ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Relearning to Mount with Left Hand Stock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:41 pm 
Field Grade

I have been a lefty shooting non-left handed guns my whole life. My sporting clays gun has been a Beretta 690 with a RH cast. I felt it actually has fit me well and I have shot it a lot and done fairly well with it. However, Ifinally invested in an upgrade and picked up an F3 with my first left hand stock.

At first I have struggled a bit with it, but practicing my mount at home, I am finding my body is subconsciously going to the old stock mount. Especially my head, I am placing it such that my jaw and cheek are on the stock somehow. I have to force myself to mount to the cheek only. When I do that, I feel the stock fits well. However, when I am out on the course it is so easy to slip back into old habits.

Has anybody else gone down this road and had these issues? I have my gun sitting near the kitchen and every time I walk buy I practice a bunch of mounts. If anybody has any advice, I would love to hear it.

Regards,
Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Relearning to Mount with Left Hand Stock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:55 pm 
Crown Grade

It took me a while to get used to a LH Beretta from a RH Browning, especially when you add in the different dimensions, not just the cast. The Beretta has an adjustable comb, so that is helping me get it where I do not try to fit myself to a RH stock

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Right handed people even have trouble sometimes finding a shotgun that shoulders naturally choosing among right-handed stocks, so I imagine you would have the same issue with changing to a different shotgun regardless of right or left handedness. It's even harder for left-handed people because the options are limited and shims to adjust cast and drop aren't always available.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm a left hand shooter that has bought cast on guns (left hand cast) that are bent too much for me. On my guns that have an adjustable comb, I usually end up adjusting them to neutral; that is NO cast. Gun fit is not universal. Don't assume that a LH gun will fit just because you're a southpaw.
I recently bought a Beretta 694 in left hand and find that, like Spizzer, I need to soften my mount to make it work. I'm going to give it a few more flats before I either bend the stock to neutral, or cut in an adjustable comb.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:51 pm 
Field Grade

TAHD wrote:
Right handed people even have trouble sometimes finding a shotgun that shoulders naturally choosing among right-handed stocks, so I imagine you would have the same issue with changing to a different shotgun regardless of right or left handedness. It's even harder for left-handed people because the options are limited and shims to adjust cast and drop aren't always available.
True statements! I think I have slowly been unlearning the technique I have been using with RH cast. After practicing mounting, and video taping, I am starting to feel really comfortable with it. I can look at an object in the distance, close my eyes, mount and look, and be spot on.

Thanks,
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:58 pm 
Field Grade

marshfield wrote:
I'm a left hand shooter that has bought cast on guns (left hand cast) that are bent too much for me. On my guns that have an adjustable comb, I usually end up adjusting them to neutral; that is NO cast. Gun fit is not universal. Don't assume that a LH gun will fit just because you're a southpaw.
I recently bought a Beretta 694 in left hand and find that, like Spizzer, I need to soften my mount to make it work. I'm going to give it a few more flats before I either bend the stock to neutral, or cut in an adjustable comb.
My shooting buddy here has a 694 (RH), and I have shot it, and it feels much like my 690. I was in a gun shop in Florida last winter and they had a lefty 694. I got all excited and tried it. I don’t know what it had going on, but it didn’t fit at all. Really surprised me! I have learned that some guns fit me well and others I can’t even force to fit. A friend wanted me to try his K-gun one day and I couldn’t even get close to getting my head in the right spot. He was a smaller guy and had it custom fit to him.

Thanks for your input.

jeff