest job.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am left handed and dislike both right and left hand palm swells. They just seem uncomfortable. Got rid of a RH 625 mainly because of that. That is why I like the Euro Cynergy and Cynergy CX. I own both. No cast and no palm swell.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:39 pm 
Utility Grade

I am a lefty. I just purchased a right handed 725 field model. I do not notice any problems with the palm swell! just came back from a pheasant hunt and had no trouble hitting the birds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:55 am 
Tournament Grade

smkymtnboy wrote:
I am a lefty. I just purchased a right handed 725 field model. I do not notice any problems with the palm swell! just came back from a pheasant hunt and had no trouble hitting the birds.

I agree.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:31 am 
Limited Edition

I have an XS Pro-Comp and the palm swell is VERY prominent. I cannot imagine that a lefthander would like it being there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:53 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a 12 gauge Citori 725 and a 12 gauge Cynergy. Both are Field models and the best guns I have EVER shot lefty. I don't notice anything with palm swell. I've hit 32/36 pheasants this season and it's definitely a result of how well these guns fit me. Both of these Browning's patterned bead on bird, with a very even distribution of shot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:43 pm 
Field Grade

I played a game of skeet with a borrowed 725 Sporting last night. The right-handed palm swell did not bother me, but I agree with the previous poster in that you should try for a left-handed gun if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm 
Crown Grade

smkymtnboy wrote:

Do you really accept spending that much money for a compromise? Aren’t there fine guns without palm swell so that handedness is unimportant. Assuming cast can be adjusted to suit, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:26 pm 
Crown Grade

jrmev wrote:
I am left handed and dislike both right and left hand palm swells. They just seem uncomfortable. Got rid of a RH 625 mainly because of that. That is why I like the Euro Cynergy and Cynergy CX. I own both. No cast and no palm swell.

Jim

Palm swell is just made up feature designed to help justify the price of the gun. Pointless for the shooter. Pistols don’t have it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:49 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a right hand 725 sporting, neutral cast and the palm swell is almost unnoticeable. One of the shooters we squad with on a regular basis is a lefty and says it would not stop her from buying the gun. That said, I have noticed there are several left hand 725 sporting guns for sale on Gunbroker and usually for less money than the right hand versions.