ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Are you right handed but shoot left handed?
yes, really right handed but shoot left handed 82%  82%  [ 252 ]
no, I am really left handed all the way. 18%  18%  [ 57 ]
Total votes : 309
 Post subject: Re: How many left handed shooters are right handed?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:21 pm 
Utility Grade

My father was right handed but left eye dominate...im right handed & right eyed, thank god....the gun maker discrimination against lefties frustrates me....my son is right handed but left eye dominate...so all my shotguns are of no use to him without expensive restocking....I just wish there were more selections for my son...pickens are slim for lefties

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:34 pm 
Limited Edition

My grand daughter is 12 and I am introducing her to the shooting sports. She is right handed but she is left eye dominant. Her optometrist diagnosed her right eye as "lazy" when she was 7. So before get started actually shooting, I am teaching gun safety first, and I asked her which side she wants to shoot on, left or right. She has been handling the guns during safety instruction of course so she instantly answered "I want to shoot right". I am thinking it will be good practice for her "lazy" eye. It will be interesting to see if she can change her eye dominance.

16 Gauge Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Left handed and left eye dominant.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Life Member
ATA Member
USPSA Member (TY-12055)
NSCA Member

Dave Brown

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

D Brown wrote:
Left handed and left eye dominant.

Dittto.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

bump:
Just thought I would revive this, for newer shooters who did not see it before.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Right handed left eye dominant shoot lefty.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:25 am 
Limited Edition

Do everything RH except shoot long gun and bow, I am severely left eye dominant. RH pistol shooter, go figure!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:51 am 
Diamond Grade

Right handed left eye.

Pumps are really easy to reload, the port is right there when you flip it over and dig the shells out with my right hand that is free.

I’ve converted nearly all my safeties.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Right handed, left eye dominant, shooting left handed for 60 years. Two Ithaca Model 37s with LH safeties, all my other shotguns have two barrels.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

What happens at Alger Flats stays at Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:19 am 
Utility Grade

I' am right handed and left eye dominant and have always shot left handed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Both my kids

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:27 am 
Utility Grade

Wow! I can't believe I'm not the only one who has this cross dominant issue. I just took up clay shooting after a 35 year layoff. I used to be pretty good shooting right handed. But when I went for the first time last week, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Come to find out, I'm left eye dominant now. So tomorrow, I'm going to try shooting left handed or the first time. I'll report back on the results.

To be continued...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, I had my second outing today with the intention of shooting left handed. I had zero success so I put apiece of tape over my dominant eye and shot right handed with less impressive results. Finally, I gave up and closed my dominant left eye and shot right handed as I always have and started breaking some clays. Not many but about half.

Hopefully, I'll get better as I go along because I sure enjoyed myself. Even my wife enjoyed going along. She was the one sending the targets for me. I will continue to try shooting left handed to see if I can get the hang of it though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

fire/ready/aim wrote:
Wow! I can't believe I'm not the only one who has this cross dominant issue.

You're not.

Look up on this thread :D

Last edited by MNGunner on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:29 pm 
Field Grade

I am naturally left handed but mildly right eye dominant. I shoot left handed and do mist other things left handed other than golf which i learned right handed and couldn't try to golf left handed now.

I used to use eye patches on my shooting glasses to force the left eye to take over. After doing it enough and recently buying an "Eye Rail" front bead from Ben Huestwaite I have been able to take the patches off and shoot both eyes open without the right taking over anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Strangely, my dad's the opposite. He's a lefty when it comes to writing, but he shoots right handed and is right eye dominant.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Twin 24 year old females at the range a few weeks ago.
One is right eye/right hand but her sister is right hand with a twist.
Both are shooting handguns and rifles right handed and doing well. We move over to the wobbler pit. One sister shooting her gun right handed and knocking them down regularly. Her sister is shooting right handed and can't hit diddly. She turns around and asks if she can try shooting left handed. When she does she kills it...mounted the gun lefty like she's been doing it forever. Right handed not so much.

Never seen that before but hey. It worked.

tp (in wonder)

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:11 am 
Utility Grade

Right-handed, left (or cross) eye dominant. Found out early playing baseball that I could throw right-handed but batted left. Actually do everything right except bat and golf. But, back to shooting: it definitely feels "right" to shoot right so, do I close my left eye (or tape over the left lens) or start learning the odd art (to me) of shooting lefty? What have others found to be easier? I see some ppl have learned to change their dominant eye...any tips on how to do that? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:33 pm 
Field Grade

Winny12 wrote:
Right-handed, left (or cross) eye dominant. Found out early playing baseball that I could throw right-handed but batted left. Actually do everything right except bat and golf. But, back to shooting: it definitely feels "right" to shoot right so, do I close my left eye (or tape over the left lens) or start learning the odd art (to me) of shooting lefty? What have others found to be easier? I see some ppl have learned to change their dominant eye...any tips on how to do that? Thanks!

I am cross eye dominant based on all the self administered tests but not so strong that I ever had to completely close one eye to shoot or wink it. I always shot with both eyes open but missed a lot and learned my right eye was taking over some times without me knowing it.

The 1st thing that I tried which actually worked really well but looked really stupid was to put a dark tent lens on my right eye and the light orange lens on my left eye. My eyes transitioned quickly to this and did not cause any weird field of view or coloration issues but made the left eye stay in charge.

I then switched to the lens colored occlusion dots that you put over the specific part of your lens that your off eye looks through when focused down the barrel. This works really well too and does not look weird. However it does cause some field of vision issues in your peripheral at times. If style does not mean anything to you I would actually recommend the multiple colored lenses over the occlusion dots.

As of a few weeks ago I have removed the dots and use single piece colored lenses. The only aid that I have is a front bead designed for people with eye dominance issues. The product is called "Eye Rail" and is sold by Ben Huestwaite. It seems to do the trick but I don't really like how it looks on my gun and is generally larger that what I would prefer for a front bead. It does work as intended though so I am overall satisfied.

After a few month of shooting this way I may give it a try to shoot without any eye dominance aids to see if I have done enough eye training to keep the left eye in charge naturally.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, lacyb!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6