ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Are you right handed but shoot left handed?
yes, really right handed but shoot left handed 82%  82%  [ 252 ]
no, I am really left handed all the way. 18%  18%  [ 57 ]
Total votes : 309
 Post subject: Re: How many left handed shooters are right handed?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:55 pm 
Utility Grade

My dad is 100% lefty...

I'm left eye dominant, shoot shotguns, rifles & pool left handed. Everything else is totally right handed.

I remember when I was a little kid at the county fair (much too young to hunt or use real firearms) my mom took me over to the pop gun booth which had air rifles with corks in the end of the barrel to see if I could hit the targets and "win" a prize. I immediately lined up the gun on my left shoulder and she immediately tried to correct me and told me to place the gun on my right shoulder. I tried it that way but couldn't hit anything and told her I can't see sights. So she said, try the other side, so I did and I started knocking down the targets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Pretty interesting that 80% of responses so far, have been that the
shooter is actually right handed but shoots left handed. I bet no
one would have guessed that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm a righty shooting LH cause I'm left eye dominant.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

Benelli Nova (12 ga) Pump

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:13 pm 
Crown Grade

It doesn't really surprise me since my dad is that way. He grew up poor and can really shoot a rifle to this day. He dislikes the taste of squirrel because he ate a heck of a lot of it as a kid. When he was in army basic in the early 60's he tells me he got reamed out by his drill sergeant for shooting LH. He'd put rounds in the same hole with the Garand at the close range targets. The instructor of course did not believe this and claimed he was missing the target completely. :roll: The instructor would yell at him that he should be shooting right handed. I was never in the army but I can only imagine.

Jeremiah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I found out I was shooting with the wrong hand when I took an NRA Instructors seminar. The eye test was one of the first things we were taught. Left eye dominant! Suddenly realized why I could never hit anything with a shotgun or a bow. I switched to the left hand and never looked back, my skeet scores went from 4 or 5 (!) to 20 in a matter of just a few weeks. I can still shoot scoped rifles with either hand but prefer the left, as I have to close the left eye to use the right, and holding the gun up with my left hand just seems awkward. Everything else I do naturally with my right hand. Shooting long guns with my left hand has made a definite difference in my weak hand pistol shooting though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:24 am 
Utility Grade

I used both right and left as a child but still right handed . I could shoot right and left handed back then . Now I shoot left handed when I Hunt ,and practice clay shooting. As I got older I could see the change now I shoot left handed and do every thing else right handed except for shooting pistol still either handed for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:25 am 
Field Grade

I am the youngest of five, when I was little we would play baseball and I would try to bat left handed, one of my brothers or sisters would always come turn me around and switch my hands on the bat. When I was nine and got my first shotgun I couldn't shoot it very well, that's when I figured out I was left eye dominant. I've been shooting LH ever since. I am right handed for the most part, years ago when I was building houses if i got tired nailing rh I would switch and nail lh. Fishing I cast right or left, depending on how I'm fishing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I am left eye dominant. i shoot shotguns, rifles, and pistols left handed. I am slowly switching my bow to the left side which is quite tricky already, but i do everything else right handed. i swing a bat, gold clubs, throw a ball etc all RH i have tried switching everything around but everything seems awkward so i stick to what i know

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Mostly ambidexterous but write best in RH mode.

Left eye dominate but shot RH (w/left eye closed) for ~51 years.

13 months ago came into possession of a LC Smith 16 gauge and decided to shoot a round of wobble trap LH with both eyes open. Broke 18/25 on the first round so decided to seriously go 100% LH for the year. Shot 80% on waterfowl last season and it was truly awesome to be able to see the full field of view (watch puff of feathers when you hit the bird) plus have my depth perception functioning as well.

I have shimmed all the S/A Beretta's and Benelli's to the LH side and have the 16 ga. Elsie (neutral cast) and picked up a LH cast AYA Matador which is my go-to dove & pheasant weapon of choice these days. Had to sell one Beretta O/U as it was RH cast and didn't want to spend ~$400 to have it bent to LH cast. To the best of my knowledge, Browning O/U's are about the only production shotguns with neutral cast.

IF...you operate RH but are Left Eye Dominate...IMO, do not fight it...go with what your brain is telling you and do the left thing! :wink:

Don't wait for 50+ seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:08 am 
Field Grade

Just getting into Skeet and using a new to me O/U. I'm used to shooting left handed, but manipulating the gun to load/unload is still an effort. I know it'll come in time, but it is a PITA getting there. The last time I shot sporting clays, I used a LH 1187 and had no problems whatsoever. It was also pretty funny watching the guy to the left of me on the 5-stand get pelted with flyers from the 1187 as well.

Post subject: Lefty shooter from Greece
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Right handed with LE dominance as most of the others. Do just about everything else right handed. Can handle a rifle/pistol/shotgun both ways now, pistol without closing left eye, but for clay targets I have to go left side since I always shoot them with both eyes open.

Started clay target shooting with a left hand mount, took me a while and some hundreds (or maybe thousands?) of mounts to get the hang of it. Now it feels second nature.

Cant make the perfect instinctive mount needed in competition on the right side anyway, since I did not practise.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:58 pm 
Limited Edition

DevilsAdvocate wrote:
I am curious to know what percentage of you left handed
shooters are right handed but shoot left handed, Also it
might be interesting to know why you shoot with the
weak hand.
In my case I am right handed but left eye dominate. I shoot a hand gun right handed but a rifle & shotgun left handed. It's just what works for me.

2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1 Cross + 3 Nails = 4 Given

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

dawei wrote:
In my case I am right handed but left eye dominate. I shoot a hand gun right handed but a rifle & shotgun left handed. It's just what works for me.[/color]

Same here. I didn't figure it out until until I was 20. It was pretty ugly for a while ... I think it's easier to do a lot of things left handed with a right handed shotgun though. Combat reloads for example because you're looking at the ejection port and don't have to blindly reach over or under the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:33 pm 
Field Grade

I am right handed but I shoot left handed because I could not close my left eye to shoot right handed. My dad discovered it when he was teaching me to shoot when I was a kid.

I now shoot a shotgun with both eyes open to better judge the target distance.

My question; "Is eye dominance inate?" Did I become left eye dominate because I started shooting left handed at such a young age?

Dale Wolff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shoot LH but do everything else RH. Uncorrected vision in my right eye is 20/70 and only about 20/40 corrected. I see fine with my left so that's how I started shooting as a kid. Right or wrong I shoot a handgun RH using my left eye to sight with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:40 pm 
Field Grade

I'm right handed but I shoot left handed because of a very poor vision from my right eye. Been doing it since I was 12. It feels natural.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

I punch with my right hand, but I kick with my left :-p

“There is an innocence in admiration: it occurs in one who has not yet realized that they might one day be admired....Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:58 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

For anyone who do not have the handedness and the master eye on the same side,
the XD Solution can be the answer!

You still shooting with two eyes and mount the gun on your handedness side.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

i am a righty but shoot lefty due to my eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 pm 
Field Grade

I am right handed but shoot left handed b/c I am left-eye dominant. I would not know how to hold a gun in a right-handed fashion.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next