ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Semi-autos, do lefties need LH models?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:08 am 
Diamond Grade

A shell catcher on a RH gun shooting left handed is distracting.

I’m 66 and just got my first LH auto, I like it, never bothered me but it does seem better this way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I had a Browning A5 startle me with the spent shell years ago. I was a teenager at the time and it put me off semi auto shotguns. I avoided them but as I get into my old age especially after shoulder surgery, I started looking for a lower recoil. I have several Break action shotguns guns a few semi auto rifles, a LH bolt action rifle but only 1 pump.
It occurred to me that gas and debris from my Mossberg is not a problem, it never was with Wingmasters either. I looked at getting an 1100 in 20 ga but I couldn’t justify the $1500 plus up on the price over a RH model. I am currently waiting for a RH standard 1100 to get to my local shop.

Once I get a chance to shoot it a bit, I’ll report further but I am optimistic. Sometimes RH equipment actually works better for me. I have a Penn Senator LH and it is harder for me to use than my right handed reels.

Last edited by Ti317 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am right handed, but I shoot long guns left handed. I shot right handed from age 6 to 9, then had to switch because my eye dominance flipped. I have shot 56 years left handed and 53 of that with pumps. I have never had a problem with empties crossing my eyesight. In fact, being right handed reloading the gun feels better with a right hand action. I got a LH Rem 870 Wingmaster in the '70s and loved the gun, but reloading was like riding a bike backwards. I ended up holding it by the pistol grip with my left hand and rolling it over to load with my right hand. I recently bought my first ever semiautomatic and I bought a RH model and it is as natural as shooting my RH pumps. I have SxS's and O/U's that have RH breach levers so I have to push hard with my left thumb but I make it work. One day I may buy a LH O/U.

Do what works for you. If I were left handed, I probably would want a LH action.

JB