ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cz woodcock g2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all. This is my first post but I’ve been lingering for a while. I’m in the market for an affordable o/u. I saw a nice looking cz woodcock g2 at sportsman’s warehouse. Does anybody have any experience with these guns? Is it going to be shootable for a lefty? I have plenty of experience in shooting righty guns but never an o/u? Is the cast thing really that big of a deal?

Post subject: Re: Cz woodcock g2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:56 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW, I don't have that particular model but I do have a G2 Bobwhite & a DeHann SO (made by Huglu). They don't have a lot of snob appeal but they are solid, functional guns that look better than their price tag would indicate. Most double guns made in Europe today have cast in the wrong direction for a left hand shooter. The technical terms are "cast on" & "cast off" but for the sake of simplicity, clarity & headache prevention, I am going to refer to it as "left hand cast" & "right hand cast". Major stock alterations are best left to a professional but changing right hand cast to neutral or left hand cast is usually relatively easy to do. Stock makers/ gunsmiths that do stock bending will do it pretty economically I am told. Considering what you have to buy & setting up the jig, that may be your best bet. Should you be inclined to do it yourself, there are articles on the methods but usually it entails directing infrared heat lamps on the wrist section of the stock & applying a force to the stock in the direction of the desired bend over the required number of hours. It is not difficult but do some research & reading beforehand! I don't offer any such service to the public but I have successfully bent a half dozen or so of my own double guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:48 am 
Tournament Grade

The stocks on those are backwards. It's not just cast. They twisted the stocks to impress RH shooters.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you shoulder a gun with significant cast off (right hand stock), you will know it immediately. You will not be able to get your eye to center on the rib without contortion. A lot of right handed guns also have a right hand palm swell. I don't care for palm swell on either side but a lot of people are not bothered.

Jim