ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Are you right handed but shoot left handed?
yes, really right handed but shoot left handed 82%  82%  [ 252 ]
no, I am really left handed all the way. 18%  18%  [ 57 ]
Total votes : 309
 Post subject: Re: How many left handed shooters are right handed?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LIke a number of others above, I'm right handed, left eye dominant and do essentially everything right handed except shoot rifles, shotguns, and pool. With pistols, I shoot right handed but find it fairly easy to adjust my head slightly to aim with my dominant left eye. I've also found that lefty long gun experience makes weak hand pistol shooting feel quite natural, which can be advantageous in tactical, self defense scenarios.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:52 pm 
Field Grade

I'm and old goat Marine who is 100% left handed. I had to learn to shoot the M-14 left handed as there was no choice in that rifle. Lost part of my hearing because of the concussion from the ejection port on my head. I still shoot everything lefty today. My son is right handed but due to his left eye being dominant, shoots left effectively. I just gave him my Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge which has the max left cast shim in the stock. Fits me like a glove. I'll miss that shotgun.
Good shooting everybody.
Phil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:29 pm 
Utility Grade

i am Right handed , but I have no useful vision in my right eye , so I have to shoot left handed .. been that way since I was a kid...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:40 am 
Tournament Grade

i use a fork and spoon left handed. i shoot pool left handed and i shoot guns left handed. i am left i dominant but believe i have switched to omni-ocular or where neither eye is dominant any more. when i shoulder left or right it doesnt appear right until i close the off eye then open the off eye to know which eye is seeing the bead.

btw i throw right handed and bat right handed. i am pretty much right handed except for those things.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:44 am 
Utility Grade

I'm left handed and Left eye dominate. I primarily shoot left handed for both long gun and pistol. I did however grow up shooting right handed bolt guns and can shoot pretty much as good right handed as left handed. Pistols just feel weird in my right hand, or should I say my grip feels strange. like my left hand doesn't know how to comfortably be a support hand. I do however find little things in my life that I do right handed. Example I carried my knife in my right pocket for years. I still carry my phone and Leatherman on my right side. A plus to that is they don't interfere, nor do I feel awkward when I carry my pistol concealed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:08 pm 
Utility Grade

I am right handed and right eye dominate. I shoot long guns left handed and pistole right handed. I'm above average shot in rifle and pistole but suck as a wing shooter but getting better. Makes me wonder if I should train to shoot right handed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I am right handed and right eye dominate. I shoot long guns left handed and pistole right handed. I'm above average shot in rifle and pistole but suck as a wing shooter but getting better. Makes me wonder if I should train to shoot right handed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:33 am 
Presentation Grade

So starjcb, how did you ever start shooting left handed if you're all 'right'?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:57 pm 
Field Grade

Very hard to shoot right handed when your right eye don't work. Been that way for 60 yrs. My Dad took me rabbit hunting. We had an old JC Higgins .22 auto. I would line up a rabbit and miss. Line up another and miss again. My Dad looks at me and says, throw the dam gun at them. Well he finally seen what the prob was. I was holding the gun on my right shoulder, and looking out of my left eye. We fixed that in a hurry. Pretty soon he called me "dead eye".

Post subject: Re: re: How many left handed shooters are right handed?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mr_Mac wrote:
When I was active duty they trained us to shoot with our weak side in the event that our only cover required us to shoot that way. To this day I still will switch hands at the trap/skeet range or in the field just to stay in practice. I know that wasn't the spirit of the question, but since I did learn that skill...

The exact same thing happened to me. The Marines taught me to shoot from both sides. They were serious about it. To this day I enjoy shooting rifles and pistols from my left "off" side even tho I have to squeeze my right and dominate eye tightly shut. I have yet to shoot a shotgun from the other side...I think I'm too tightly wired to shoot from my natural side.

I have seen several guys who are righties who are left eye dominate. They put a bit of Scotch Tape on their shooting glasses over their pupil, and after some practice, they say, they do just fine.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:15 am 
Field Grade

Yup I'm one of those guys that is Righty and Right eye dominant but shoots long guns Lefty!
My dad is the same,hence my issues!
He learned from a lefty so just coppied what he saw,and I did the same .
I shoot pistols and bows righty,and I have tried shooting sporting clays righty with about equal scores to my lefty days.
It is just how I instinctively mount!
I have shot deer with both hands quite a few times too!
It's definitely a plus with rifles being able to switch hands at will!
I just can't force myself to switch all together with a scatter gun!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:25 am 
Tournament Grade

Left handed here.

Nelson

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:44 am 
Presentation Grade

I am right handed and left eye dominant. Have always shot left handed. What is strange is the fact that I close my right eye during the gun mount. Should not "need" to do this and stay on target but it is so ingrained after 50+ years I cannot change it. HHD

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:35 pm 
Field Grade

Right handed but had to switch to left for shotgun and most rifle due to worsening eye site in right eye. Made the change at 41. It was tough. I think I was always left dominant but worked around it.

Winchester supreme sporting.
Browning BPS
Winchester SuperX2
Two coach guns
Two 870s
Winchester 1300 20ga
A 20ga sxs that has no name
Mossberg 500 in 410
Rossi 410

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:13 pm 
Utility Grade

I am right handed left eye dominant and have always shot long guns left handed. I have never switched safeties. I would probably shoot myself if I did. Never been bothered by shells flying by my face except dove hunting in Mexico where their shells still had flames coming out as they went by. I believe right handed shooters shooting lefty have a big advantage reloading. I shot Sportsman Team Challenge for years where speed in loading was a plus and it was always easier for me than my teammates. I can't see how I could load a left handed auto without trouble.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

DevilsAdvocate wrote:
I am curious to know what percentage of you left handed
shooters are right handed but shoot left handed, Also it
might be interesting to know why you shoot with the
weak hand.

I'm left eye dominant, so I shoot left handed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am left handed, left eyed -- fortunately. I have a buddy who is right handed and left eyed, and he worked on learning to shoot left-handed. He does outstandingly well either way now at sporting clays, but is faster to the first bird right-handed. He's a stock maker too, so changes stocks to suit whatever handedness he's shooting, but the only real difference is he tapes his left lens for right-handed shooting.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:26 pm 
Limited Edition

I am right handed & left eye dominant. I also kick left footed (old punter in football). I have NEVER been able to hold a shotgun on my right side and even remotely feel like I could fire the thing!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:56 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm all screwed up!! I write right handed, eat left handed. I catch and throw right handed, but shoot (shotgun/rifle) left handed. I've never had any training but can soot a pistol with either hand. And to top it all off I think I'm right eye dominant.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:37 pm 
Utility Grade

I am right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot long guns, pool, sweep and mop left handed. I shoot pistols, play golf, box, bowl and play baseball right handed. I may try playing golf left handed as I stink right handed. :)

My grandmother told me as a child I would always reach for things with my left hand but was taught to use my right hand instead.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next